LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 253 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Montana:
That play crossed my mind too. It's mind boggling. This guy is sharp af and has the mental balance and body mechanics to go along with it. What he can do under pressure..I mean..I just look at the way his hand is when he releases that ball to Kittle..damn. My brain turns to scrambled eggs sometimes when I see him play lol..in a good way haha

I have no idea how he got enough juice on the throw to drive it down the field. I thought the ball was going to flutter out of his arm, but it shot out of his hand.
Shanahan is honest, and I like that. He said what many fans were thinking, including myself, before stating the obvious in the press conference. Also, it wasn't even a harsh criticism. Purdy got lucky chucking one up for grabs in the red zone across his body, late, into the middle of the field. That's not the type of decision you want to make in the playoffs. I love Purdy and Shanahan both. Nothing to get wrapped around the axel about. A young QB error with a fortunate outcome. I think Brock will do better the more he stays within the system and, as he admitted in the press conference, he probably should have taken the 5-7 of green real estate in front of him on that one and slid. I expect he will get even better with time and honest coaching by Shanahan. And Purdy doesn't seem to have Millennial thin skin.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

the prob you want to make a stats argument

yet realize the stats don't come from a vacuum, they come from playing with an elite playcaller, elite weapons, a modern day M Faulk, a best in club history TE, a best in NFL LT, etc. One can imagine the exact same BP dropped into NYG and the stats wouldn't be 'best of all time'. Yet he would be the same dude. Playing at the same level. Guys around him wouldn't be tho. Hell, JG was top ten stats wise rated, I wouldn't draw all time conclusions tho from that, cuz I watch him play.

Take the Minny game, Kirk outplayed BP. Just flat had a much better game. Period. With a lot less to work with.

BP was asked to lead us back in 3 games, and we lost all 3. He didn't really play great in any of them. He had his what are you doing here play vs Jax. He left a TD on the board cuz he didn't pick up the pre snap blitz.

He's doing great. We don't need to get silly and say he's better than all the QBs of all time,

here's your quote: he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport

So then we can't use any stats for any QB ever, because you can't control for all of those other variables for different QB's? Come on, dude. We're not assessing who we would draft 1st overall in an all-time draft of all QB's. Sure, if that's the argument - then you need a lot of nuance and can't just go by stats. But to discredit what Purdy is doing because he has a good playcaller, good weapons, etc? That's weak in my opinion. This was the same argument that was/is used against Jimmy G, which I've seen you debate against hundreds of times. Weird now to be using it as a point against Purdy.

Without a doubt Purdy is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport to start his career. And you could make an argument for all-time, as his current QB rating and QBR would put him in the top 30 seasons in both all-time; with a lot of football left to play to bring those numbers up. As SLC said, he was top 3 in QBR all-time before the 3 game skid. We'll see how the season plays out and where he ranks, but regardless, I don't understand why people are hesitant to call it like it is. Purdy is playing QB at an elite level.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

These stats are getting incredibly specific.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Specific enough for you?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Its funny that you were the one to respond to this message, because I omitted the following that would have been directed at posters like you specifically:

I also really dislike when posters try to criticize Brock over things they excused previous QBs for over and over again.

Back to you calling my post that you called "comical hyperbole".....ok I will bite. You call it comical. Well it should be easy to refute then right? Go for it. Show me the list of QBs who have played better in their first 14 career starts than Purdy has. Who has been better than 26 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a 112.9 passer rating. Patrick Mahomes. Then who? I'll be waiting.

the prob you want to make a stats argument

yet realize the stats don't come from a vacuum, they come from playing with an elite playcaller, elite weapons, a modern day M Faulk, a best in club history TE, a best in NFL LT, etc. One can imagine the exact same BP dropped into NYG and the stats wouldn't be 'best of all time'. Yet he would be the same dude. Playing at the same level. Guys around him wouldn't be tho. Hell, JG was top ten all time stats wise rated, I wouldn't draw all time conclusions tho from that, cuz I watch him play.

Take the Minny game, Kirk outplayed BP. Just flat had a much better game. Period. With a lot less to work with.

BP was asked to lead us back in 3 games, and we lost all 3. He didn't really play great in any of them. He had his what are you doing here play vs Jax. He left a TD on the board cuz he didn't pick up the pre snap blitz.

He's doing great. We don't need to get silly and say he's better than all the QBs of all time,

here's your quote: he is performing better than almost every QB to ever play the sport

Yes, and it doesnt take a genius to understand that the quoted sentence was related to the one directly preceding it.
Originally posted by Heroism:
That play crossed my mind too. It's mind boggling. This guy is sharp af and has the mental balance and body mechanics to go along with it. What he can do under pressure..I mean..I just look at the way his hand is when he releases that ball to Kittle..damn. My brain turns to scrambled eggs sometimes when I see him play lol..in a good way haha

I have no idea how he got enough juice on the throw to drive it down the field. I thought the ball was going to flutter out of his arm, but it shot out of his hand.

Maybe he doesn't have the noodle arm that people have claimed. No other explanation for it.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

Could easily break this record this year.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I've watched it a few times. The ball was out of his hand by the time he got hit, so it only affected his follow through. It does look crazy though lol. Luckily he didn't get hurt either, which hopefully means the elbow is 100% and won't be causing any issues moving forward.
And sorry, the whole "you want to make a stats argument" is such a garbage way of looking at something. If you want to play the game you are attempting to, no one should ever compare a single player to another.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Maybe he doesn't have the noodle arm that people have claimed. No other explanation for it.

Maybe the surgery really did make his arm stronger?

Originally posted by YACBros85:

Maybe we just don't understand noodles very well. You see, noodles generate a lot of torque, kind of like a whip. Maybe we should be praising Purdy for his strong noodle arm?
Originally posted by Chance:
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

I see what you are doing. Purdy has been playing elite football since he's been called upon last year. It's better than good, but that's the only argument a veiled hater can muster at this point.

Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Shanahan is honest, and I like that. He said what many fans were thinking, including myself, before stating the obvious in the press conference. Also, it wasn't even a harsh criticism. Purdy got lucky chucking one up for grabs in the red zone across his body, late, into the middle of the field. That's not the type of decision you want to make in the playoffs. I love Purdy and Shanahan both. Nothing to get wrapped around the axel about. A young QB error with a fortunate outcome. I think Brock will do better the more he stays within the system and, as he admitted in the press conference, he probably should have taken the 5-7 of green real estate in front of him on that one and slid. I expect he will get even better with time and honest coaching by Shanahan. And Purdy doesn't seem to have Millennial thin skin.

He did not "chuck it up for grabs" lol wtf. Watch the play a few times, from the end zone view as well. Good lord.

Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.

You would have been nutting in your pants if a former QB of ours played as well as Brock played yesterday. And would not have even mentioned a loaded football team or anything of the sort. You arent fooling anyone.
Originally posted by Chance:
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

I see what you are doing. Purdy has been playing elite football since he's been called upon last year. It's better than good, but that's the only argument a veiled hater can muster at this point.

This just in, according to 49erFaithful6 73.1 pct, 296 yards, 3 tds, 0 Ints, and a148.9 RATE in just over 3 quarters is OKAY. The veil is lifted my dude.
Share 49ersWebzone