LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 228 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by thl408:
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.
laid off the middle a tad like i hoped

I was calling for this after the MIN game. We finally have a QB that can take advantage of passes outside the numbers, defenses have been cheating inside, so why not take advantage of what the defense is willing to give us?
Originally posted by BSofSF:
What I love about Purdy is that he throws with such accuracy and touch when hitting his outlets with things caving in on him that they can make the play out of it. Part of that is McCaffrey's superior catching skills also, who gets about 1/3 of Purdy's targets. Purdy is definitely capable of doing a bit more with his legs. I think the Mahomes comparison is maybe true on the mentality and seeing the field part, but Mahomes is on a different level than Purdy in terms of arm talent, strength, escapability. Purdy is good in those categories, but Mahomes is elite. If I had a joystick I'd just tweak Purdy's game to run about 4-5 times per game to keep the chains moving. I think that would really put defenses in a bind with our other weapons if they had to account for Purdy running a bit.

He had several good runs in the Cincy game as things developed. In the game yesterday, the strength of Jaguar edge players did not leave much room to run. The pocket game was working and 34 points was the result.

He has proven he can run, and will likely run more in the future...as long as he plays it safe. I still recall the end of Alex Smith's career in SF when he did not go down when he should have. No need for a replay of that here.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Kyle called it "one of the worst decisions of his career" not the worst. He had worse decisions against the Bengals just a few weeks ago.

As for Mahomes, well yea, winning multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, making at least the AFC championship game every season of your career, and having a winning record in games where you trail by 10 tends to earn you the benefit of the doubt.

Having a healthy Tyreek Hill will do all that for you.
Originally posted by boast:

Looks like a little push by BA to make the catch

I'll take it anyway, we've been ripped off too many times.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.

I was calling for this after the MIN game. We finally have a QB that can take advantage of passes outside the numbers, defenses have been cheating inside, so why not take advantage of what the defense is willing to give us?

That's great to see. I wonder if that was by design because of the previous 3 games or something Kyle saw with Jacksonville.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

That's great to see. I wonder if that was by design because of the previous 3 games or something Kyle saw with Jacksonville.
it can be both
Originally posted by Patton:

Looks like a little push by BA to make the catch

I'll take it anyway, we've been ripped off too many times.

Well, throwing those risky ones ..you HAVE to give Brock a pass when it comes to a INT a game.

49er fans let Jimmy G get away with crimes unbeknownst to man WEEKLY.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I mean his "worst decision as a Niner?" GTFOH with that nonsense. The INT at the goal line last game was far worse. Many other incompletions, INT's, missed opportunities. This is Kyle's way of extinguishing any hype that his players get. It's absurd and weird. Such a control freak.

Purdy said he agreed

idc though I liked the throw

He's not going to show up his coach in public, or anywhere. He takes the bullet for his teammates too. Kyle is a straight a*****e for what he said. Purdy saved his damn career, should be a little more appreciative maybe?

No, Brock is good enough to know that was a bad choice with respect to QB fundamentals. But he's a gunslinger. It's what he is and it's why he's good. Just like Patrick Mahomes (whom I've compared Purdy to at least for situations that don't require Mahomes' arm strength—that is, that 12-15 yard window), he has to merely control his aggressiveness and harness it at the right time, not completely remove it. And that means knowing if a risk is worth it. This pass worked, mainly because Brock is good enough to float the ball in there. But the timing maybe wasn't the best.

So, our guy needs to be tempered like a good sword, not extinguished. Let him keep taking chances, so long as it's a good time in the game to do it.

I hear what you are saying. I just think had it been Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, etc., that they would have been praised for an off schedule amazing touchdown throw. Brock does it, and it's "the worst decision he has ever made."

I get that it was risky. But it worked out. Maybe next time it won't, but maybe next time he doesn't choose as risky a throw. I just wish Kyle hadn't said what he said in the press conference. If he didn't, a lot of posters wouldn't be in parrot mode and claim Brock made a bad play.

