There are 277 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Agreed.

Doesn't that tell you something about the stat(s) on its own?

The QB throws an easy swing pass or screen 1 yard ahead of where he released the ball, instead of 1 yard or two behind, and his TD percentage is nearly the same as it was last year with the same teammates.

Is it a demonstrably different play from the QB in either case? No.

Does the difference between the two throws, or really either of the two throws by themselves, indicate anything about the quality of the QB? No.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
But is there anything wrong with that? Are you saying we should give every position a "fair chance" to win the MVP? So what do you think is a reasonable stat for a punter to win the MVP?

I'm saying comp QBs vs other QBs, and pick the best, and non QBs vs non Qbs..
so when TJ Watt sets a sack record, or maybe a WR gets 2k yds, that guy should get NFL MVP honors,
to me a DE having a best sack total of all time, or a WR hitting a new threshold, is more impressive, than a QB having a best stats in a given year
yet the QB like Mahomes will always be more valuable, than the non QB, by virtue of the QB position having outsized importance..

so BP could win NFL MVP as it stands, cuz he's only going against a handful of ppl, look at the top QBs on winning contender teams, and go with the best stats.

But why stop at non QB vs non QB? Will OG and FB get "fair chances" to win non QB MVP award?

Technically, we already have the all pro team to recognize all the players at different positions.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Who the hell is the guy to the left of Minschew ending in er?
Originally posted by thl408:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

Lots of guys high on that chart take a lot of game losing sacks—including Fields. I think you should ignore the "Good, Bad, Boring, Risk-Takers" labels and instead focus on the axes and make your own judgement. Down is throwing more interceptable balls, right is making more amazing plays. Brock is high in both according to this chart. The quintessential gunslinger.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Ridder would be my guess.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
I agree when he makes a mistake he's thinking about what happened, what he saw and what he will do different. He will make mistakes but he makes throws that timid QBs won't. I would rather deal with mistakes then scared check downs for no gain. He will keep getting better and I can't belive people doubted him. I don't care about the picks in the Cincinnati game he will learn. Some of the passes he made in that game were amazing. Best QB we have had in a long long time and grateful to have him on the Niners.
This.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Ridder would be my guess.

Makes sense that they blotted his name out then.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
But is there anything wrong with that? Are you saying we should give every position a "fair chance" to win the MVP? So what do you think is a reasonable stat for a punter to win the MVP?

I'm saying comp QBs vs other QBs, and pick the best, and non QBs vs non Qbs..
so when TJ Watt sets a sack record, or maybe a WR gets 2k yds, that guy should get NFL MVP honors,
to me a DE having a best sack total of all time, or a WR hitting a new threshold, is more impressive, than a QB having a best stats in a given year
yet the QB like Mahomes will always be more valuable, than the non QB, by virtue of the QB position having outsized importance..

so BP could win NFL MVP as it stands, cuz he's only going against a handful of ppl, look at the top QBs on winning contender teams, and go with the best stats.

But why stop at non QB vs non QB? Will OG and FB get "fair chances" to win non QB MVP award?

Technically, we already have the all pro team to recognize all the players at different positions.

Are you done? First you say a punter and now you say a guard or a fullback? LOL

There will never be a circumstance where anyone who plays those positions could be the most valuable player in the league. Period.
Originally posted by thl408:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

Lots of guys high on that chart take a lot of game losing sacks—including Fields. I think you should ignore the "Good, Bad, Boring, Risk-Takers" labels and instead focus on the axes and make your own judgement. Down is throwing more interceptable balls, right is making more amazing plays. Brock is high in both according to this chart. The quintessential gunslinger.

Does actual turnovers count as turn over worthy plays? I would hope so but I have to question it with where Josh Allen is.

Is Purdy the only "Risk Taker" in the league lol
[ Edited by Shorteous on Nov 14, 2023 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

There will never be a circumstance where anyone who plays those positions could be the most valuable player in the league. Period.

Right and the reality is there will be very few circumstances where a QB isn't, especially in this current version of the NFL.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Right and the reality is there will be very few circumstances where a QB isn't, especially in this current version of the NFL.
then call it the MVQB award and create one for every position
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
then call it the MVQB award and create one for every position

Why… it's the most valuable player award.

As someone else mentioned there's other means to identify great players at other positions: OPOY, DPOY, All Pro teams. And it's not impossible for another position to win the MVP… just extremely unlikely. I honestly can't think of a major snub recently simply based on position.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 14, 2023 at 6:24 PM ]
Pulled this if X before last weeks game… make of it as you will

TWP % per PFF:
Josh Allen - 2.1%, 32nd in NFL
Brock Purdy - 5.1%, 6th in NFL

Bad throw % per PFR:

Allen - 10.9%, 28th in NFL
Purdy - 17.7%, 4th in NFL

On-tgt throw % per SIS:

Allen - 79.5%, 3rd in NFL
Purdy - 73.4%, 20th in NFL
Since the merger, I guess Brock Purdy has the ALL TIME RECORD with a minimum of 400 attempts in the following categories:

Passer rating
yards per attempt
td:int ratio
completion percentage

EVER! Passing Dan Marino and Kurt Warner.
you have got to be kidding me!

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FFFFFFFF
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Pulled this if X before last weeks game… make of it as you will

TWP % per PFF:
Josh Allen - 2.1%, 32nd in NFL
Brock Purdy - 5.1%, 6th in NFL

Bad throw % per PFR:

Allen - 10.9%, 28th in NFL
Purdy - 17.7%, 4th in NFL

On-tgt throw % per SIS:

Allen - 79.5%, 3rd in NFL
Purdy - 73.4%, 20th in NFL

This comparison is f**king bonkers outside of Niner land, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone