LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 255 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SD49er:
If Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow make that Aiyuk TD throw they are praised for their greatness, while Brock is critiqued for making a bad decision. Now the other three have certainly proven their greatness over a longer period of time, but Brock regularly shows us wow plays. See the kittle TD for another example.

With Mahomes and Allen specifically, I think they get away with plays like that more because they have special arm talent. It's still traditionally a terrible decision to throw across your body into the middle of the field, but elite arm strength can negate a lot of the risk.

I think when we get a film view of that play it will he pretty clear that a rocket keeps the defenders out of that play. When he threw it Aiyuk was very open.
If Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow make that Aiyuk TD throw they are praised for their greatness, while Brock is critiqued for making a bad decision. Now the other three have certainly proven their greatness over a longer period of time, but Brock regularly shows us wow plays. See the kittle TD for another example.

Has Allen proved greatness?
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Allen is good be he got even pushed into the stratosphere because of the playoff game in KC
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Allen is good be he got even pushed into the stratosphere because of the playoff game in KC

It wasn't just that game. It was the MVP level season(s) and the fact that his offense lives and dies on his play. He's a beast.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 12, 2023 at 7:58 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

Maybe not, but you get the point. Perception of those three is that they complete danergous throws because of their "greatness" while Brock's is luck or something to that effect. I agree that all three have greater arm talent, but Brock has elite accuracy, far better than Allen's.
This is the Brock I want to see for most of the rest of the season. Perhaps his team was tired around him but now it's time to start another streak!
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you're Brock Purdy, that's a bad decision. If you're Pat Mahomes, it's masterful MVP type play. With Kyle's reaction after the game, we know now why he didn't think much of Mahomes during the draft lol

I mean it's a QB no no regardless of who's the QB. We got the TD so that's all that matters

He threw it over and deeper than every defender. I think it looked worse because there were so many defenders there. It was a tight window, but when do NFL quarterbacks ever make throws defenders can almost touch?

Bottom line, he threw it deep enough to be out of reach of every Jag, Brock is aggressive, he takes what he thinks he can make in the red zone as they're always tight down there, and he's pretty good at it. No problem.

I think a better DB would have been able to at least break it up. If you look at the video from the back of the end zone, one of the DBs is in good position to make a play on the ball, but then moves up to defend Kittle instead of trying to meet the ball in the air. I don't think the DB knew Aiyuk was there, or perhaps thought that Kittle had the best shot at the ball. If I'm going to nitpick the throw, I think it could have been higher and more out of reach. The decision was suspect, but I don't mind it as long as Purdy puts enough on it to keep it out of harm's way. In the end it all worked out and Purdy had an otherwise stellar outing.

O'Connell just scored up high over a defender's hand by an inch. I don't see the difference, except it was one and not several defenders in front, but over and beyond the reach of all of them.

Brock Purdy made the team because he didn't play it safe, and aggressively made plays. Kyle Shanahan said he much prefers that to the alternative. People claimed in the off season that he can't set the league on fire with his touchdown pass percentage again this year, and that "stat" will revert to mean. He's pretty good at it. Yeah, he can. But you can't do it without throwing into tight windows. And you don't win playing it safe. You overcome mistakes by staying aggressive and scoring. If he thinks he can make the play, he's going to take it It's what we've got.
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you're Brock Purdy, that's a bad decision. If you're Pat Mahomes, it's masterful MVP type play. With Kyle's reaction after the game, we know now why he didn't think much of Mahomes during the draft lol

I mean it's a QB no no regardless of who's the QB. We got the TD so that's all that matters

He threw it over and deeper than every defender. I think it looked worse because there were so many defenders there. It was a tight window, but when do NFL quarterbacks ever make throws defenders can almost touch?

Bottom line, he threw it deep enough to be out of reach of every Jag, Brock is aggressive, he takes what he thinks he can make in the red zone as they're always tight down there, and he's pretty good at it. No problem.

I think a better DB would have been able to at least break it up. If you look at the video from the back of the end zone, one of the DBs is in good position to make a play on the ball, but then moves up to defend Kittle instead of trying to meet the ball in the air. I don't think the DB knew Aiyuk was there, or perhaps thought that Kittle had the best shot at the ball. If I'm going to nitpick the throw, I think it could have been higher and more out of reach. The decision was suspect, but I don't mind it as long as Purdy puts enough on it to keep it out of harm's way. In the end it all worked out and Purdy had an otherwise stellar outing.