This. These dude's acting like they were upset when the play happened. Lol stop it.

The DB isn't really flat-footed but he doesn't elevate like he would if he had realized BA was behind him.

Another observation: the camera angle makes it appear the DB's hand was closer to the ball than it actually was. It wasn't inches...closer to a foot, IMO.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this is a good effort, things to work on also
he got beat 2x at least by the blitz, and it took pts off the board imo, he had a guy hand raised for a TD iirc
also the decision KS said rightly was not the best decision (or even said it was his worst decision, not sure the exact wording), sometimes you get a lil lucky on those, or you make your own luck with a good throw, on a bad decision

This is going to be the last post I have to you for a while, but I just have to get this out.

We beat a very good team on the road and scored 34 points. Brock had 3 touchdowns and a nearly perfect QB rating. You battled against other posters for years over Jimmy, yet are doing exactly what you fought against for years.

He got beat by the blitz 2x?! LOL

It took points off the board because one player had his hand up? LOL

Have a little bit of self awareness FFS. If we had won a nailbiter by one score and you perceived a couple plays which Brock left plays on the field, then by all means discuss it. Missing a few plays in close games can often times screw a team over. Myself, waterbear and a few other posters over the years would criticize Jimmy when his play kept the opponent in games (by leaving plays on the field) and you called us out as hating. But Brock played a near flawless game and you are criticizing his play like he almost lost us the game. Its amazing how hypocritical you are being.

Like I said, have some self awareness.

My how the tables have turned. 49erFaithful was my guy in the Jimmy G thread lol. Now I'm shoulder to shoulder with SWH (who I've battled with for years regarding Alex and Jimmy) defending Purdy. Very interesting.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

The DB isn't really flat-footed but he doesn't elevate like he would if he had realized BA was behind him.

Another observation: the camera angle makes it appear the DB's hand was closer to the ball than it actually was. It wasn't inches...closer to a foot, IMO.

That's why I posted this same angle for someone to see. The defender really wasn't that close to the ball.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Kyle called it "one of the worst decisions of his career" not the worst. He had worse decisions against the Bengals just a few weeks ago.

As for Mahomes, well yea, winning multiple Super Bowls, MVPs, making at least the AFC championship game every season of your career, and having a winning record in games where you trail by 10 tends to earn you the benefit of the doubt.

Having a healthy Tyreek Hill will do all that for you.

Will it? Tyreek was on the Dolphins last year when Mahomes became the first player to win MVP, the Super Bowl, and SB MVP in the same season in over 20 years.
This. These dude's acting like they were upset when the play happened. Lol stop it.

upset is a strong word, it was clearly not what you want to see..
it was a literal no no no no.. yessss type play..
so that's live reaction as the play is going down

JTO calls that living on the edge. Thing about living on the edge, is sometimes you fall off. So the cross body soft toss over the middle into a crowd of defenders, isn't a thing you want to see every week. Ppl had the reaction to the play live. I think NY in real time posted on it in the gameday thread, correctly. I think most fball fans know cross body into traffic over the middle is in general a no no.

now when ppl call his game yesterday elite, let's just pretend for a sec, that ball is picked, Jags are celebrating the pick as a team, as teams do... is the game still elite?

i'm trying not to judge on results or stats, but on how is he playing the position, how is he executing, what kind of decisions is he making, are they the correct decisions, and so forth.. I thought he had very good moments, and some head scratchers. Overall, he played okay / good imo.

If I give a gameball, it's not to BP, how about to Wilks. You go into Jax and allow 3? And that FG was a knuckler, very nearly a shutout. After the heat he took, coming down to the sideline, he deserves a recognition. And CMC, not so much for yesterday, but in honor and recognition, of his streak.
You guys are complaining about a dime throw touchdown. We have seen players on the 49ers throw it out of bounds and into the stands. A few risks to be aggressive is OK.

He has a little Brock Favre in him.
Share 49ersWebzone