Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Chance:
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

I see what you are doing. Purdy has been playing elite football since he's been called upon last year. It's better than good, but that's the only argument a veiled hater can muster at this point.

Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.

Elite throws
:53 3rd and 8 dart to Jennings for a 1st down
1:03 3rd and short, long TD to Kittle
1:22 3rd and 9 lazer to Aiyuk on the deep out/comeback

Honorable mention
:43 1st and 10 over the middle to Aiyuk in between defenders
1:37 2nd and 9 over the middle to Kittle in between defenders
*both times using his eyes to move the LB to open a passing window

Rest of the video is very solid. All but a couple of these are chunk plays picking up 1st downs. "Ok/good" lol what on earth, bro.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
And sorry, the whole "you want to make a stats argument" is such a garbage way of looking at something. If you want to play the game you are attempting to, no one should ever compare a single player to another.

no it's pretty easy, you do the eye test or film
you can have a great game, and it's rough stats
or a bad game, and it's great stats

how is a guy operating play to play is the measure,

BP is doing great imo
I don't think I'm watching better QB play than I've ever seen in my life, I feel that way when I watched Brady, some Mahomes, Montana, and a few others. I think prime Rodgers did it as well as it can be done. BP ain't there yet, but it's a silly ask for him to be there yet in the first place. He's had ups and downs this season, but I am extremely impressed he came back so quick, and he's having a great year, no question.. let's take it game to game
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I think Jeff and Jimmy are the same tier, with Kap and Alex the next tier below

I'd put Alex on the Garcia/JG tier. Dude was screwed with the HC's and OC's he had, but when he was playing under competent coaching he was every bit as good as those 2. Kap was great before there was film on him, the fact he couldn't process led to his demise.

edit: Any Reid gave us 2 second round picks for Smith and he played great there. No team in history would have given that for Kap or JG for that matter.

The difference between Jeff and the others is that Jeff did it for three straight years here. Brock has played better than any of them, but it's been a short time. He needs to keep it up and then he'll take his place right behind Steve. And who knows what will happen after that?
Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.

You would have been nutting in your pants if a former QB of ours played as well as Brock played yesterday. And would not have even mentioned a loaded football team or anything of the sort. You arent fooling anyone.
looks like 4f6 has taken the heel approach now..
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Shanahan is honest, and I like that. He said what many fans were thinking, including myself, before stating the obvious in the press conference. Also, it wasn't even a harsh criticism. Purdy got lucky chucking one up for grabs in the red zone across his body, late, into the middle of the field. That's not the type of decision you want to make in the playoffs. I love Purdy and Shanahan both. Nothing to get wrapped around the axel about. A young QB error with a fortunate outcome. I think Brock will do better the more he stays within the system and, as he admitted in the press conference, he probably should have taken the 5-7 of green real estate in front of him on that one and slid. I expect he will get even better with time and honest coaching by Shanahan. And Purdy doesn't seem to have Millennial thin skin.

He did not "chuck it up for grabs" lol wtf. Watch the play a few times, from the end zone view as well. Good lord.

Look, man, I love Brock Purdy. That angle does nothing for me. The ball floated two inches above the defenders' hands and he was caught off guard and didn't even jump. That was a bad decision. The video shows open real estate right in front of him. Take it. That's what Montana used to do, and it would frustrate defenses to no end. Just take what they give. Brock is totally equipped to play that type of game. He has great accuracy, great anticipation, calm demeanor, good vision, good reads. He has almost the whole package but for being a little short, a little weak armed, but those are not insurmountable problems. What he doesn't need to do, and what could undo him, if he has a propensity to make Favre-like bonehead plays. Just keep it clean and take what they give. I think even he believes that's what he should do, he just sometimes can't help himself.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you're Brock Purdy, that's a bad decision. If you're Pat Mahomes, it's masterful MVP type play. With Kyle's reaction after the game, we know now why he didn't think much of Mahomes during the draft lol

Mahomes has earned the benefit of the doubt. Purdy turned the ball over 5 times the last two games with some not so great decisions, so Kyle is probably a little tense watching him ad-lib.

