LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 287 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.
laid off the middle a tad like i hoped
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.

Didn't people say he can't throw outside the numbers?
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Didn't people say he can't throw outside the numbers?

Not sure I've heard that about Purdy.
New subject:

What does everyone think about the multiple underhand lobs he's thrown while going down for sacks this season? Are these bad or smart? It has really bothered me, but maybe they are not so bad?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
im still trying to wrap my head around how he was able to complete that td throw to kittle

Definitely one of his best throws. Just a top tier play.
Originally posted by mattster03:
New subject:

What does everyone think about the multiple underhand lobs he's thrown while going down for sacks this season? Are these bad or smart? It has really bothered me, but maybe they are not so bad?

They're bad. Really only a potential for disaster with no real upside. Imagine it's something he'll grow out of with time.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

come on, going across body, from outside the numbers, and floating it over the middle, that's a very clear no no for a QB, KS doesn't need to say anything, heck the broadcast team marveled, at the decision making vs the result, you don't need to hear from KS, just watch the tv broadcast

And like I said, had it been Mahomes, it would have been celebrated not called "the worst decision of his career."

Kyle called it "one of the worst decisions of his career" not the worst. He had worse decisions against the Bengals just a few weeks ago.

As for Mahomes, well yea, winning multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, making at least the AFC championship game every season of your career, and having a winning record in games where you trail by 10 tends to earn you the benefit of the doubt.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Nov 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Kyle called it "one of the worst decisions of his career" not the worst. He had worst decisions against the Bengals just a few weeks ago.

As for Mahomes, well yea, winning multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, making at least the AFC championship game every season of your career, and having a winning record in games where you trail by 10 tends to earn you the benefit of the doubt.

Mahomes is likely taking heat for that decision too. Not every out of structure decision or off platform improv play is the same. Not to mention the difference in physical gifts that allow for a greater margin of error.
New subject:

he did last year and he did it at ISU too. it's nothing new for Brock

New subject:

I am agnostic. An underhand pass is the same as an overhand pass for purposes of getting rid of it to avoid a sack, though as we saw in the game you are no less likely to have intentional grounding called.

There are two ways for a QB to be successful assuming he has reasonable talent around him. One is to be really physically gifted with size, speed and arm strength. The othe ris to be really smart and understand the intricacies of the playbook.

In the first case you can win games with amazing throws or breaking a long run. Those guys often rely so much on the big play that it's hard to win consistently but they can still win a lot of games. Guys like Allen and Jackson fall into this group.

Then we have the so called system QBs like Purdy. His understanding of the offense allows him to overcome any physical shortcomings. Guys in this grouo will win a lot of games as long as the defense plays well and keeps the score low so they don't need to make great plays all the time. That doesn't mean they can' make great throws but it's not a major part of their game. Solid, accurate and consistent. That's how they win.

Occasionally a player comes along that combines uncanny ability to make plays out of nothing and has a great understanding of the game. Those players are rare and become true franchise players. Guys that you never trade unless they're at the end of their career. Mahomes is in that category right now. Everyone else is kind of somewhere in between. Flashes of greatness mixed with mediocrity. Amazing physical plays and then a stupid bonehead mistake.

If Brock stays healthy and stays with this team he may eventually reach the point where he's untouchable. Not because of his physical skills but because he knows the offense so well that he becomes a coach on the field. He'll know instinctively where every guy is supposed to be. He won't make as many risky throws unless it's really necessary. We had that with Montana toward the middle of his career. He couldn't move like he did when he first came into the league but he was an extension of Walsh on the field.
this is a good effort, things to work on also
he got beat 2x at least by the blitz, and it took pts off the board imo, he had a guy hand raised for a TD iirc
also the decision KS said rightly was not the best decision (or even said it was his worst decision, not sure the exact wording), sometimes you get a lil lucky on those, or you make your own luck with a good throw, on a bad decision

This is going to be the last post I have to you for a while, but I just have to get this out.

We beat a very good team on the road and scored 34 points. Brock had 3 touchdowns and a nearly perfect QB rating. You battled against other posters for years over Jimmy, yet are doing exactly what you fought against for years.

He got beat by the blitz 2x?! LOL

It took points off the board because one player had his hand up? LOL

Have a little bit of self awareness FFS. If we had won a nailbiter by one score and you perceived a couple plays which Brock left plays on the field, then by all means discuss it. Missing a few plays in close games can often times screw a team over. Myself, waterbear and a few other posters over the years would criticize Jimmy when his play kept the opponent in games (by leaving plays on the field) and you called us out as hating. But Brock played a near flawless game and you are criticizing his play like he almost lost us the game. Its amazing how hypocritical you are being.

Like I said, have some self awareness.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 13, 2023 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
laid off the middle a tad like i hoped

Brock made short outside the numbers completions. The Jags defense parted like a cheap $20 vagina for 2TDs in the middle.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

come on, going across body, from outside the numbers, and floating it over the middle, that's a very clear no no for a QB, KS doesn't need to say anything, heck the broadcast team marveled, at the decision making vs the result, you don't need to hear from KS, just watch the tv broadcast

And like I said, had it been Mahomes, it would have been celebrated not called "the worst decision of his career."

Kyle called it "one of the worst decisions of his career" not the worst. He had worse decisions against the Bengals just a few weeks ago.

As much as I agree that having a resume entitles a player to the benefit of the doubt, I think one singular play shouldnt apply to that. Was it a risky throw? Sure. Does it matter? Not in the slightest bit. I am sure regardless of the result, Brock will be more careful in a similar situation moving forward.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Look, man, I love Brock Purdy. That angle does nothing for me. The ball floated two inches above the defenders' hands and he was caught off guard and didn't even jump. That was a bad decision. The video shows open real estate right in front of him. Take it. That's what Montana used to do, and it would frustrate defenses to no end. Just take what they give. Brock is totally equipped to play that type of game. He has great accuracy, great anticipation, calm demeanor, good vision, good reads. He has almost the whole package but for being a little short, a little weak armed, but those are not insurmountable problems. What he doesn't need to do, and what could undo him, if he has a propensity to make Favre-like bonehead plays. Just keep it clean and take what they give. I think even he believes that's what he should do, he just sometimes can't help himself.

That is called an accurate pass.

Arm didn't look at all weak either.

I think if you're being honest with yourself, and look at it from a Jaguar defender's point of view, that was an easy, misplayed pick by the defender who found himself flat footed at the moment he could have been high pointing a red zone pick.

The guy was flat-footed because he was caught out of position and was backpedaling.
Share 49ersWebzone