There are 288 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I don't care which of them is a better piece of garbage. The team wasn't going to be above .500 with either of them. This team had to pull so many miracles and all-pros out of their ass to make Jimmy into a semi-functional QB. Thank god we don't have to deal with that s**t anymore.

Why are you even talking about a slow start? If I thought we might start slow, it had more to do with Purdy's rehab from his UCL than anything to do with team DNA.

Jimmy was a good QB for the 49ers. His biggest issue was an inability to stay healthy.
Health was part of it, not being able to execute the plays was the main issue

49ers had a top 10 offense with Jimmy I would assume if he wasn't executing plays that wouldn't be the case.
Being able to only throw to one part of the field limits the playbook and it's why our offense had to be carried by Mostert and deebo when the games count
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by scooterp10:
Trade Brock and a 1st for Caleb Williams?

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He listed the 49ers on his shortlist of teams

Right but you still have to get to the first pick to make it happen. And we'll conservatively be in the mid-late 20's to start. You're talking multiple firsts and players and it would be a bidding war with teams in a stronger position to make better offers.

Theoretically it would be an interesting situation to keep Purdy, trade up to 1 and draft Caleb and then sit him for Purdy's last cheap year. I say theoretically because there's no chance any of this happens, lol.

If he stays healthy all year, what do you think Brock would be worth after this season?
If he stays healthy all year, what do you think Brock would be worth after this season?

I'm not sure. I'm pretty confident that his value to us will be higher than his asking price in a trade regardless.
You got all of that out of one comment pushing back on the idea that we were some massively improved team with Jimmy at the start of last year vs. with Trey, eh? I don't care about Jimmy vs. Trey enough to debate about which loser will still be in the league in a few years. We're 4-0 with Purdy and he's playing well. I'm sorry for interrupting your fetish for reminding us of how much you hate Trey (a player not on the team who has no impact on this team going forward).

I said the team was better with Jimmy at QB than Trey. Which was absolutely f**king obvious to almost everyone (not you apparently). The idea behind playing Trey was that he would hopefully improve over time.

I actually wrote about how likeable Trey was in the post you responded to, lol. You're not very good at this my man.

The only part of the comment I responded to: "Not only did the team improve in the immediate short term by getting Jimmy in over Trey"

All I asked for was for something meaningful backing up this claim that the team was improved in the "immediate short term" when the team immediately lost a game giving up all of 9 points on defense and was under .500 several weeks later. I'm not that interested in an argument over which piece of trash was better.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Oct 5, 2023 at 4:48 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Right but you still have to get to the first pick to make it happen. And we'll conservatively be in the mid-late 20's to start. You're talking multiple firsts and players and it would be a bidding war with teams in a stronger position to make better offers.

Theoretically it would be an interesting situation to keep Purdy, trade up to 1 and draft Caleb and then sit him for Purdy's last cheap year. I say theoretically because there's no chance any of this happens, lol.

Sorry but what a stupid question. You don't trade a franchise quarterback with another 2 years on his rookie deal, especially not one playing at as high a level as Brock. This is moronic even as a hypothetical.

I'm not sure. I'm pretty confident that his value to us will be higher than his asking price in a trade regardless.

Agreed, if he keeps up this pace (or really close to it). I wouldn't even accept four first round picks for him. His value in a sense would be priceless to us because of the category he puts us, and keeps us in, to compete for chips. The odds of replacing it with one of those first would be slim, we would most likely end up back around a Jimmy G caliber qb - which has a big time impact on us competing annually at the level we need to. That's my opinon at least

Especially when you factor in his cap hit and contract timing remaining
[ Edited by tankle104 on Oct 5, 2023 at 5:00 PM ]
The only part of the comment I responded to: "Not only did the team improve in the immediate short term by getting Jimmy in over Trey"

All I asked for was for something meaningful backing up this claim that the team was improved in the "immediate short term" when the team immediately lost a game giving up all of 9 points on defense and was under .500 several weeks later. I'm not that interested in an argument over which piece of trash was better.

Two things:

1. If this was true you wouldn't have questioned what I said, where I clearly claimed there was a difference. A difference that couldn't have been more obvious with the available evidence. This was presented time and time again in the past when the conversation was relevant. Obviously that evidence should be meaningful to someone who is willing to cherry-pick a 3-4 game sample as meaningful (as you're doing right here).

2. Pretty funny to see you pretend I don't like Trey when you describe him as a piece of trash. When emotion gets the better of us…
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 5, 2023 at 5:14 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Agreed, if he keeps up this pace (or really close to it). I wouldn't even accept four first round picks for him. His value in a sense would be priceless to us because of the category he puts us, and keeps us in, to compete for chips. The odds of replacing it with one of those first would be slim, we would most likely end up back around a Jimmy G caliber qb - which has a big time impact on us competing annually at the level we need to. That's my opinon at least

Especially when you factor in his cap hit and contract timing remaining

Personally, you don't trade a generational talent. Period. That's it.

What do you think Tom Brady would have been worth in 2012?

Aaron Rodgers in 2012?

There have been some truly ridiculous trades in NFL history. Ricky Williams and Hershel Walker come to mind. In each case, the team traded away value in the hope of gaining a generational talent. They explored the very rim of rationality, only to be bitterly disappointed.

So, scooter, I understand your point to set out what a unique talent Brock Purdy is right now, however, the very question only points out the fact that some talent cannot be measured in anything less than the appreciation one has when they watch the performance. To me, there is no metric to settle such a question.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Trade Brock and a 1st for Caleb Williams?

Can't see either party (us and the potential #1 pick) ever agreeing to such a trade.

We have what seems like a perfect system fit at an absolute bottom barrel price, and Brock's league wide worth probably isn't enough to get up to the 1 spot for another team (in conjunction with 1 likely very low 1st rounder)

It's an interesting question though.

To me, I would consider it. As crazy as it sounds, I don't think I've ever seen a prospect as impressive as Caleb Williams and I was very high on Patrick Mahomes coming out.

Wow
lol
Have people not learned anything..
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Wow
lol
Have people not learned anything..
Nope, always looking for more.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Save the mental gymnastics friend, there's folks old enough to have seen it all play out. Folks were treating Brady similar to Purdy up until he finally broke out in 2007 and won his first MVP. The year they signed Moss to go with the offensive stars they'd accumulated.

Who cares what 'folks were saying?' They were originally wrong, so it's completely irrelevant.

You obviously...

IIf Brock plays at this level through this year and the first half of next year he is easily a 50 million quarterback we might have to get rid of bosa to pay for him. No word of a lie
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 5, 2023 at 6:01 PM ]
Here we go again.

Share 49ersWebzone