LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 223 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you're Brock Purdy, that's a bad decision. If you're Pat Mahomes, it's masterful MVP type play. With Kyle's reaction after the game, we know now why he didn't think much of Mahomes during the draft lol

I mean it's a QB no no regardless of who's the QB. We got the TD so that's all that matters

He threw it over and deeper than every defender. I think it looked worse because there were so many defenders there. It was a tight window, but when do NFL quarterbacks ever make throws defenders can almost touch?

Bottom line, he threw it deep enough to be out of reach of every Jag, Brock is aggressive, he takes what he thinks he can make in the red zone as they're always tight down there, and he's pretty good at it. No problem.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

so basically, dont give him clean pockets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

so basically, dont give him clean pockets

Don't worry the Oline doing their best not to give him one
Originally posted by BOI49er:
If you're Brock Purdy, that's a bad decision. If you're Pat Mahomes, it's masterful MVP type play. With Kyle's reaction after the game, we know now why he didn't think much of Mahomes during the draft lol

I mean it's a QB no no regardless of who's the QB. We got the TD so that's all that matters

He threw it over and deeper than every defender. I think it looked worse because there were so many defenders there. It was a tight window, but when do NFL quarterbacks ever make throws defenders can almost touch?

Bottom line, he threw it deep enough to be out of reach of every Jag, Brock is aggressive, he takes what he thinks he can make in the red zone as they're always tight down there, and he's pretty good at it. No problem.

The result of the play was good but the decision to thrown back across in the redzone is not wise. Like you said it was crowded and its a risky play. A qb has to take shots sometimes though.
2329 pass yards
15 tds
5 ints
With 8 games to go

As long as our line holds up (which has been a big ask at times this year), he does an excellent job. Great to see him bounce back after have some underwhelming games for the first time in his pro career (although the entire team looked like crap at times).

im really liking wilks on the sideline and our new pass rushers
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
2329 pass yards
15 tds
5 ints
With 8 games to go

I'll take a
4000 yards 30 passing TDs and 10 int, all day. Lol

couple that with his handful of rushing touchdowns… not a bad start to his career!
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
2329 pass yards
15 tds
5 ints
With 8 games to go

I'll take a
4000 yards 30 passing TDs and 10 int, all day. Lol

couple that with his handful of rushing touchdowns… not a bad start to his career!

good to see you again tank
Originally posted by BOI49er:

I think a better DB would have been able to at least break it up. If you look at the video from the back of the end zone, one of the DBs is in good position to make a play on the ball, but then moves up to defend Kittle instead of trying to meet the ball in the air. I don't think the DB knew Aiyuk was there, or perhaps thought that Kittle had the best shot at the ball. If I'm going to nitpick the throw, I think it could have been higher and more out of reach. The decision was suspect, but I don't mind it as long as Purdy puts enough on it to keep it out of harm's way. In the end it all worked out and Purdy had an otherwise stellar outing.

Originally posted by Chance:
I think a better DB would have been able to at least break it up. If you look at the video from the back of the end zone, one of the DBs is in good position to make a play on the ball, but then moves up to defend Kittle instead of trying to meet the ball in the air. I don't think the DB knew Aiyuk was there, or perhaps thought that Kittle had the best shot at the ball. If I'm going to nitpick the throw, I think it could have been higher and more out of reach. The decision was suspect, but I don't mind it as long as Purdy puts enough on it to keep it out of harm's way. In the end it all worked out and Purdy had an otherwise stellar outing.

Agree on the throw. Could have been higher and with more velocity would have made it tougher for the defenders to crowd it.

Really it shouldn't have been thrown. 4th and 10 in a must have it situation at the end of the game, ok. 1st and 10 early… absolutely not.

Still a great game.
If Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow make that Aiyuk TD throw they are praised for their greatness, while Brock is critiqued for making a bad decision. Now the other three have certainly proven their greatness over a longer period of time, but Brock regularly shows us wow plays. See the kittle TD for another example.
Makes me wonder if Mahomes made the throw, would we have this much 'negative' criticism and analysis of the TD lol

Or would people say, 'Mahomes--unbelievable talent', and leave it at that
Originally posted by SD49er:
If Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow make that Aiyuk TD throw they are praised for their greatness, while Brock is critiqued for making a bad decision. Now the other three have certainly proven their greatness over a longer period of time, but Brock regularly shows us wow plays. See the kittle TD for another example.

This
Makes me wonder if Mahomes made the throw, would we have this much 'negative' criticism and analysis of the TD lol

Or would people say, 'Mahomes--unbelievable talent', and leave it at that

I would analyze the play similarly. Critiquing a single decision doesn't mean you are unfair to that player. I'm sure there are plenty of risky throws that Mahomes has made where a better defender could have made a play on the ball. It's part of being a risk taker. I'm glad this one worked out, but it was not an ideal decision (and this is coming from someone who is comfortably seated on the Purdy bandwagon).
Share 49ersWebzone