When everyone screamed "Mahomes has bad mechanics he's a third rounder," what was going on is things like this. Theoretically, Brock made a terrible decision. But he had the accuracy to feather it in there, so what are you going to do? Maybe don't do that when you're not desperate going forward, but he did it because he can.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

this is crazy. Kyle pulled a Steph Curry lol
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I mean his "worst decision as a Niner?" GTFOH with that nonsense. The INT at the goal line last game was far worse. Many other incompletions, INT's, missed opportunities. This is Kyle's way of extinguishing any hype that his players get. It's absurd and weird. Such a control freak.

Purdy said he agreed

idc though I liked the throw

He's not going to show up his coach in public, or anywhere. He takes the bullet for his teammates too. Kyle is a straight a*****e for what he said. Purdy saved his damn career, should be a little more appreciative maybe?

No, Brock is good enough to know that was a bad choice with respect to QB fundamentals. But he's a gunslinger. It's what he is and it's why he's good. Just like Patrick Mahomes (whom I've compared Purdy to at least for situations that don't require Mahomes' arm strength—that is, that 12-15 yard window), he has to merely control his aggressiveness and harness it at the right time, not completely remove it. And that means knowing if a risk is worth it. This pass worked, mainly because Brock is good enough to float the ball in there. But the timing maybe wasn't the best.

So, our guy needs to be tempered like a good sword, not extinguished. Let him keep taking chances, so long as it's a good time in the game to do it.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

You would have been nutting in your pants if a former QB of ours played as well as Brock played yesterday. And would not have even mentioned a loaded football team or anything of the sort. You arent fooling anyone.
looks like 4f6 has taken the heel approach now..

Its laughable.
no it's pretty easy, you do the eye test or film
you can have a great game, and it's rough stats
or a bad game, and it's great stats

how is a guy operating play to play is the measure,

BP is doing great imo
I don't think I'm watching better QB play than I've ever seen in my life, I feel that way when I watched Brady, some Mahomes, Montana, and a few others. I think prime Rodgers did it as well as it can be done. BP ain't there yet, but it's a silly ask for him to be there yet in the first place. He's had ups and downs this season, but I am extremely impressed he came back so quick, and he's having a great year, no question.. let's take it game to game

After years of reading your analysis of Jimmy's play, forgive me for dismissing your eye test and/or film study entirely.

Again, I clearly wasn't saying Brock was playing better than any QB has ever played in their entire careers. The comparison was for the beginning of their careers.

It's because he wants Darnold to be the guy. Gone from Jimmy to Sam. He's the webzone patron saint of lost causes
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I mean his "worst decision as a Niner?" GTFOH with that nonsense. The INT at the goal line last game was far worse. Many other incompletions, INT's, missed opportunities. This is Kyle's way of extinguishing any hype that his players get. It's absurd and weird. Such a control freak.

Purdy said he agreed

idc though I liked the throw

He's not going to show up his coach in public, or anywhere. He takes the bullet for his teammates too. Kyle is a straight a*****e for what he said. Purdy saved his damn career, should be a little more appreciative maybe?

No, Brock is good enough to know that was a bad choice with respect to QB fundamentals. But he's a gunslinger. It's what he is and it's why he's good. Just like Patrick Mahomes (whom I've compared Purdy to at least for situations that don't require Mahomes' arm strength—that is, that 12-15 yard window), he has to merely control his aggressiveness and harness it at the right time, not completely remove it. And that means knowing if a risk is worth it. This pass worked, mainly because Brock is good enough to float the ball in there. But the timing maybe wasn't the best.

So, our guy needs to be tempered like a good sword, not extinguished. Let him keep taking chances, so long as it's a good time in the game to do it.

I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

Elite throws
:53 3rd and 8 dart to Jennings for a 1st down
1:03 3rd and short, long TD to Kittle
1:22 3rd and 9 lazer to Aiyuk on the deep out/comeback

Honorable mention
:43 1st and 10 over the middle to Aiyuk in between defenders
1:37 2nd and 9 over the middle to Kittle in between defenders
*both times using his eyes to move the LB to open a passing window

Rest of the video is very solid. All but a couple of these are chunk plays picking up 1st downs. "Ok/good" lol what on earth, bro.

this is a good effort, things to work on also
he got beat 2x at least by the blitz, and it took pts off the board imo, he had a guy hand raised for a TD iirc
also the decision KS said rightly was not the best decision (or even said it was his worst decision, not sure the exact wording), sometimes you get a lil lucky on those, or you make your own luck with a good throw, on a bad decision
Share 49ersWebzone