There are 279 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I'm not a big fan of PFF either. I especially question the way they calculate TWP%, at least based on what I've seen in relation to their numbers.

At the same time I think it's credit worthy to attempt to measure what they think they're seeing. It's just not the end all be all, just like regular stats.

Agreed again lol it's just another tool in the tool belt for evaluating what we all can and cannot consume on a weekly basis.
Here's one:

Below average pass protection and below average sack rate. That's the QB.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Is this chart saying Fields and Howell are better than Brock? It better not be.

Lots of guys high on that chart take a lot of game losing sacks—including Fields. I think you should ignore the "Good, Bad, Boring, Risk-Takers" labels and instead focus on the axes and make your own judgement. Down is throwing more interceptable balls, right is making more amazing plays. Brock is high in both according to this chart. The quintessential gunslinger.

Does actual turnovers count as turn over worthy plays? I would hope so but I have to question it with where Josh Allen is.

Is Purdy the only "Risk Taker" in the league lol

Well the chart is percentages, so maybe Allen throws a lot of picks, but makes so many big boy throws that it puts him in the top right quadrant. It could also be he's not getting lots of dropped INTs or great plays from his WRs as well.

Or perhaps the people determining these subjective statistics are full of s**t. I seem to remember the deep dime to Aiyuk being called a TWP by PFF even though BA was the only player even close to making a play on the ball.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Matt Ryan? Or are you only talking about KS with the 49ers.

You win this round, I stand corrected

Volume plays a role, so perhaps we can compromise, as while it's possible, it is not tremendously likely
Matt Ryan was a heck of a QB, going back to BC, Julio was something else also
you are correct tho, they didn't throw a lot, and Ryan won the MVP
heck maybe BP can do it

for a comp Ryan had near 5k yds.
3rd in yds, 2nd in TD, and 26th in pass attempts, that's pretty insane
BP would have to do something similar, near 5k pass yds, on minimal pass attempts, good luck

Ryan averaged 33 pass attempts per game. Brock is averaging 26. Ryan averaged 9.3 YPA which is damn near identical to Brock. But Ryan threw 38 TD passes that year and Brock is not on that pace so far this season. Brock would need to average almost 3 TD passes per game the rest of this season to reach that many.

I'm fine with Brock not being MVP. Good luck extending an MVP award winning QB to a contract that allows other parts of the team to remain intact.

Thl, this is an interesting point because where does one draw the line on this issue…one star RB gone, eg, CMC, or loss of your best OL (#71, eg), or what else. Yet when you look back over the last 8 yrs, when we have been close or as here in the NFCCG in 3 of last 4 yrs, only to be done in by injury at the very end of season or in playoffs… how does one decide , "well, he lost his top LT, and best Wide-back, and he couldn't win" so he can't be MVP.?

For a ball handler to win MVP he has to be truly outstanding, but he has to be surrounded by other talent. For a D player to win MVP , he would have to have the stats, plus good heath for his team that goes to NFCCG / SB , which means he would also have to have been lucky in the health department, not only personally, but also same goes for remainder of team.

For really special guys, eg Lamar, he has to have a winning team, plus good health , plus the top flite stats. Also, he has to pass the eye test as we have seen of Lamar lately, and Myles all yr long.

So where would Brock have to be to be the MVP? Also it depends on the competition for MVP . Versus Lamar, Myles Garrett, Brock would have to show awesome stats to beat guys like that, which would have to include winning the SB…. Your point is a good one, but how exactly does one factor all that in?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thl, this is an interesting point because where does one draw the line on this issue…one star RB gone, eg, CMC, or loss of your best OL (#71, eg), or what else. Yet when you look back over the last 8 yrs, when we have been close or as here in the NFCCG in 3 of last 4 yrs, only to be done in by injury at the very end of season or in playoffs… how does one decide , "well, he lost his top LT, and best Wide-back, and he couldn't win" so he can't be MVP.?

For a ball handler to win MVP he has to be truly outstanding, but he has to be surrounded by other talent. For a D player to win MVP , he would have to have the stats, plus good heath for his team that goes to NFCCG / SB , which means he would also have to have been lucky in the health department, not only personally, but also same goes for remainder of team.

For really special guys, eg Lamar, he has to have a winning team, plus good health , plus the top flite stats. Also, he has to pass the eye test as we have seen of Lamar lately, and Myles all yr long.

So where would Brock have to be to be the MVP? Also it depends on the competition for MVP . Versus Lamar, Myles Garrett, Brock would have to show awesome stats to beat guys like that, which would have to include winning the SB…. Your point is a good one, but how exactly does one factor all that in?

For this season Brock missed his opportunity in those three losses to really inject himself into the conversation seriously. Maybe he'll have another opportunity in similar fashion later this season, though we don't actually want that as fans of the team.

Playoffs and Super Bowl do not factor in the award.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 14, 2023 at 7:18 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Matt Ryan? Or are you only talking about KS with the 49ers.

You win this round, I stand corrected

Volume plays a role, so perhaps we can compromise, as while it's possible, it is not tremendously likely
Matt Ryan was a heck of a QB, going back to BC, Julio was something else also
you are correct tho, they didn't throw a lot, and Ryan won the MVP
heck maybe BP can do it

for a comp Ryan had near 5k yds.
3rd in yds, 2nd in TD, and 26th in pass attempts, that's pretty insane
BP would have to do something similar, near 5k pass yds, on minimal pass attempts, good luck

Ryan averaged 33 pass attempts per game. Brock is averaging 26. Ryan averaged 9.3 YPA which is damn near identical to Brock. But Ryan threw 38 TD passes that year and Brock is not on that pace so far this season. Brock would need to average almost 3 TD passes per game the rest of this season to reach that many.

I'm fine with Brock not being MVP. Good luck extending an MVP award winning QB to a contract that allows other parts of the team to remain intact.

Brock would need to maintain, relatively, his current stats.

He would also need to have 3 to 4 game winning drives, some of which need to be in prime time. If we just steam roll teams on prime time and he keeps his stat trajectory, IMO he has no chance.
The fact he's even in the conversation is pretty insane. I think a lot of the big name QBs have all struggled to some degree or another this year, which makes it a closer race to the MVP than maybe years past at this juncture. Don't really care about MVP unless it's a Super Bowl MVP.
Originally posted by Chance:

Lots of guys high on that chart take a lot of game losing sacks—including Fields. I think you should ignore the "Good, Bad, Boring, Risk-Takers" labels and instead focus on the axes and make your own judgement. Down is throwing more interceptable balls, right is making more amazing plays. Brock is high in both according to this chart. The quintessential gunslinger.

Does actual turnovers count as turn over worthy plays? I would hope so but I have to question it with where Josh Allen is.

Well the chart is percentages, so maybe Allen throws a lot of picks, but makes so many big boy throws that it puts him in the top right quadrant. It could also be he's not getting lots of dropped INTs or great plays from his WRs as well.

Or perhaps the people determining these subjective statistics are full of s**t. I seem to remember the deep dime to Aiyuk being called a TWP by PFF even though BA was the only player even close to making a play on the ball.

I'm not the hugest fan of those stats because of their inherent subjectivity and nebulous definitions, but if you're going to use them, that's what the chart seems designed to showcase.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Are you done? First you say a punter and now you say a guard or a fullback? LOL

There will never be a circumstance where anyone who plays those positions could be the most valuable player in the league. Period.

Right and the reality is there will be very few circumstances where a QB isn't, especially in this current version of the NFL.

That is exactly my point. And I don't believe we need any chances to the awards

Don't know why Steve Wallaces was so rude.

Not necessarily. For example, if the QB throws a perfect pass and it goes through the WR's hands and gets picked, it won't go down as a TWP for the QB.

DARN media's now using may given B-ROCK STEADY PURDY nickname !!!
Originally posted by RonMexico:

lets goooo

Lolol this image haha

99 bottles of beer on the wall...99 bottles of beer 🎶
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by RonMexico:

lets goooo

Lolol this image haha

99 bottles of beer on the wall...99 bottles of beer 🎶

Where's the corn dog?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Where's the corn dog?

You're right

Lol

Or celery sticks from Buffalo Wild Wings

[ Edited by Montana on Nov 14, 2023 at 11:16 PM ]
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Here's a stat I like: Brock 15TD's 5Ints and 6wins and 3Losses. 76.4 QBR.
Share 49ersWebzone