There are 238 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
post season... and winter...

5 of the 7 post seasons for the Oilers ran though Buffalo or Denver. Oh and Montana took them out one year with KC....The run and shoot got froze out in the weather. I am sure the 100% true answer is more nuanced then that...but basically the run and shoot offense needed good field conditions.

While that is on Moon...kinda....I blame the system. It is hard to run a pass heavy offense freezing to death....

That run and shoot was a trip...they were LEGIT running around with 5 foot 8 WRs that in the real world were maybe 160 pounds. Probably closer to 145-150. I met Earnest Givings, I think he was listed at 6 foot 180...I was 5'9" 170 back then I dwarfed that guy. No way he was over 150....not a chance. He looked a welter weight boxer before he cut to get to 140. I know he was shorter then me, he had to be 5'7" or maybe 5'8" but max 150.

Anyway...lots of Run and Shoot stuff ended up in the spread offense, we have some of it in our offense today. Primarily tho no TEs, no FBs lots of high/low stuff...lots of rub routs....not a good cold weather offense.

...and was a better player. Elway is still a top 10 type QB all time.

we are never gonna agree on that, so we can pretty much just agree to disagree

Elway is not anywhere near Warren Moon in my book.

Warren Moon did not throw his first NFL pass until a month before his 29th Birthday.... Dude was 29 years old his rookie NFL season and almost beats out Elway's volume career metrics. We are talking 49,000ish yards to 51,000ish yards and 290 TDs to 300 TDs

I would be hella curious to see your top 10 QB all time list.

one would think most people would have some combination of Brady, Joe, Peyton, Marino and Brees as their top 5.

Most people would also have to account for Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Bret Farve, Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan as well. All QBs who have thrown more TDs, More Yards, more yards per game then John Elway

Then you have to figure out where you want to put guys like Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Andrew Luck, Kurt Warner..guys with shorter careers who are statistically better then Elway. in the case of Young and Warner they also have twice the MVPs as Elway.

once we figure that out, you can figure out how you are going to deal with guys like Russel Wilson and Mahomes (there are others) who are still playing but index higher then Elway. Mahomes already has more MVPs then Elway.... what about guys like Cunningham or Vick who changed the way the NFL had to defend the QB position. You got to get all that sorted before you can look at guys like Roger Staurbach, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw....Joe Namath and figure out how much weight you are going to give those dudes for their era.

Heck Unitas, Bradshaw and Namath have 6 league MVPs between them.

I can't see Elway in my top 10.

Forget Brady, Joe, Peyton and Marino and Brees. Top 5 in some order depending on how I am feeling that week. No way he goes in over Aaron Rodgers a 4 time MVP, no way he goes in over Farve a 3 time MVP. No way he goes in over Steve or Warner multiple MVPs. Mahomes already crushes him in per game statistics but more importantly already has him beat in MVPs compared to his contemporaries....that is before we start factoring in all the other dudes that statically beat him.
LOL @ that dot in the upper left.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
...and was a better player. Elway is still a top 10 type QB all time.

Hype machine still working decades later SMH
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

It's saying that PFF have graded a smaller percentage of Fields and Howell's passes as "turnover-worthy", but they also have a smaller percentage of passes graded as being "big-time".

It's an attempt to quantify the attributes traditionally associated with the "gunslinger" QBs, I.E. a high-risk, high-reward style of play. By PFF's metrics, Purdy might be the most "gunslinger" QB in the league.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Nov 14, 2023 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
These dudes just swear that physical talent is all that matters. Same guys that thought Jim Drunkenmiller was going to be a stud.

come on, no one... Not even the 49ers thought he would be good.

they thought he would be durable....beginning and end of that conversation.

They saw him towing around busses with his teeth or some such nonsense....Young was going in and out of games on the regular, and they wanted a big strong QB that could take some abuse and assumed the rest of the talent would carry him.

One year earlier or one year later and Drukenmiller would not have been taken....

