There are 323 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Elite, imo, is the ceiling. Meaning there is no tier above elite. So if you aren't one of the greatest of all time, you are a tier below or lower than elite.
Who cares about their dumb made up chart? He throws touchdowns and wins games. He's the best QB we had in 20+ years. Just watch the games. Anybody can see that.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 14, 2023 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Well I put Allen up there with Herbert, Burrow, Jackson and Cousins. None of those QB's are quite elite imo. Elite are those QB's that I previously mentioned in the post you quoted. All the QB's I mentioned in this post are a tier below them.

So you have one elite QB in the game today, You're defining elite differently than what's common in NFL discourse. That's fine, but it just becomes a semantical argument. I'd have the same group at the top of the NFL definitely minus Cousins.

That said, Allen can be one of the best QB's of all time and arguably has played like that for the better part of half a decade.
Elite, imo, is the ceiling. Meaning there is no tier above elite. So if you aren't one of the greatest of all time, you are a tier below or lower than elite.

this definition is silly, you are talking 'historically' elite, typically elite is in the era of the day
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

It's showing turnover-worthy throws vs big time throws…not who's the better QB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 14, 2023 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

this definition is silly, you are talking 'historically' elite, typically elite is in the era of the day

So then you have levels of elite? That makes zero sense to me.
Well I put Allen up there with Herbert, Burrow, Jackson and Cousins. None of those QB's are quite elite imo. Elite are those QB's that I previously mentioned in the post you quoted. All the QB's I mentioned in this post are a tier below them.

I think all those guys are elite, except maybe Kirk, Kirk was playing elite fball this year, as we saw up close and personal. but Lamar Jackson > Kirk. Lamar was a unanimous NFL MVP and led the NFL in TD passes. He's one of the most greatest rush threats to ever play the position. all caps ELITE
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I defined elite, that's what's great about definitions, so we can have a convo, and not talk past each other, elite is between pro bowl and MVP level
elite isn't the 'ceiling' imo, you can be elite in your day, like Rich Gannon winning MVP, and not a HOFer.

It should make sense because no player is on equal footing with another. There is no finite ceiling that all these QB's reach. Montana is better than Young. They're both elite players. Elite just means a select group above the rest in a larger group.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

So you have one elite QB in the game today, You're defining elite differently than what's common in NFL discourse. That's fine, but it just becomes a semantical argument. I'd have the same group at the top of the NFL definitely minus Cousins.

That said, Allen can be one of the best QB's of all time and arguably has played like that for the better part of half a decade.

I just don't get this love for Allen. Doesn't he lead the league in TO's since coming in? Way too much Brett Favre in that guy, but I always felt he was overrated also.

josh allen has the biggest arm, that's about it lol

He has 85 turnovers in his first 5.5 seasons and a 4-4 playoff record with zero championships and zero SB rings. I am guessing you all have multiple tiers of eliteness? Elite litterally means best of the best.

Also, you can minus Cousins all you want but his career numbers are comparable to Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Jackson.
He has 85 turnovers in his first 5.5 seasons and a 4-4 playoff record with zero championships and zero SB rings. I am guessing you all have multiple tiers of eliteness? Elite litterally means best of the best.

Also, you can minus Cousins all you want but his career numbers are comparable to Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Jackson.

read this about what he did in the postseason, let me know if it's elite
or another question, let me know if Allen is the reason they failed to advance

from Wikipedia:

In the Wild Card Game against the Patriots, the Bills scored a touchdown on every offensive possession they had the ball aside from the final kneeldowns as they won 47–17, attaining the first "perfect offensive game" in NFL history. Allen completed 21 of 25 passes for 308 yards and five touchdowns in addition to rushing for 66 yards, passing for more touchdowns than incompletions during the game.[131][132] In the Divisional Round, Buffalo rematched against the Kansas City Chiefs, whom they previously lost to in last year's AFC Championship Game. During the final two minutes of the tightly contested game, Allen threw two go-ahead touchdowns to Gabe Davis as the Bills and Chiefs exchanged leads three times before Kansas City tied the game at 36 apiece and forced overtime. The Chiefs won 42–36 in the extra period after winning the coin toss and scoring on the opening drive as Allen and the Bills offense never touched the ball. Despite the loss, Allen kept pace with Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, completing 27 of 37 passes for 329 yards and four touchdowns, all to Davis.[133] He also rushed for 68 yards.[132] His postseason passer rating of 149.0 is the highest ever in a single postseason, breaking the previous record of 146.4 held by Joe Montana in 1989.[134]

Allen's ceiling and floor were on full display last night. In his case, his floor is what keeps him below elite status - poor processing and decision-making. Instead of layering in certain passes, he throws his fastball. Such was the case with the ball that went through Davis' hands for a pick. Yes, Davis should have caught it, however, there was no need to throw the ball that hard on that route. Allen is charged with an INT, deservedly so. He turned a nice gain into another turnover by his poor decision.

EDIT: Superior processing and decision-making is why Purdy continues to play at an elite level (when not concussed).
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 14, 2023 at 10:31 AM ]
Really enjoying all this talk about Purdy in here...
Share 49ersWebzone