O'Connell just scored up high over a defender's hand by an inch. I don't see the difference, except it was one and not several defenders in front, but over and beyond the reach of all of them.

Brock Purdy made the team because he didn't play it safe, and aggressively made plays. Kyle Shanahan said he much prefers that to the alternative. People claimed in the off season that he can't set the league on fire with his touchdown pass percentage again this year, and that "stat" will revert to mean. He's pretty good at it. Yeah, he can. But you can't do it without throwing into tight windows. And you don't win playing it safe. You overcome mistakes by staying aggressive and scoring. If he thinks he can make the play, he's going to take it It's what we've got.

Yeah, I understand the mindset and support aggressive play. And again I am one of Purdy's biggest supporters on this board.

My opinion is that it wasn't a great decision because a better, or more aware DB, could have easily made a play on the ball (just watch the back of the endzone video that was posted earlier and go frame by frame. The DB was in perfect position to play the ball, but then decided to move forward to defend Kittle, a fortuitous decision for our team). But I'm just critiquing one decision Purdy made, which should be fair play since I have fully supported Purdy, and still do as much as ever, and believe that he is a franchise QB. Let's stop setting the expectations of perfection, because that's how slumps become unmanageable in peoples' minds.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
2329 pass yards
15 tds
5 ints
With 8 games to go

I'll take a
4000 yards 30 passing TDs and 10 int, all day. Lol

couple that with his handful of rushing touchdowns… not a bad start to his career!

good to see you again tank

I've been slammed, good to be back. Since the team was sucking, and I was super busy, I didn't want to come on here and b***h. Hahah

I wish we had a better o line. If we lose in the playoffs, i think it'll be because of the o line.

sucks that we are now tied with the Seahawks - that thanksgiving game and the following Philly game are so damn important now. Going to be a super tough sled of games. Especially since it's followed with another Seahawks game.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
2329 pass yards
15 tds
5 ints
With 8 games to go

I'll take a
4000 yards 30 passing TDs and 10 int, all day. Lol

couple that with his handful of rushing touchdowns… not a bad start to his career!

good to see you again tank

I've been slammed, good to be back. Since the team was sucking, and I was super busy, I didn't want to come on here and b***h. Hahah

I wish we had a better o line. If we lose in the playoffs, i think it'll be because of the o line.

sucks that we are now tied with the Seahawks - that thanksgiving game and the following Philly game are so damn important now. Going to be a super tough sled of games. Especially since it's followed with another Seahawks game.

Welcome back, bro. We all had to pitch in to hold down the fort while you were gone. Good to have reinforcements lol.

Kyle was pretty critical of Brock on the TD pass to Aiyuk. He's right though. It's awesome it worked out but that won't always work. Lol

so we officially have a full season of games by Brock. Not bad stats 😏

3-1 touchdown to int ratio. Over 100 rating. 67.8% completion. Pretty cool. Hope to see him keep proving
[ Edited by tankle104 on Nov 12, 2023 at 8:32 PM ]
Kyle was pretty critical of Brock on the TD pass to Aiyuk. He's right though. It's awesome it worked out but that won't always work. Lol

3-1 touchdown to int ratio. Over 100 rating. 67.8% completion. Pretty cool. Hope to see him keep proving

Great, maybe people will stop claiming he's technically a rookie.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Great, maybe people will stop claiming he's technically a rookie.

No longer a rookie but still a young inexperienced pro, IMO. I'm hoping to see him get sharper and sharper as he plays more in the pros.

need our o line to play better. That's really my only worry about this team making it all the way. We just had a pretty rough three game stretch but hopefully that's over and we get back on our grind. I'm glad wilks had a good day on the sideline.
this is what happens when we play complementary football, with a lead, zero turnovers
this is what happens when we play complementary football, with a lead, zero turnovers

This team is WAY too talented to play like it did the previous three games, specifically on defense. That was a complete joke. Brock was unusually bad against Cleveland (specifically accuracy - he was off on a ton of throws he routinely hits) but he still got us in position to win it at the end.

more so than anything, I was most disappointed in the defense. I think in those 3 previous games, our defense stopped the opposing offense from scoring in like 4 drives. You're not winning jacks**t that way.
Share 49ersWebzone