Report: 49ers WR Brandon Aiyuk suffered torn ACL and MCL, possibly other damage →

There are 340 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but decent analysis lots of focus on footwork

"Look at that pocket. He has one of the best o lines in football"
Lol, we're not tier 1 so what ever you see is smoke and mirrors

Purdy is fast in short area quickness but man.. I was just watching the 1984 season super bowl between 49ers and Miami - idk if I've ever seen a qb drop back so quickly and gracefully as Montana did. He had such long legs that he took up a lot of distance in each step, very quick feet. Pretty cool to watch. He had a nice scramble play to convert a third down in that game and damn he was quick on his younger years.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Purdy is fast in short area quickness but man.. I was just watching the 1984 season super bowl between 49ers and Miami - idk if I've ever seen a qb drop back so quickly and gracefully as Montana did. He had such long legs that he took up a lot of distance in each step, very quick feet. Pretty cool to watch. He had a nice scramble play to convert a third down in that game and damn he was quick on his younger years.

I was just thinking of that SB, XIX..now I think I gotta watch it lol
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but decent analysis lots of focus on footwork

"Look at that pocket. He has one of the best o lines in football"

As bad as NFL line play is these days, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the truth. Just because they have Trent, they are better than most, and Banks has been really good so far in his career.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Was just about to share this video. All the QBs following in JTO's footsteps now lol
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:

Was just about to share this video. All the QBs following in JTO's footsteps now lol

Just wait until Nate Sudfeld gets a channel.

This was a great breakdown. I love the drops to the left then throws deep right. Great stuff. Way to draw players off and then just throw a strike. Looks like a damn vet, MVP
Originally posted by Montana:

This was a great breakdown. I love the drops to the left then throws deep right. Great stuff. Way to draw players off and then just throw a strike. Looks like a damn vet, MVP

If he keeps playing the way he has then I don't know how he's not in MVP discussions at the very least

There are so many tiny pieces that he has added into his repertoire this offseason that it has had a big impact on his game. The casual fan is just not picking up on all of them. Especially that dropping back like a left handed QB and making the switch to the right. He makes that s**t look easy and natural like. His footwork is clean, crisp and beautiful to watch. I see no more tendencies besides maybe favoring the left side of the field a little more than the right. Still, DAL defense is a big test. If he plays well and we win, perception will change even more.

If he keeps playing the way he has then I don't know how he's not in MVP discussions at the very least

He's gotta be leading right now one would think. One could make the case for Hurts or Tua but it's still way too early obviously. This was a great breakdown. This is why I never think he will fall off, he is a surgeon and understands where people are at most times and understands what the defenses are doing. He's a perfect fit with Shanny.
[ Edited by TreyDeyEeyDey on Oct 7, 2023 at 6:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Sorry if this is a repost, but check this out (pay wall but worth it!):

https://theathletic.com/4226466/2023/02/24/nfl-quarterbacks-s2-cognition-test/

Purdy aced the S2 cognition test, which supposedly only the elite QB can ace!

I copy and pasted the good parts, so this isn't the entire text, but most of the good stuff......

The test he absolutely aced — and one that predicted his brilliant rookie season for the 49ers — was administered out of public view. Purdy landed in the mid 90s on something called the S2 Cognition test, a score you might consider Drew Brees-like.

Which is to say, it's elite.

The S2 isn't an intelligence test like the 50-question Wonderlic exam but rather measures how quickly and accurately athletes process information. It's like the 40-yard dash for the brain.

"The game will never be too fast for Brock, I'll say that," said Brandon Ally, a neuroscientist and cofounder of Nashville-based S2 Cognition. "I don't think he'll ever have trouble adjusting."

He couldn't give out Purdy's exact score because it's privileged information but said it was in the "mid 90s." That's about where Brees, the former Saints quarterback famous for lightning-fast decision-making, scored and where two of the top passers in the league now, the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Bills' Josh Allen, also landed. The Bengals' Joe Burrow took the test while at LSU and agreed to allow S2 to disclose the information.

Of course he did — he scored in the 97th percentile.

"We consider anything above the 80th percentile to be elite," Ally said.

For decades the NFL used the Wonderlic to measure intelligence. The questions start out easy — What's the eighth month of the year?, for example — and get progressively more difficult. Most people can't finish the 12-minute exam. While a high Wonderlic score suggests a quarterback knows how to study and will remember the playbook, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll hold up well against a zero blitz.

Brees is a good example. He got a 28 on the Wonderlic, which is very good, but not superior. His S2 score, meanwhile, was exceptional. Ally said the cognition test not only can forecast whether a quarterback will be successful in the NFL, it comes close to predicting the quarterback's career passer rating.

The company recently looked at 27 starting quarterbacks. (Some of the older veterans like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers had entered the league before S2 began testing in 2015 and there are no scores for them; Brees took the test while already playing in the NFL.) Of that group, 13 had a career passer rating above 90. The average S2 score of those players was the 91st percentile. Those with passer ratings below 90 had much lower test results.

"Those 14 guys, the average score was in the low 60s," Ally said.

Top-tier quarterbacks have the highest average scores, followed closely by safeties. That makes sense considering safeties are known as the "quarterback of the defense" and must keep an eye on multiple moving opponents.

"The average human being can keep track of about three and a half objects at a time," Alley said. "The average safety in the NFL, it's closer to six."

The positions with the third-highest scores: linebacker and cornerback.

The highest S2 score in last year's draft class, in fact, was turned in by a cornerback, Trent McDuffie, who started 15 games for the Chiefs, including the Super Bowl.

Purdy's score wasn't too far behind. According to Ally, the 49ers quarterback did particularly well in three areas. One of them was spatial awareness, which translates in several aspects of the game, including how well a quarterback can assess a defense before the snap.

Another area in which Purdy excelled was distraction control.

"Those are the guys — and Drew Brees was one of those — who, the pocket, the world could be collapsing around them and they can just maintain that steely focus on what they're supposed to be doing," Ally said.

Finally, Purdy was especially impressive when it came to depth perception speed.

"He was in some pretty elite company," Ally said. "I mean, he was in the high 90s on that."

As for the 49ers' other young quarterback, Trey Lance?

Ally couldn't reveal the exact number but said Lance "scored well."

"He's not in the Brock Purdy range but he didn't score poorly," he said.

Justin Fields also supposedly aced it. CJ Stroud apparently bombed it but is killing it this far as a rookie. Test is way overhyped.

Or maybe there's just a lot more to quarterbacking that fast reflexes? You can see Fields' reaction time when he dodges people. But what else does it test? Does it test vision? Maybe. But what about study habits, or comprehension of defenses/scheme? Brock isn't just a fast processor of information, or a guy who has quick reflexes. He's also Peyton Manning in the film room.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:

He's gotta be leading right now one would think. One could make the case for Hurts or Tua but it's still way too early obviously. This was a great breakdown. This is why I never think he will fall off, he is a surgeon and understands where people are at most times and understands what the defenses are doing. He's a perfect fit with Shanny.
Agree 💯%
As other have said, if Kyle could design a QB that could throw like Breese and run like Lamar Jackson, it would certainly look a lot like Brock Purdy. Not that Brock could run like Lamar, but that Brock's escapability and elusiveness certainly mirrors a little bit of Lamar. In addition, I have to say Brock's long ball throws are pretty good and accurate. He has the arm to operate a more vertical passing attack should Kyle ever go that route in the future.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

You guys are making TB cry in a Brock Purdy thread.

Even now Brady is a fairly attractive fellow. Some people have all the luck.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

You guys are making TB cry in a Brock Purdy thread.

Even now Brady is a fairly attractive fellow. Some people have all the luck.

Oh s**t fat Brady
Share 49ersWebzone