Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Enlarged dinga linga deep ball slinga lol

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Here we go again.

I don't get why some are saying that pass to Aiyuk was under thrown. Aiyuk never slowed down for the pass and had to reach for it with his finger tips. It looked like Purdy led him to an open area where the DB had his back to him and was running full sprint to catch up.

maybe I need to see the play again? Does anyone have All-22 of that particular play?

You know my thoughts on his arm talent overall…I didn't think that was under thrown either.

It wasn't. Sanchez pulled that out of his ass / stammered / misspoke on the broadcast and people ran with it. Watch the play and don't listen to the commentary. Not underthrown at all.

There's no way they didn't practice that throw and route a bunch in camp and practices. And also talk it through between Purdy and Aiyuk on if they see certain reactions from the defenders, Aiyuk would like the placement of the ball or adjust the route for Purdy.

It looked to me like both Aiyuk and Purdy thinking the route and pass should be inside towards the middle. It certainly threw off the safety coming over, cause he haul ass over the top trying to cut off the route thinking Aiyuk gonna go further deeper towards the endzone, instead the ball and the route bends towards the middle.
Originally posted by joeknows:
It was an unconventional throw, no doubt about it. I don't see it as under-thrown, but it hangs up there for quite a while with two defenders in the vicinity. I feel like a more alert safety would have had a chance to make a play on the ball.

But it's just one questionable* decision by a QB who has thrown an incredibly clean game so far this season. So far, having played just 11 games, nobody can take anything away from Brock Purdy for what he has put together on the field.

* Questionable in the truest sense - I'm still pondering it myself, having looked at it a lot.

I don't think it hung up there at all. The trajectory was below 45 degrees. It was more of a low-liner than a moon shot. To me, it looks almost like a back shoulder type of throw where he threw it hard to a spot when the DB had over leverage and their back turned. I think the DB had about a good of a shot playing the ball as DBs do on back shoulders.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by Giedi:
You must have missed Jimmy's 70+% winning percentage and his appearance in the super bowl, his ability to turn a 1-10 bottom feeding team into a 5-0 team, his *numerous* playoff appearances and *playoff wins.* For Jimmy's lack of mobility, and inability to extend plays, and playing behind a small OLine that best cater's to mobile QB's, and fast backs, he's done a terrific job in being a 49er QB. You cite *impossible* subjective criterias for calling someone elite. I basically just look at historical fact. Purdy hasn't been *beaten* yet after 10 regular season games as a rookie. Never mind his 95% single game completion percentage just recently as a 2nd year player vs Joe and Steve's similar accomplishments after being QB for 5+ years. Two playoff wins against top notch defenses throwing ZERO interceptions as a rookie, and I question your own *impossible standards.* It's almost like you're too scared to recognize his eliteness because you are such a negative ninny. Go back to the patriot boards (or wherever you come from) and continue to be a Tom Brady fan. You certainly aren't a 49er fan in my book.

Patriots board? Tom Brady fan? Not a Niners fan? I at least attempted a civil discussion when I responded to your "is he a special QB or not?" post, but I see you're only interested in putting words in others mouths to make some sorta point.

IF you can't take the heat. Get out of the kitchen bud.
You must have missed Jimmy's 70+% winning percentage and his appearance in the super bowl, his ability to turn a 1-10 bottom feeding team into a 5-0 team, his *numerous* playoff appearances and *playoff wins.* For Jimmy's lack of mobility, and inability to extend plays, and playing behind a small OLine that best cater's to mobile QB's, and fast backs, he's done a terrific job in being a 49er QB. You cite *impossible* subjective criterias for calling someone elite. I basically just look at historical fact. Purdy hasn't been *beaten* yet after 10 regular season games as a rookie. Never mind his 95% single game completion percentage just recently as a 2nd year player vs Joe and Steve's similar accomplishments after being QB for 5+ years. Two playoff wins against top notch defenses throwing ZERO interceptions as a rookie, and I question your own *impossible standards.* It's almost like you're too scared to recognize his eliteness because you are such a negative ninny. Go back to the patriot boards (or wherever you come from) and continue to be a Tom Brady fan. You certainly aren't a 49er fan in my book.

Patriots board? Tom Brady fan? Not a Niners fan? I at least attempted a civil discussion when I responded to your "is he a special QB or not?" post, but I see you're only interested in putting words in others mouths to make some sorta point.

Umm you're the one that got sensitive when he brought up Jimmy lol
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Here we go again.

