LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 269 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Purdy plays excellent for 13 games with a historic passer rating. Media says "nope not enough." Purdy has two bad quarters after that "okay he's been exposed he's done! Time for SF to find a new QB!"

CJ Stroud plays really well for 9 games (though not as good as Purdy's 13-game run). Media says "THAT'S IT! WE'VE SEEN ENOUGH! NEXT GOAT QB!!!"

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Stroud, Ryans and Texans fans. But the clear double standard is pretty infuriating. Where's all the "there's still time for teams to get THE TAPE and EXPOSE him!!!" talk that we heard for Purdy?

How many of the Texans offensive skill players would start on this team? The circumstances are very different.

Their defense is much improved though. Which is one big reason the team is much better now.
Originally posted by Montana:
Posting again..cause I just can't get enough 🎶

Can't count how many times the previous QBs missed this exact throw. Under duress, can't step into it and BCB still drops it right in the f**king bucket. I don't even think that was pump fake. Brock legit altered his decision mid-stride. Crazy processing and crazier throw.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 13, 2023 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Purdy plays excellent for 13 games with a historic passer rating. Media says "nope not enough." Purdy has two bad quarters after that "okay he's been exposed he's done! Time for SF to find a new QB!"

CJ Stroud plays really well for 9 games (though not as good as Purdy's 13-game run). Media says "THAT'S IT! WE'VE SEEN ENOUGH! NEXT GOAT QB!!!"

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Stroud, Ryans and Texans fans. But the clear double standard is pretty infuriating. Where's all the "there's still time for teams to get THE TAPE and EXPOSE him!!!" talk that we heard for Purdy?

How many of the Texans offensive skill players would start on this team? The circumstances are very different.

Their defense is much improved though. Which is one big reason the team is much better now.

What does their defense have to do with their skills players on offense?
here's the stat watch
if his current pace continues:

4399 yds
28 TD
9 INT

I think the biggest thing, is a healthy year for QB1
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Montana:
Posting again..cause I just can't get enough 🎶

Can't count how many times the previous QBs missed this exact throw. Under duress, can't step into it and BCB still drops it right in the f**king bucket.

This play reminds me of the TD throw he made to Aiyuk versus the Bucs last season. On that play, there was a free rusher coming while Aiyuk was running a hitch/go. In the face of pressure, Brock had to pump fake to sell the hitch, then throw the Go. On this play, in the face of pressure, Brock had to pump fake first (to bait the middle safety to Aiyuk) before throwing to Kittle. No fear.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

What does their defense have to do with their skills players on offense?

Whole team = whole team. You win and lose as a complete team.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you can't say anything about Purdy unless it's over the top praise for Purdy -Furlow

I am going to stick up for Furlow this time. Him and I had many disagreements over the years about Alex and Jimmy, but I am pretty much on the same page as he is here.

Criticism for me, is warranted for ANY player that isnt playing as well as desired. The problem is, you cannot have the same standards for every player because of a plethora of reasons. For Alex and Jimmy, I felt that they were given the benefit of the doubt WAY too much considering how seasoned of players they were. Purdy is not the case. Purdy is not only playing much better than either of those two ever did, but he is also not being afforded the benefit of the doubt that was provided for other QBs with more seasoning.

Purdy is 23 years old. He just finished the equivalent of his first full season as a starter. And he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport. Yet, people are upset that he threw a couple of interceptions and are failing to look at the big picture. He is a young developing QB who has plenty of room to grow, yet is playing the position at a higher level than anyone has for us in roughly 2 decades.

So back to the original point, its not that I dont think that you can say something about Purdy other than over the top praise. But there really shouldnt be much to talk about other than praise at this point. If you want to talk about a couple of things he can improve on, sure, have at it. But almost all the criticism he is getting is not warranted.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am going to stick up for Furlow this time. Him and I had many disagreements over the years about Alex and Jimmy, but I am pretty much on the same page as he is here.

Criticism for me, is warranted for ANY player that isnt playing as well as desired. The problem is, you cannot have the same standards for every player because of a plethora of reasons. For Alex and Jimmy, I felt that they were given the benefit of the doubt WAY too much considering how seasoned of players they were. Purdy is not the case. Purdy is not only playing much better than either of those two ever did, but he is also not being afforded the benefit of the doubt that was provided for other QBs with more seasoning.

Purdy is 23 years old. He just finished the equivalent of his first full season as a starter. And he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport. Yet, people are upset that he threw a couple of interceptions and are failing to look at the big picture. He is a young developing QB who has plenty of room to grow, yet is playing the position at a higher level than anyone has for us in roughly 2 decades.

So back to the original point, its not that I dont think that you can say something about Purdy other than over the top praise. But there really shouldnt be much to talk about other than praise at this point. If you want to talk about a couple of things he can improve on, sure, have at it. But almost all the criticism he is getting is not warranted.

this is comical hyperbole,

he is playing 'better than almost every QB to ever play the sport'
plz revise, no he isn't
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

plz revise, no he isn't

Before the 3 game skid, Purdy was #3 ALL TIME in Total QBR. So yeah, he was playing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport. Tom Brady was better in 07 and Manning was in 06. But they were both seasoned vets by that point in their careers.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Nov 13, 2023 at 11:38 AM ]

plz revise, no he isn't

Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

Stroud was picked #2 overall... Brock was taken #262. If Brock was a 1st round pick the narrative on him would be he is the next great NFL QB.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Before the 3 game skid, Purdy was #3 ALL TIME in Total QBR. So yeah, he was playing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport.

Before the 3 game skid, Purdy was #3 ALL TIME in Total QBR. So yeah, he was playing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport.

That's it? All you got? Before that skid his Total QBR on the season was 83.9. Only QBs that were better were Brady in 07 with 87 and Manning in 06 with 86.4. So…..

That's it? All you got? Before that skid his Total QBR on the season was 83.9. Only QBs that were better were Brady in 07 with 87 and Manning in 06 with 86.4. So…..

He calls out posters for responding with emojis and LOLs all the time, yet has no problem doing it himself. He is getting close to being on the ignore list. SMH.

I stand by my statement, and its accurate. He has played better to start his career than almost 100% of QBs to ever play in the NFL.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 13, 2023 at 11:45 AM ]

plz revise, no he isn't

Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

Those are two different arguments are they not? Is it "he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport" or limited to just the first 14 starts of any QB in history?
Share 49ersWebzone