LISTEN: This Isn't Kyle Shanahan's Year →

There are 296 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
These dudes just swear that physical talent is all that matters. Same guys that thought Jim Drunkenmiller was going to be a stud.

come on, no one... Not even the 49ers thought he would be good.
Originally posted by Jcool:
These dudes just swear that physical talent is all that matters. Same guys that thought Jim Drunkenmiller was going to be a stud.

sounds a little dramatic if you ask me lol
The pass to Kittle reminded me of this pass from Brees to Graham..against us actually..

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/brees-to-graham-gives-saints-late-lead-6806639

Brock Brees man, telling ya lol
[ Edited by Montana on Nov 13, 2023 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:

they thought he would be durable....beginning and end of that conversation.

They saw him towing around busses with his teeth or some such nonsense....Young was going in and out of games on the regular, and they wanted a big strong QB that could take some abuse and assumed the rest of the talent would carry him.

One year earlier or one year later and Drukenmiller would not have been taken....

As JC points out...no one was drafting a guy to build a franchise with, they wanted a durable back up.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
yeah take your pick of uber gifted QBs....

Shanny 2.0 made Mullins look like Dan Marino for stretches...what could he have done with Jeff George....what about Mike Vick?

There always the Farve, Elway, Cunningham, Rodgers of the world...moderate to elite mobility with absolute cannons.

Want a guy elite at high/low reads and ball placement with tier A+ release...what about Warren Moon. First guy who I saw that really lived off the back shoulder throws before that was a common term. Absolute elite ball placement.

If I got my fantasy pick from rookie to retirement... I am going Warren Moon. We get a ton of touch like Purdy, we get the quick release like Jimmy G, and we get a tad more cannon for tight window then Purdy.

Dude could have erased Dan Marino from the record books.

now this is a real post

Michael Penix, Jr. = Warren Moon
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yeah take your pick of uber gifted QBs....

Shanny 2.0 made Mullins look like Dan Marino for stretches...what could he have done with Jeff George....what about Mike Vick?

There always the Farve, Elway, Cunningham, Rodgers of the world...moderate to elite mobility with absolute cannons.

Want a guy elite at high/low reads and ball placement with tier A+ release...what about Warren Moon. First guy who I saw that really lived off the back shoulder throws before that was a common term. Absolute elite ball placement.

If I got my fantasy pick from rookie to retirement... I am going Warren Moon. We get a ton of touch like Purdy, we get the quick release like Jimmy G, and we get a tad more cannon for tight window then Purdy.

Dude could have erased Dan Marino from the record books.

now this is a real post

Michael Penix, Jr. = Warren Moon

With a name like that, he better be.
Moon was top s**t and not sure why Elway seems to get talked about more than Moon. Makes 0 sense lol
Check this out:
Originally posted by 8080849ers:
Check this out:

Polish on polish
Originally posted by Montana:
Moon was top s**t and not sure why Elway seems to get talked about more than Moon. Makes 0 sense lol

post season... and winter...

5 of the 7 post seasons for the Oilers ran though Buffalo or Denver. Oh and Montana took them out one year with KC....The run and shoot got froze out in the weather. I am sure the 100% true answer is more nuanced then that...but basically the run and shoot offense needed good field conditions.

While that is on Moon...kinda....I blame the system. It is hard to run a pass heavy offense freezing to death....

That run and shoot was a trip...they were LEGIT running around with 5 foot 8 WRs that in the real world were maybe 160 pounds. Probably closer to 145-150. I met Earnest Givings, I think he was listed at 6 foot 180...I was 5'9" 170 back then I dwarfed that guy. No way he was over 150....not a chance. He looked a welter weight boxer before he cut to get to 140. I know he was shorter then me, he had to be 5'7" or maybe 5'8" but max 150.

Anyway...lots of Run and Shoot stuff ended up in the spread offense, we have some of it in our offense today. Primarily tho no TEs, no FBs lots of high/low stuff...lots of rub routs....not a good cold weather offense.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Right. And now after a half season of elite QB play from Purdy, they are still on their knees for a guy like Allen with a two cent head who makes terrible decisions every game.

I was speaking for myself as I was grouped in your comment. I certainly don't think physical talent is all that matters, but I also understand how much situation can impact a QB's job.

I'll forgive your comment since it was made while watching Allen live lol.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That run game was averaging 7.1 YPC in the first half. They currently have 118 yards on 20 carries and a TD. Allen has an elite WR to throw to and a top notch defense. He turned the ball over 3 times in the first half.

They're playing the Broncos, who almost assuredly put zero emphasis on defending that run game.

The Bills offense with Allen is similar in a lot of ways to the Manning Colts or the Rodgers Packers… even though the quarterbacks play the position differently. Only one way to be successful for all of them, and that is their QB dominating the game with some exception here and there.

Some fans on here are in such love with Allen that he and all his turnovers can do no wrong. Idg a crap how physically gifted he is. He is wreckless with the ball and is usually the biggest reason for their losses. Allen will never win a SB.
post season... and winter...

5 of the 7 post seasons for the Oilers ran though Buffalo or Denver. Oh and Montana took them out one year with KC....The run and shoot got froze out in the weather. I am sure the 100% true answer is more nuanced then that...but basically the run and shoot offense needed good field conditions.

While that is on Moon...kinda....I blame the system. It is hard to run a pass heavy offense freezing to death....

That run and shoot was a trip...they were LEGIT running around with 5 foot 8 WRs that in the real world were maybe 160 pounds. Probably closer to 145-150. I met Earnest Givings, I think he was listed at 6 foot 180...I was 5'9" 170 back then I dwarfed that guy. No way he was over 150....not a chance. He looked a welter weight boxer before he cut to get to 140. I know he was shorter then me, he had to be 5'7" or maybe 5'8" but max 150.

Anyway...lots of Run and Shoot stuff ended up in the spread offense, we have some of it in our offense today. Primarily tho no TEs, no FBs lots of high/low stuff...lots of rub routs....not a good cold weather offense.

...and was a better player. Elway is still a top 10 type QB all time.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
After 10 weeks, Purdy's rankings:

Passer rating (109.9) - 1st
QBR (76.4) - 1st
Completion% (68.8) - 7th
Yards per attempt (9.3) - 1st
Passing yards (2,329) - 11th
Passing attempts (250) - 26th
TD's (15) - 9th
TD% (6.0) - 4th
INT% (2.0) - 12th
Passing success rate (56.4) - 1st
*defined as "a pass that gains at least 40% of the yards needed on 1st down, 60% of the yards needed on 2nd down, and 100% of the yards needed on 3rd or 4th down. Denominator is pass attempts + times sacked."
Share 49ersWebzone