I don't get why some are saying that pass to Aiyuk was under thrown. Aiyuk never slowed down for the pass and had to reach for it with his finger tips. It looked like Purdy led him to an open area where the DB had his back to him and was running full sprint to catch up.

maybe I need to see the play again? Does anyone have All-22 of that particular play?

You know my thoughts on his arm talent overall…I didn't think that was under thrown either.

It wasn't. Sanchez pulled that out of his ass / stammered / misspoke on the broadcast and people ran with it. Watch the play and don't listen to the commentary. Not underthrown at all.

There's no way they didn't practice that throw and route a bunch in camp and practices. And also talk it through between Purdy and Aiyuk on if they see certain reactions from the defenders, Aiyuk would like the placement of the ball or adjust the route for Purdy.

It looked to me like both Aiyuk and Purdy thinking the route and pass should be inside towards the middle. It certainly threw off the safety coming over, cause he haul ass over the top trying to cut off the route thinking Aiyuk gonna go further deeper towards the endzone, instead the ball and the route bends towards the middle.

I'll take it a step further, I think there's some intuitive stuff going on with BA and Brock. As I mentioned in my previous post about how the throw reminded me of a back shoulder. I think both guys know that if there's coverage over the top, to either break the route, or adjust the route. BA flattened the route to beat the over coverage and WHAM the ball was right up on him. It looks strange to folks because it's either really lucky or almost incomprehensibly good. I mean if Brock knew BA was going to flatten there, it's bordering on clairvoyance, which is probably why it's breaking peoples' brains. But Brock himself said that he put the ball where he wanted and saw the defenders. If Brock and BA truly were on the same page there, then that portends huge things for this budding connection.

edit: upon rewatching, it appears BA doesn't flatten until he sees where the ball is in the air. So more of Purdy throwing to a space only BA could adjust to. It's also very unlikely that Purdy missed the other safety as he threw it between the hash while the other safety was right in his line of sight running towards BA beyond the hash.
[ Edited by Chance on Oct 6, 2023 at 8:09 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal1632:
At least I'm honest about my opinions.

Yup...and it completely torpedoes your own take with your 'Jimmy is a tad below elite' comment. Some bar you have set.

There is no comparison between Jimmy and Brock's football IQ's. Was painfully obvious from Brock's first start and then watching Pickeroppolo, James "Jimmy" WTFwasthateroppolo, Jimmy Pirouette N' pick six, qbing the Raaaaaaaaaiiiiideees. Jimmy starts walking on hot coals after the first read, every time.Doesn't see the field well, at all.

Jimmy is a good QB. No need to call him names bud. Not many of our old 49er QB's have even appeared in the NFC Championship games let alone have won at least one. Not many. Brock is a generational talent, nuff said. 49ers have been blessed with some great QB's these past couple of years.
Here we go again.

This
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Here we go again.

This is the same tactics as Cohn. Say something ridiculous and inflammatory to get responses from passionate fans of the subject. The guy doesn't believe that any more than the most passionate defender of Purdy. He just knows that what you did in sharing his ridiculous post will increase his traffic and revenue. It's a widely used tactic in today's sports media. Nick Wright, Skip Bayliss, the clown who came up with this, etc...

KNBR is working with him to amplify his message and create engagement for him and legitimize him. Lame
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Umm you're the one that got sensitive when he brought up Jimmy lol

No, I have pretty strong opinions of Jimmy. A lot of folks here give him grief, and it's my opinion he's a good QB. He has some limitations but doesn't deserve to be called names. Hands down Purdy is definitely a cut above Jimmy. Just on the dimension of *mobility* alone, he's a cut above. That's *one* of the big differences between a guy like Jimmy and a guy like Purdy. Purdy can get away from the DLine and live another day. Jimmy can't.

Originally posted by Montana:

Enlarged dinga linga deep ball slinga lol

Would be hilarious if he started wearing gear that says "262". Lol doesn't seem like his personality. That seems like something more kap would do but would be funny.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Would be hilarious if he started wearing gear that says "262". Lol doesn't seem like his personality. That seems like something more kap would do but would be funny.

Baker did that with his 'walk on' merchandise
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Here we go again.

This

It was underthrown, in a good way
let us compromise
intentionally underthrown, why lead it deep into two DBs?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Baker did that with his 'walk on' merchandise

I understand why some players play with that "prove em wrong" mindset but I think it's generated off of negativity and corrosive to the persons personality. I like that Brock plays with the "grateful" mindset and "prove the guys right who selected me". It's much healthier and less egotistical, better for the long run.
Share 49ersWebzone