There are 288 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Underthrown = the WR has to slow down or come back toward the QB. The opposite happened here. Sanchez was simply wrong in making an off-the-cuff remark.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Somebody superimpose Brock's head on Rocky's body

Brocky Balboa :)

Not my best photoshop that's for sure 😆 I went with the mullet cause I am from NV🙂

LOL where the hell do you guys get this stuff?
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Here we go again.

I don't get why some are saying that pass to Aiyuk was under thrown. Aiyuk never slowed down for the pass and had to reach for it with his finger tips. It looked like Purdy led him to an open area where the DB had his back to him and was running full sprint to catch up.

maybe I need to see the play again? Does anyone have All-22 of that particular play?

You know my thoughts on his arm talent overall…I didn't think that was under thrown either.

It wasn't. Sanchez pulled that out of his ass / stammered / misspoke on the broadcast and people ran with it. Watch the play and don't listen to the commentary. Not underthrown at all.

This

It was underthrown, in a good way
let us compromise
intentionally underthrown, why lead it deep into two DBs?

This. It's like calling a back shoulder throw "underthrown." If it's intentional and leads the WR away from defenders and they make a catch (especially in traffic), how is that "underthrown?" There are other words that can be used to describe such throws.

Sanchez, is a QB, like Brock. He's not dogging Brock. Just saying Brock stopped short on that throw.

Brock threw it short and BA made the grab, they were on the same page
this is a legit move ppl, have you guys never heard of stopping short?

Underthrown = the WR has to slow down or come back toward the QB. The opposite happened here. Sanchez was simply wrong in making an off-the-cuff remark.

Sanchez is a ding dong.... the throw is called "setting down the receiver to open grass", it's a type of throw only mature experienced QBs make if it's the post BA caught
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Oct 6, 2023 at 10:13 AM ]

He threw it the ONLY PLACE the WR can get it and the DB's covering over the top deep can't. It's a DIME for a 41 yard gain. Awesome processing and great throw. I have no idea why people are second guessing this so much.

Now deep bomb completions are a "bad play."

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 6, 2023 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He threw it the ONLY PLACE the WR can get it and the DB's covering over the top deep can't. It's a DIME for a 41 yard gain. Awesome processing and great throw. I have no idea why people are second guessing this so much.

Why are they? Because they listened to what Sanchez said and consider it to be true.

It was not true.
It was a bad comment.
The ball was not under thrown.
Turn off the sound and watch. Your eyes will tell you that Sanchez erred or misspoke.
Q
E
D
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Why are they? Because they listened to what Sanchez said and consider it to be true.

It was not true.
It was a bad comment.
Turn off the sound and watch. Your eyes will tell you that Sanchez erred or misspoke.
Q
E
D

It's a perfect ball placed where it should be. 2 DB's covering very deep over the top. They must by worried about Aiyuk's speed. Because they were way deep. Probably the way it's practiced is to flatten that route and throw shorter if that's the case. To give the WR the chance and not the DB's. The fact that Purdy sees that and puts it the only place it can be caught by the offense is incredible. He plays like a 10 year veteran. His processing and reads are phenomenal.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 6, 2023 at 10:21 AM ]

It was not true.
It was a bad comment.
Q
E
D

It is underthrown, in the sense there are two DBs over the top. If the DBs didn't have depth, you would want the ball out in front more. That's really what the route calls for. BA to win downfield and get behind or at least stretch the secondary, ARZ was playing it really respecting the ability of BP to put it wayy downfield. This is contrary to some of the noodle takes we hear around here. They were refusing to let BA get by them, so you throw it short. This is football, the D dictates what happens with the football, put it where they ain't.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

It was not true.
It was a bad comment.
Q
E
D

It is underthrown, in the sense there are two DBs over the top. If the DBs didn't have depth, you would want the ball out in front more. That's really what the route calls for. BA to win downfield and get behind or at least stretch the secondary, ARZ was playing it really respecting the ability of BP to put it wayy downfield. This is contrary to some of the noodle takes we hear around here. They were refusing to let BA get by them, so you throw it short. This is football, the D dictates what happens with the football, put it where they ain't.
BA had to snatch the ball out of the air behind and above his head. He did not come back to the ball or slow down in any way. If anything, the ball was overthrown by 2 feet, as it would then have hit him in the chest.
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Oct 6, 2023 at 10:26 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Chance:
I'll take it a step further, I think there's some intuitive stuff going on with BA and Brock. As I mentioned in my previous post about how the throw reminded me of a back shoulder. I think both guys know that if there's coverage over the top, to either break the route, or adjust the route. BA flattened the route to beat the over coverage and WHAM the ball was right up on him. It looks strange to folks because it's either really lucky or almost incomprehensibly good. I mean if Brock knew BA was going to flatten there, it's bordering on clairvoyance, which is probably why it's breaking peoples' brains. But Brock himself said that he put the ball where he wanted and saw the defenders. If Brock and BA truly were on the same page there, then that portends huge things for this budding connection.

edit: upon rewatching, it appears BA doesn't flatten until he sees where the ball is in the air. So more of Purdy throwing to a space only BA could adjust to. It's also very unlikely that Purdy missed the other safety as he threw it between the hash while the other safety was right in his line of sight running towards BA beyond the hash.

Good s**t, whether purposefully or happy accident. I just think we're all over analyzing 2 guys connecting, just playing football.

Lol, definitely. If it wasn't for folks in national media portraying this play as a negative on Brock, I'd be over the over-analysis.

In no way is that ball under thrown.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I know what side of the argument you're on, but even in this instance, a back shoulder throw causes the WR to slow down and sometimes come back towards the QB. Perhaps it's a deep out and the CB makes a great break. If the QB throws it short, the WR has to work back towards the QB, away from the defender. In neither of those cases would anyone call those passes underthrown.
Folks are really making a big deal out of a 42 yard completion from a near perfect performance. God, it's great being a fan of a winning organization who finally has their FQB.

It's like SD says, he flattens the route,
as he's adjusting to the ball in the air
this is a QB and WR on the same page, it's great football, let's do away with the conception of underthrown = bad, perhaps we can agree on that front

ikr
Share 49ersWebzone