LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 280 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

this is crazy. Kyle pulled a Steph Curry lol
Kyle is a AHOLE arrrggh !!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.

He looked elite all game and the ill advised pass had no chance of being picked, it was perfectly placed.
Just calling it how I see it, I didn't see elite on Sunday. He did ok / good. He got called out for a pass we all know was ill advised, even if the result is great. He didn't unload on a couple blitzes, and you have to throw into the blitz. Not his best game, but certainly more than good enough, when the D plays like that. He had an awesome throw to 85. That was an elite moment.

I think we will win the SB this year, if anyone wants to say it's BP doing it solo, or we win cuz he's the best QB in the game or other cult of BP stuff, that's not what I am watching. He's playing really well, on a complete / loaded football team.

Excuse me for interrupting, but, what do you call elite?

Both NFL.com and ESPN gave him the top rating in the league both for that game and now for the season. Several writers, including MM who sees him every week, said it was his best game of the season.

Tua and Goff are playing on loaded teams as well, and they are doing well, but not as good as Purdy. Your metric is confusing.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Look, man, I love Brock Purdy. That angle does nothing for me. The ball floated two inches above the defenders' hands and he was caught off guard and didn't even jump. That was a bad decision. The video shows open real estate right in front of him. Take it. That's what Montana used to do, and it would frustrate defenses to no end. Just take what they give. Brock is totally equipped to play that type of game. He has great accuracy, great anticipation, calm demeanor, good vision, good reads. He has almost the whole package but for being a little short, a little weak armed, but those are not insurmountable problems. What he doesn't need to do, and what could undo him, if he has a propensity to make Favre-like bonehead plays. Just keep it clean and take what they give. I think even he believes that's what he should do, he just sometimes can't help himself.

That is called an accurate pass.

Arm didn't look at all weak either.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

come on, going across body, from outside the numbers, and floating it over the middle, that's a very clear no no for a QB, KS doesn't need to say anything, heck the broadcast team marveled, at the decision making vs the result, you don't need to hear from KS, just watch the tv broadcast
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Furlow:
I mean his "worst decision as a Niner?" GTFOH with that nonsense. The INT at the goal line last game was far worse. Many other incompletions, INT's, missed opportunities. This is Kyle's way of extinguishing any hype that his players get. It's absurd and weird. Such a control freak.

Purdy said he agreed

idc though I liked the throw

He's not going to show up his coach in public, or anywhere. He takes the bullet for his teammates too. Kyle is a straight a*****e for what he said. Purdy saved his damn career, should be a little more appreciative maybe?

No, Brock is good enough to know that was a bad choice with respect to QB fundamentals. But he's a gunslinger. It's what he is and it's why he's good. Just like Patrick Mahomes (whom I've compared Purdy to at least for situations that don't require Mahomes' arm strength—that is, that 12-15 yard window), he has to merely control his aggressiveness and harness it at the right time, not completely remove it. And that means knowing if a risk is worth it. This pass worked, mainly because Brock is good enough to float the ball in there. But the timing maybe wasn't the best.

So, our guy needs to be tempered like a good sword, not extinguished. Let him keep taking chances, so long as it's a good time in the game to do it.

What I love about Purdy is that he throws with such accuracy and touch when hitting his outlets with things caving in on him that they can make the play out of it. Part of that is McCaffrey's superior catching skills also, who gets about 1/3 of Purdy's targets. Purdy is definitely capable of doing a bit more with his legs. I think the Mahomes comparison is maybe true on the mentality and seeing the field part, but Mahomes is on a different level than Purdy in terms of arm talent, strength, escapability. Purdy is good in those categories, but Mahomes is elite. If I had a joystick I'd just tweak Purdy's game to run about 4-5 times per game to keep the chains moving. I think that would really put defenses in a bind with our other weapons if they had to account for Purdy running a bit.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

this is crazy. Kyle pulled a Steph Curry lol
Kyle is a AHOLE arrrggh !!

Weird reply to my post, but okay lol
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Look, man, I love Brock Purdy. That angle does nothing for me. The ball floated two inches above the defenders' hands and he was caught off guard and didn't even jump. That was a bad decision. The video shows open real estate right in front of him. Take it. That's what Montana used to do, and it would frustrate defenses to no end. Just take what they give. Brock is totally equipped to play that type of game. He has great accuracy, great anticipation, calm demeanor, good vision, good reads. He has almost the whole package but for being a little short, a little weak armed, but those are not insurmountable problems. What he doesn't need to do, and what could undo him, if he has a propensity to make Favre-like bonehead plays. Just keep it clean and take what they give. I think even he believes that's what he should do, he just sometimes can't help himself.

I think if you're being honest with yourself, and look at it from a Jaguar defender's point of view, that was an easy, misplayed pick by the defender who found himself flat footed at the moment he could have been high pointing a red zone pick.

QB School^
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 13, 2023 at 1:10 PM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

I think if you're being honest with yourself, and look at it from a Jaguar defender's point of view, that was an easy, misplayed pick by the defender who found himself flat footed at the moment he could have been high pointing a red zone pick.

ehhh. Aiyuk pushed the defender outta the way

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

come on, going across body, from outside the numbers, and floating it over the middle, that's a very clear no no for a QB, KS doesn't need to say anything, heck the broadcast team marveled, at the decision making vs the result, you don't need to hear from KS, just watch the tv broadcast

And like I said, had it been Mahomes, it would have been celebrated not called "the worst decision of his career."
Originally posted by boast:
ehhh. Aiyuk pushed the defender outta the way

Yep.
im still trying to wrap my head around how he was able to complete that td throw to kittle
  • thl408
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
im still trying to wrap my head around how he was able to complete that td throw to kittle
because he didn't, Kittle made it complete by catching it
Share 49ersWebzone