As JC points out...no one was drafting a guy to build a franchise with, they wanted a durable back up.

If we all remember that was when Bill Walsh quit the organization because he wanted Jake Plummer. Again Bill was right lol.
I'll forgive your comment since it was made while watching Allen live lol.

No need for forgiveness. Allen is an elite player.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

He has elite physical measurements but he isn't an elite player. There is a difference.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

He has elite physical measurements but he isn't an elite player. There is a difference.

uh, he isn't?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

uh, he isn't?

No. He isn't. I would not put him in the same category as Brady, Mahomes, Brees or Manning.

You all are enamored by a turnover machine who just got his offensive coordinator fired.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

uh, he isn't?

No. He isn't. I would not put him in the same category as Brady, Mahomes, Brees or Manning.

Elite in my book no question,
you need to define elite, I would say between PB and MVP level, he's somewhere in there, been to PBs and finished top 3 in MVP 2x

Those are four of the greatest players to ever play the position. I don't have a problem if you think they're better than Allen.

Allen is a top 5 QB in the game today. He's been one of the best QB's for almost half a decade.
we are never gonna agree on that, so we can pretty much just agree to disagree

Elway is not anywhere near Warren Moon in my book.

Warren Moon did not throw his first NFL pass until a month before his 29th Birthday.... Dude was 29 years old his rookie NFL season and almost beats out Elway's volume career metrics. We are talking 49,000ish yards to 51,000ish yards and 290 TDs to 300 TDs

I would be hella curious to see your top 10 QB all time list.

one would think most people would have some combination of Brady, Joe, Peyton, Marino and Brees as their top 5.

Most people would also have to account for Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Bret Farve, Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan as well. All QBs who have thrown more TDs, More Yards, more yards per game then John Elway

Then you have to figure out where you want to put guys like Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Andrew Luck, Kurt Warner..guys with shorter careers who are statistically better then Elway. in the case of Young and Warner they also have twice the MVPs as Elway.

once we figure that out, you can figure out how you are going to deal with guys like Russel Wilson and Mahomes (there are others) who are still playing but index higher then Elway. Mahomes already has more MVPs then Elway.... what about guys like Cunningham or Vick who changed the way the NFL had to defend the QB position. You got to get all that sorted before you can look at guys like Roger Staurbach, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw....Joe Namath and figure out how much weight you are going to give those dudes for their era.

Heck Unitas, Bradshaw and Namath have 6 league MVPs between them.

I can't see Elway in my top 10.

Forget Brady, Joe, Peyton and Marino and Brees. Top 5 in some order depending on how I am feeling that week. No way he goes in over Aaron Rodgers a 4 time MVP, no way he goes in over Farve a 3 time MVP. No way he goes in over Steve or Warner multiple MVPs. Mahomes already crushes him in per game statistics but more importantly already has him beat in MVPs compared to his contemporaries....that is before we start factoring in all the other dudes that statically beat him.

I'm not gonna go into another Elway discussion...but in regards to Moon - whom I think was a good/great player in his own right - all I'll say is this:

Switch those guys and put them on the other QB's team and see what happens. Elway 'carried' those early Bronco teams to Super Bowls with the likes of Mark Jackson and Vance Johnson at receiver. Moon ain't taking that team to any Super Bowl, let alone three of them. Elway masked a lot of flaws on his team that Moon simply couldn't. When you compare stats at face value given the completely different eras all those QB's you mentioned....I just can't take that seriously. Phillip Rivers? Matt Ryan? C'mon.

Those are four of the greatest players to ever play the position. I don't have a problem if you think they're better than Allen.

Allen is a top 5 QB in the game today. He's been one of the best QB's for almost half a decade.

Well I put Allen up there with Herbert, Burrow, Jackson and Cousins. None of those QB's are quite elite imo. Elite are those QB's that I previously mentioned in the post you quoted. All the QB's I mentioned in this post are a tier below them.
Share 49ersWebzone