There are 256 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Amen brother,
called complementary football
QB is the point guard, and we ask him just don't turn it over, manage the game, and let the D and run game carry us, we don't do the drop the QB back every play thing here, unless borne out of necessity of a deficit and that's when things tend to spiral out of control

That's exactly why we haven't won the Super Bowl in a long long time.

Mediocre QB after mediocre QB after mediocre QB.

"Just don't turn the ball over and let the defense and run game carry the team"..........yeah, you do that when you are in QB-purgatory.

The reality is that you need a QB that can win games for you when the run game isn't working, when the defense is having a bad day or when you are losing in the 4th quarter. If you don't have a QB like that you always will need everything to be perfect around him to win the game. We haven't had a QB like that in 20 years and we are still waiting for another ring.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Nov 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Amen brother,
QB is the point guard, and we ask him just don't turn it over, manage the game, and let the D and run game carry us, we don't do the drop the QB back every play thing here, unless borne out of necessity of a deficit and that's when things tend to spiral out of control

"Just don't turn the ball over and let the defense and run game carry the team"..........yeah, you do that when you are in QB-purgatory.

The reality is that you need a QB that can win games for you when the run game isn't working, when the defense is having a bad day or when you are losing in the 4th quarter. If you don't have a QB like that you always will need everything to be perfect around him to win the game. We haven't had a QB like that in 20 years and we are still waiting for another ring.

Oh BS. Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Amen brother,

I just watched Legends on Comcast NBC bay area Sports. Jerry Rice was the greatest of all time, Montana pound for pound was the best QB and Ronnie Lott was the best all time at safety. I keep trying to compare this teams to those.

Brock has the attitude and smarts to be great, can he be, we don't know.

The one thing those teams had was an amazing all around team. Our O line is not there, our secondary is not there and the coaching is not there. We have a lot of these type players but there is huge weakness in the overall team. Shanahan's playing Madden and the D coordinator is falling a sleep.

I hope Brock, CMC are the next guys to step up. Jerry had this great attitude and work ethic that he sold to the whole team and they followed to 3 Superbowls.

Enough of my rant but we are so freakin close and Shanalynch did not take care of our weakness. Brock is not the problem.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Nov 10, 2023 at 7:03 PM ]
I agree with Alex Smith ❤️
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Amen brother,

All HOF'ers!!!
Amen brother,

Ah, yes. The unicorn argument. In the last 25 years there have probably been two QB's who MIGHT fall into that category, Brady and Mahomes. Some might throw Rodgers into that conversation, or Peyton Manning, but at the end of the day, how many Super Bowls did those guys win? Three between them in the last 25 years and Manning's second one came in just about his final year in the league when his arm was gone, and so he had to rely on his running game and defense to help him get the job done, which is true of about 98% of the QBs in this league. There is a reason they're called generational talents. They don't come along that often. Pinning your hopes every year on the home down team finding one is, as I have said in the past, the sport's fans version of wishing for a pony for Christmas.
Amen brother,

Flacco was a bit more than a game manager. That dude was hitting deep bomb after deep bomb during their SB year. I know us fans hate to remember that season, but that's the truth. Foles during his what, 7 game stretch? after Wentz went down was playing at an elite level. He's not elite overall, but for that stretch of games he was. And Eli (trash imo) had a second gear during their SB years. He played above a game manager level. Brad and Trent were true game managers.

I'm not sure if people are arguing that Purdy is a game manager. That's fine if he is, but he needs to have a second gear to win a SB. He still has time to get it. He's now played around a full season of games? The people that say if he were a first round draft pick he'd be given a couple more years and already lived up to the first round status are correct. But he wasn't so he's scrutinized more because of it? Makes no sense to me
Originally posted by lamontb:
0-37 when down 8...dam that's unbelievably bad

Can't win a championship when you can't win from behind
Originally posted by eric_anthony:

Gotta stay on formula or it's a full team collapse.
Originally posted by NCommand:

What's weird is, we've comeback from worse before, it's just it hasn't been specifically in the fourth quarter.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:

What's weird is, we've comeback from worse before, it's just it hasn't been specifically in the fourth quarter.

This team since Kyle and John rebuilt them hasn't had a lot of gameswherethey have been down more than 10 oints very often. Maybe really early in the game but for the most part thr defense has kept the other tema from scoring so the 49ers didn't need to come from way down.

That's fine. That's a winning formula but there are times when the defense is going to get burned. It only takes a couple of deep completions over adefender that's out of position or falls down. We never saw JG come from way down and we haven't seen it from Brock. Like I said this team hasn't had many games where a big comeback was necessary but when they have they've failed. Late drives into FG range are one thing. Needing a TD or two or a TD and a FG is a different story.
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
Originally posted by DrippinnRednGold805:
12 TDs to 5 INT'S not to bad but Brock Purdy just needs to be playing mistake free and we'll be okay. Kyle Shanahan needs to rotate RB's giving CMC breathers the RB rotation is what got us to the Superbowl in 2019.
He is doing better than Mahomes so far. According to the stats.

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Who is trashing him? It is literally true we lost that game because of those interceptions. That's not trashing. It's a fact. He needs to play better. When he plays well, he is praised and justifiably so. When he plays losing football, it is pointed out, and justifiably so.

Originally posted by bud49:
We all know it's all about the stats nowadays not W's and L's.
Not what I meant. I was just pointing out he has less Int's than PH 5-8. PH is the gold standard of the NFL. Brock will be fine the team needs to be better as a whole and from what I have watched it is all fixable . JMHO

True, but all 5 of his interceptions came in three games. That's a disturbing downward trend. He needs to right the ship or we're toast. That or if he continues down that regression and somehow Sam Darnold becomes the Chosen One, which is, of course, unlikely to say the least. We need better QB play than Jimmy ever gave us. That starts against the Jaguars and continues for the rest of the year. Unless the beginning of his career was a mirage, I see no reason why he can't do it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Montana:
Good luck with that lol

Obviously, the losses aren't all on him
but some are going to continue to cry out that BP is not "elite" or whatever the hell.

He isn't elite and hasn't been since he's started. That's just craziness from homer fans. He's played really well and shows a lot of skill that can translate into success with this team, and can be built on.

People who think he needs to be elite now or needs to be replaced have not seen the qb picture clearly here, straight up.

The concern is that the league has passed "decent" QBs behind, and that only elite or near elite QBs can win the Super Bowl. The last guy who wouldn't be considered at least on the cusp of elite who won it was Foles (and yes, for 2021, Stafford was considered elite by most; some articles were talking about what else he has to do to be considered a Hall of Fame QB. 41 TDs with a 6.8 TD% and 4886 yards will do that). Prior to that it was a washed up Peyton Manning. If you look at the last ten, that's a measly 20% of Super Bowl winning QBs who weren't considered elite by at least half of fans and analysts.

But, the counter-argument is that we have an unusually talented team, much like the Eagles when Foles was quarterbacking them those playoffs. Of course, Foles played elite in the playoffs, strangely enough. But if everyone is healthy when it matters, and Brock plays at least tier two, maybe we have a shot. But if Brock plays at an elite level, our odds go from "So you're telling me there's a chance" to maybe all the way up to a coin flip.

So that's why we want Brock to be elite, and if he's not, never give up looking for that guy.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if we get a repeat 4th game in a row with down the middle INTs.. that is not just bad luck.. it's a problem

It seems Kyle's scheme is focused on opening up the middle. This is 7 years now. It's where he has them focus the ball.

I think Purdy is legit very very good, but we obviously need more data.

A thought that crossed my mind was: Jimmy G looked electric first five games..... Then obviously got hurt but imo as he played more and more, kinda dropped off from those first flashes and early success?

I am hoping this is not the case with Purdy, but it makes me wonder if his offense is bogging these guys down in some way? Just spitballing nothing concrete etc.

Or, more likely, the offense elevates QBs and then defenses learn the tendencies of the QBs and exploit them. If the offense slows guys down, why'd Jimmy get benched in Vegas? Wouldn't the "real," better Jimmy has shown?
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Question. Josh Allen seems to get excused for having bad stretches. As does Mahomes but Mahomes has proven himself as a multiple SB winner and MVP future HoF. But what exactly has Josh proved? He loses in the playoffs and makes a ton of mistakes. Don't get me wrong I think he's really good, but for sake of argument he gets so much leeway vs Brock and it is all due to draft position bias and our love affair with big strong armed QBs. If it was Trey that had done all that Brock had done thus far, I think the convo would be different, simply because he was highly drafted. Look at Lawrence, he has achieved just about as much as Brock has in the league thus far.

Its an uphill battle for the underdog.

Well for starters, this:

And also this:

Consecutive years of 4544, 4407, and 4283 yards, with 37,36, and 35 TDs, against 10, 15, and 14 interceptions, combined with 421, 763, and 762 rushing yards, with 8, 6 and 7 rushing touchdowns, two Pro Bowl selections, a 2nd team All Pro, and finishing 2nd and 3rd in the AP MVP voting.
Share 49ersWebzone