Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
here's the stat watch
if his current pace continues:

4399 yds
28 TD
9 INT

I think the biggest thing, is a healthy year for QB1

It's really not that impressive when you compare it to Jimmy G's and Trey Lance's stat lines this season😎
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I am going to stick up for Furlow this time. Him and I had many disagreements over the years about Alex and Jimmy, but I am pretty much on the same page as he is here.

Criticism for me, is warranted for ANY player that isnt playing as well as desired. The problem is, you cannot have the same standards for every player because of a plethora of reasons. For Alex and Jimmy, I felt that they were given the benefit of the doubt WAY too much considering how seasoned of players they were. Purdy is not the case. Purdy is not only playing much better than either of those two ever did, but he is also not being afforded the benefit of the doubt that was provided for other QBs with more seasoning.

Purdy is 23 years old. He just finished the equivalent of his first full season as a starter. And he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport. Yet, people are upset that he threw a couple of interceptions and are failing to look at the big picture. He is a young developing QB who has plenty of room to grow, yet is playing the position at a higher level than anyone has for us in roughly 2 decades.

So back to the original point, its not that I dont think that you can say something about Purdy other than over the top praise. But there really shouldnt be much to talk about other than praise at this point. If you want to talk about a couple of things he can improve on, sure, have at it. But almost all the criticism he is getting is not warranted.

this is comical hyperbole,

he is playing 'better than almost every QB to ever play the sport'
plz revise, no he isn't

Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

Agreed. Weird that people are hesitant to call it like it is.
Brock should spend more time farming. It helps him refocus.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I am going to stick up for Furlow this time. Him and I had many disagreements over the years about Alex and Jimmy, but I am pretty much on the same page as he is here.

Criticism for me, is warranted for ANY player that isnt playing as well as desired. The problem is, you cannot have the same standards for every player because of a plethora of reasons. For Alex and Jimmy, I felt that they were given the benefit of the doubt WAY too much considering how seasoned of players they were. Purdy is not the case. Purdy is not only playing much better than either of those two ever did, but he is also not being afforded the benefit of the doubt that was provided for other QBs with more seasoning.

Purdy is 23 years old. He just finished the equivalent of his first full season as a starter. And he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport. Yet, people are upset that he threw a couple of interceptions and are failing to look at the big picture. He is a young developing QB who has plenty of room to grow, yet is playing the position at a higher level than anyone has for us in roughly 2 decades.

So back to the original point, its not that I dont think that you can say something about Purdy other than over the top praise. But there really shouldnt be much to talk about other than praise at this point. If you want to talk about a couple of things he can improve on, sure, have at it. But almost all the criticism he is getting is not warranted.

plz revise, no he isn't

Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

Those are two different arguments are they not? Is it "he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport" or limited to just the first 14 starts of any QB in history?

I was clearly talkin about the beginning of Purdy's career compared to everyone else during the same start to theirs.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"The OL is fine guise!"

Some of that was from holding the ball a long time. NGS had his time to throw at 3.07 seconds yesterday, 4th highest in the league. That's almost half a second higher than his season average.

When he gets the ball out quick, you guys say he's just checking down and the WR's are getting YAC, so he's a system QB. When he takes a bit more time, airs it out, and has a ridiculously high yards per catch and air yards per attempt, you guys say he's holding the ball too long. Stop this madness.

I didn't say he was holding it too long, but his pressure rate is going to go up the longer he holds the ball.

...and his air time is increasing as he buys time for receivers to get open deeper.

His crazy 43.6% of his passes going for 1st downs leads the league. He is 11th in total passing yards on 250 attempts (#23 in attempts). No one else is close

His 9.3 yds/att. is almost a full yard more than the next two, and no one else is over 8.

What all that tells us is that him holding the ball longer while increasing the pressure rate must be the formula for success.

plz revise, no he isn't

Those are two different arguments are they not? Is it "he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport" or limited to just the first 14 starts of any QB in history?

I was clearly talkin about the beginning of Purdy's career compared to everyone else during the same start to theirs.

Nowhere in your original post is that indicated which is probably why 49erFaithful called it out.

plz revise, no he isn't

Nowhere in your original post is that indicated which is probably why 49erFaithful called it out.

49erfaithful has reading comprehension issues. But in spite of that, I think its fairly obvious as to what I was talking about.
49erfaithful has reading comprehension issues. But in spite of that, I think its fairly obvious as to what I was talking about.

It was.

the prob you want to make a stats argument

yet realize the stats don't come from a vacuum, they come from playing with an elite playcaller, elite weapons, a modern day M Faulk, a best in club history TE, a best in NFL LT, etc. One can imagine the exact same BP dropped into NYG and the stats wouldn't be 'best of all time'. Yet he would be the same dude. Playing at the same level. Guys around him wouldn't be tho. Hell, JG was top ten all time stats wise rated, I wouldn't draw all time conclusions tho from that, cuz I watch him play.

Take the Minny game, Kirk outplayed BP. Just flat had a much better game. Period. With a lot less to work with.

BP was asked to lead us back in 3 games, and we lost all 3. He didn't really play great in any of them. He had his what are you doing here play vs Jax. He left a TD on the board cuz he didn't pick up the pre snap blitz.

He's doing great. We don't need to get silly and say he's better than all the QBs of all time,

here's your quote: he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Nov 13, 2023 at 12:25 PM ]

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Montana:
Posting again..cause I just can't get enough 🎶

Can't count how many times the previous QBs missed this exact throw. Under duress, can't step into it and BCB still drops it right in the f**king bucket.

This play reminds me of the TD throw he made to Aiyuk versus the Bucs last season. On that play, there was a free rusher coming while Aiyuk was running a hitch/go. In the face of pressure, Brock had to pump fake to sell the hitch, then throw the Go. On this play, in the face of pressure, Brock had to pump fake first (to bait the middle safety to Aiyuk) before throwing to Kittle. No fear.

That play crossed my mind too. It's mind boggling. This guy is sharp af and has the mental balance and body mechanics to go along with it. What he can do under pressure..I mean..I just look at the way his hand is when he releases that ball to Kittle..damn. My brain turns to scrambled eggs sometimes when I see him play lol..in a good way haha
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

These stats are getting incredibly specific.
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

I see what you are doing. Purdy has been playing elite football since he's been called upon last year. It's better than good, but that's the only argument a veiled hater can muster at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone