LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 261 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You guys are complaining about a dime throw touchdown. We have seen players on the 49ers throw it out of bounds and into the stands. A few risks to be aggressive is OK.

He has a little Brock Favre in him.

Drew Brees made a living off throwing that same ball to Jimmy graham in the back of the endzone and his head coach was never crying about it...

You had giant arms ayuik and kittle both there. The throw was perfect. Even if the DB times it perfect kittle or ayuik should still come down with it ...

Yes I agree.

Brock f-ng Brees Deal with it
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
This. These dude's acting like they were upset when the play happened. Lol stop it.

upset is a strong word, it was clearly not what you want to see..
it was a literal no no no no.. yessss type play..
so that's live reaction as the play is going down

JTO calls that living on the edge. Thing about living on the edge, is sometimes you fall off. So the cross body soft toss over the middle into a crowd of defenders, isn't a thing you want to see every week. Ppl had the reaction to the play live. I think NY in real time posted on it in the gameday thread, correctly. I think most fball fans know cross body into traffic over the middle is in general a no no.

now when ppl call his game yesterday elite, let's just pretend for a sec, that ball is picked, Jags are celebrating the pick as a team, as teams do... is the game still elite?

i'm trying not to judge on results or stats, but on how is he playing the position, how is he executing, what kind of decisions is he making, are they the correct decisions, and so forth.. I thought he had very good moments, and some head scratchers. Overall, he played okay / good imo.

If I give a gameball, it's not to BP, how about to Wilks. You go into Jax and allow 3? And that FG was a knuckler, very nearly a shutout. After the heat he took, coming down to the sideline, he deserves a recognition. And CMC, not so much for yesterday, but in honor and recognition, of his streak.

Guys that take chances and throw TD's can be called elite. Guys that take chances and throw INT's cannot. Purdy has been much more the former than the latter. I guess some of you just need to see it more and for longer to call him elite. I don't, most don't.
just like alex smith was elite or jimmy g was elite .. maybe you use the elite label too soon.

nothing is wrong with waiting and just enjoying the game without the labeling or sensitivity

I never ever called Alex nor Jimmy elite lol. And please stop with the feminine "sensitivity" argument. The only ones being sensitive in here are those of you who keep accusing others of it. We're on a football forum discussing football. Do that or stay out of threads if it's too much to handle.
never? oh geez the denial sets in now.. lol

calling you out on being sensitive is not being sensitive, it's just calling you out on it lol

Never.

What's being sensitive is not being able to handle criticism of Kyle. And rather than debating your point like men, you resort to name calling like soft and sensitive. Again, leave that for the ladies.
i think most ppl
not on here but around the NFL
would rank BP as somewhere between 8-22 in the NFL today.. so a wide range, and not sure any non 49er source would have him as the #1 QB in today's game, let alone all time..

I see a lot of QBs out there playing good football, BP is one of em.

So when guys say he was previously playing like an all time great, that doesn't ean they're saying he's an all time great. Last year around this time, our defense was putting up numbers similar to the 2002 Bucs and 2000 Ravens. We were putting up all time great numbers. We finished tops in the league, but quite far away from all time great.

So I mean, just pointing out what he's doing at a particular time before the season has ended doesn't mean people think he's going to finish the year as a top 3 QB of all time.
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

hell yeah Brock! Keep balling young man!

LOL this is genius.
This. These dude's acting like they were upset when the play happened. Lol stop it.

JTO calls that living on the edge. Thing about living on the edge, is sometimes you fall off. So the cross body soft toss over the middle into a crowd of defenders, isn't a thing you want to see every week. Ppl had the reaction to the play live. I think NY in real time posted on it in the gameday thread, correctly. I think most fball fans know cross body into traffic over the middle is in general a no no.

now when ppl call his game yesterday elite, let's just pretend for a sec, that ball is picked, Jags are celebrating the pick as a team, as teams do... is the game still elite?

i'm trying not to judge on results or stats, but on how is he playing the position, how is he executing, what kind of decisions is he making, are they the correct decisions, and so forth.. I thought he had very good moments, and some head scratchers. Overall, he played okay / good imo.

If I give a gameball, it's not to BP, how about to Wilks. You go into Jax and allow 3? And that FG was a knuckler, very nearly a shutout. After the heat he took, coming down to the sideline, he deserves a recognition. And CMC, not so much for yesterday, but in honor and recognition, of his streak.

Guys that take chances and throw TD's can be called elite. Guys that take chances and throw INT's cannot. Purdy has been much more the former than the latter. I guess some of you just need to see it more and for longer to call him elite. I don't, most don't.
just like alex smith was elite or jimmy g was elite .. maybe you use the elite label too soon.

nothing is wrong with waiting and just enjoying the game without the labeling or sensitivity

I never ever called Alex nor Jimmy elite lol. And please stop with the feminine "sensitivity" argument. The only ones being sensitive in here are those of you who keep accusing others of it. We're on a football forum discussing football. Do that or stay out of threads if it's too much to handle.

calling you out on being sensitive is not being sensitive, it's just calling you out on it lol

Never.

What's being sensitive is not being able to handle criticism of Kyle. And rather than debating your point like men, you resort to name calling like soft and sensitive. Again, leave that for the ladies.
what point of being mad and sensitive over a facetious talk of Purdy's touchdown did you want to debate ?

stay mad mr not sensitive lol
Colin Cowherd with the "he didn't make any particularly difficult throws"

lol do these guys ever watch the games?

Just drop it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by boast:
ehhh. Aiyuk pushed the defender outta the way

Yep.

Brock trusting his guy to know when and how to get away with subtle PI.
Originally posted by thl408:
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.

Maybe it looked the way it tended to look for all these years because Jimmy G was the quarterback?
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by thl408:
His spray chart for JAC looks like an inverse of a typical Kyle passing offense.

Maybe it looked the way it tended to look for all these years because Jimmy G was the quarterback?

maybe one day people will stop comparing brock to jimmy

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Colin Cowherd with the "he didn't make any particularly difficult throws"

lol do these guys ever watch the games?

Did he really say that? Brock made more difficult throws yesterday than he probably has in any other game in his career. That's reflected in his career high PFF grade for the game as PFF tends to reward making higher difficulty plays.

Oh yeah! I don't want to see touchdown throws that aren't considered 'safe'...lol
Originally posted by mattster03:
New subject:

What does everyone think about the multiple underhand lobs he's thrown while going down for sacks this season? Are these bad or smart? It has really bothered me, but maybe they are not so bad?

Elite throwaways.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by mattster03:
New subject:

What does everyone think about the multiple underhand lobs he's thrown while going down for sacks this season? Are these bad or smart? It has really bothered me, but maybe they are not so bad?

Elite throwaways.

I almost feel, and this is not BP specific, but those moments should be a sack. You can't land on these guys, you can't go high, you can't go low, and you work all day to get home, and when you do it's ball out left handed sometimes, thrown away. Love did that yesterday, in the grasp, and unloads left handed. Just give the dude a sack and blow it dead as in the grasp. He earned it.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There are two ways for a QB to be successful assuming he has reasonable talent around him. One is to be really physically gifted with size, speed and arm strength. The othe ris to be really smart and understand the intricacies of the playbook.

In the first case you can win games with amazing throws or breaking a long run. Those guys often rely so much on the big play that it's hard to win consistently but they can still win a lot of games. Guys like Allen and Jackson fall into this group.

Then we have the so called system QBs like Purdy. His understanding of the offense allows him to overcome any physical shortcomings. Guys in this grouo will win a lot of games as long as the defense plays well and keeps the score low so they don't need to make great plays all the time. That doesn't mean they can' make great throws but it's not a major part of their game. Solid, accurate and consistent. That's how they win.

Occasionally a player comes along that combines uncanny ability to make plays out of nothing and has a great understanding of the game. Those players are rare and become true franchise players. Guys that you never trade unless they're at the end of their career. Mahomes is in that category right now. Everyone else is kind of somewhere in between. Flashes of greatness mixed with mediocrity. Amazing physical plays and then a stupid bonehead mistake.

If Brock stays healthy and stays with this team he may eventually reach the point where he's untouchable. Not because of his physical skills but because he knows the offense so well that he becomes a coach on the field. He'll know instinctively where every guy is supposed to be. He won't make as many risky throws unless it's really necessary. We had that with Montana toward the middle of his career. He couldn't move like he did when he first came into the league but he was an extension of Walsh on the field.

There's more to it than knowing the offense well though. People often call it "it," but Brock has an instinctual understanding of the game and the reflexes to capitalize on what he sees in an instant. Nothing is ever off the table for him in a play; that is, he's always thinking of ways to exploit what he sees before him, and his vision, reaction time and instincts help him capitalize. It's why he does those horizontal throw-aways. As long as there is a chance to do something, Brock is considering doing it.

When I see a college QB pump fake past the line of scrimmage (like I saw Mahomes do, for example), knowing that he can't throw it, but linebackers are going to react because they can't help it, allowing the QB to get three more yards on the scramble, I know he has that guile, that instinct. And Brock has that. So, it's more than just understanding the playbook or defenses. There is another level of awareness that these special improvisors have, and Brock has that.-
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Nov 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone