There are 293 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Agreed.

Doesn't that tell you something about the stat(s) on its own?

The QB throws an easy swing pass or screen 1 yard ahead of where he released the ball, instead of 1 yard or two behind, and his TD percentage is nearly the same as it was last year with the same teammates.

Is it a demonstrably different play from the QB in either case? No.

Does the difference between the two throws, or really either of the two throws by themselves, indicate anything about the quality of the QB? No.

But when discussing QB's in the mainstream where all anyone cares about his total yards and total TD's it does matter. Perception is everything when it comes voting for awards like MVP.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
But when discussing QB's in the mainstream where all anyone cares about his total yards and total TD's it does matter. Perception is everything when it comes voting for awards like MVP.

You have a point there but I really think it applies to fans moreso than any other group (like voting media).

They don't tend to get MVP wrong IMO. Obviously there are close calls but nobody is getting it based on inflated team influenced stats primarily.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
then call it the MVQB award and create one for every position

Why… it's the most valuable player award.

As someone else mentioned there's other means to identify great players at other positions: OPOY, DPOY, All Pro teams. And it's not impossible for another position to win the MVP… just extremely unlikely. I honestly can't think of a major snub recently simply based on position.
why, because only a QB is going to win it.. and that same QB should win the OPOY also
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Pulled this if X before last weeks game… make of it as you will

TWP % per PFF:
Josh Allen - 2.1%, 32nd in NFL
Brock Purdy - 5.1%, 6th in NFL

Bad throw % per PFR:

Allen - 10.9%, 28th in NFL
Purdy - 17.7%, 4th in NFL

On-tgt throw % per SIS:

Allen - 79.5%, 3rd in NFL
Purdy - 73.4%, 20th in NFL

I'm willing to bet that given the narrative about Josh Allen after last night that if some independent PFF analyst reviewed all Josh Allen's throws the TWP number would be higher.

lol quoted myself and not smokeyjoe
[ Edited by Shorteous on Nov 14, 2023 at 6:37 PM ]
why, because only a QB is going to win it.. and that same QB should win the OPOY also

Agree with the second part though that's generally not how it works in practice.

What I don't understand is why it's a problem that the most valuable player wins the most valuable player award. At least not to the level that there needs to be a second award.

Best argument for a new award would be how it relates to any defined contractual incentives… and even then it's not like these players' agents are stupid
MVPurdy
I'm willing to bet that given the narrative about Josh Allen after last night that if some independent PFF analyst reviewed all Josh Allen's throws the TWP number would be higher.

I mean who cares about narrative. Kneejerk reactions to a game or even a set of games shouldn't be important.

lets goooo

Agree with the second part though that's generally not how it works in practice.

What I don't understand is why it's a problem that the most valuable player wins the most valuable player award. At least not to the level that there needs to be a second award.

Best argument for a new award would be how it relates to any defined contractual incentives… and even then it's not like these players' agents are stupid
it is what is. but creating MVP by positions would create more exposure.. we got the top 100, why not add more awards.
it is what is. but creating MVP by positions would create more exposure.. we got the top 100, why not add more awards.

I guess I have no issue with that. We're awash with pointless NFL content anyway. I just think it's mostly covered with the all pro teams and the top 100 (which is pretty much a joke).
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM ]

Originally posted by Furlow:
Right. And now after a half season of elite QB play from Purdy, they are still on their knees for a guy like Allen with a two cent head who makes terrible decisions every game.

I was speaking for myself as I was grouped in your comment. I certainly don't think physical talent is all that matters, but I also understand how much situation can impact a QB's job.

Furlow cant compute this.

I mean who cares about narrative. Kneejerk reactions to a game or even a set of games shouldn't be important.

Agreed but anything subjective to that level will undoubtedly provide flawed results with people. Not knocking anyone at PFF just calling it subjective and thus unreliable for me.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

Lots of guys high on that chart take a lot of game losing sacks—including Fields. I think you should ignore the "Good, Bad, Boring, Risk-Takers" labels and instead focus on the axes and make your own judgement. Down is throwing more interceptable balls, right is making more amazing plays. Brock is high in both according to this chart. The quintessential gunslinger.

Does actual turnovers count as turn over worthy plays? I would hope so but I have to question it with where Josh Allen is.

Is Purdy the only "Risk Taker" in the league lol

Well the chart is percentages, so maybe Allen throws a lot of picks, but makes so many big boy throws that it puts him in the top right quadrant. It could also be he's not getting lots of dropped INTs or great plays from his WRs as well.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

lets goooo

Definitely r34 material there.
Agreed but anything subjective to that level will undoubtedly provide flawed results with people. Not knocking anyone at PFF just calling it subjective and thus unreliable for me.

I'm not a big fan of PFF either. I especially question the way they calculate TWP%, at least based on what I've seen in relation to their numbers.

At the same time I think it's credit worthy to attempt to measure what they think they're seeing. It's just not the end all be all, just like regular stats.
Share 49ersWebzone