There are 403 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
His zip has looked better as the year has gone on, IMO. He made some really nice throws against the jags. That week off probably helped "freshen" up his arm too.

i also think he had an undisclosed injury in that three game stretch - he was uncharacteristicly inaccurate. When I see wild swings like that in a QBs game, it usually has to do with an injury that they don't want to admit to. Brock is like that and will hide stuff and try to play through it
Yeah, BP is tough as hell and tries to play through stuff I think too. I also think he should have taken that prime time game off for extra time after the concussion. One game with Sam isn't a big deal..I figured it was leaning on a loss anyway..we just weren't healthy. He *did not* need for his head to get smacked on the ground again after the concussion. He seemed to be holding his head after..he felt it, ugh.

He was defo playing uncharacteristically...again, I think it was the arm getting irritated and his head was banged up. Idk. Losing key players..Moody being moody..defense taking a dump..may have affected him mentally some too idk. Every qb is going to have highs and lows though, to be expected.

We needed a bye pretty badly I think! Lol
[ Edited by Montana on Nov 15, 2023 at 3:31 PM ]
That's my quarterback.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
That's my quarterback.

he's a real one, and Kirk is a pretty darn good WR
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brock has 5 INT's 9 games. That's nothing.

He's been very good. The only knock on him at this point is he faltered and had those five ints in a stretch of games where the run game was non existent and the defense was struggling, requiring us to put up points almost exclusively through the passing game. Basically he had to be the elite QB we all hope he can become, and IMO it's reasonable to expect bumps in the road when that's his responsibility given how inexperienced he is… and also the fact that that type of offense is not our coach's strength. We have a great offense overall, maybe the best in the league, but not isolating for drop back passing.

I'd love to know what evidence you're basing that claim off of.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

He's been very good. The only knock on him at this point is he faltered and had those five ints in a stretch of games where the run game was non existent and the defense was struggling, requiring us to put up points almost exclusively through the passing game. Basically he had to be the elite QB we all hope he can become, and IMO it's reasonable to expect bumps in the road when that's his responsibility given how inexperienced he is… and also the fact that that type of offense is not our coach's strength. We have a great offense overall, maybe the best in the league, but not isolating for drop back passing.

they literally said it near verbatim in the TV broadcast last week
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
That's my quarterback.

He is classy

Years of watching Shanahan's offense over multiple franchises, in conjunction with analysis from former players and analysts who do the same.

Shanahan's pass game excels off of playaction and the run game. There's nobody better there.

Years of watching Shanahan's offense over multiple franchises, in conjunction with analysis from former players and analysts who do the same.

Shanahan's pass game excels off of playaction and the run game. There's nobody better there.

I thought we all knew this by now, but perhaps folks merely enjoy stirring the pot, so to speak
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Oh, I thought there was some actual evidence or a real credible source. I didn't realize it was just a regurgitated sound bite.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
The issues in his breakdown of Trey were explained ad nauseum.

This is the Brock thread, so I don't want to get into it here.

It's just crazy to me how often you call out others and how inconsistent you are yourself. Next level hypocrisy.

let's discuss ball, not ad homs, which you do frequently, I'm talking ball and MM who was on the nose about Lance, and likely about BP tho I haven't viewed his BP take yet

I don't think you'd agree with MM take on Brock since he seems to think Brock played much better than okay last weekend and sounds like he views him much higher than 22nd in the league at the position, which seemed to be a place in the rankings you were okay with. Unless you've changed your tune.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

We also have 16 years of Kyle's coaching career as evidence that straight drop back passing is not his forte. This isn't debatable lol.
Oh, I thought there was some actual evidence or a real credible source. I didn't realize it was just a regurgitated sound bite.

The evidence would be observing his dropback offense and route concepts over multiple years.

Do you consider JTO a credible source? He references it in basically any and every video where he's breaking down a 49ers QB. Those videos are easy access for someone who doesn't want to do their own work or wants to supplement it. There are many others as well.
Originally posted by Chance:
I don't think you'd agree with MM take on Brock since he seems to think Brock played much better than okay last weekend and sounds like he views him much higher than 22nd in the league at the position, which seemed to be a place in the rankings you were okay with. Unless you've changed your tune.

trying to be critical, and not just black or white, there are grays in football
in fairness, I said he did ok / good, nothing wrong with good, I think our D did better than the O,
D was great

ppl say why wasn't he elite vs JAX, imo, if your HC is saying that's the worst ball or decision of your time, maybe that means it's less than elite
also ate losses on two pretty clear blitzes, now maybe KS isn't giving him a hot option, but still ball out away at least, to avoid a negative play

this is my attempt of not getting too high or low, but just talking what I observe
Originally posted by Chance:

trying to be critical, and not just black or white, there are grays in football
in fairness, I said he did ok / good, nothing wrong with good, I think our D did better than the O,
D was great

ppl say why wasn't he elite vs JAX, imo, if your HC is saying that's the worst ball or decision of your time, maybe that means it's less than elite
also ate losses on two pretty clear blitzes, now maybe KS isn't giving him a hot option, but still ball out away at least, to avoid a negative play

this is my attempt of not getting too high or low, but just talking what I observe

One pass play where his decision making was arguable, does not turn this game from exceptional to okay. If that's the case, then every elite QB who was less than perfect in a game was just okay then, no matter the size of the mistake or whatever else they did in the game. I don't know how a reasonable person could have watched the preponderance of high-level throws than Purdy made in that game, and just be about okay to good on it. You may want to recalibrate your expectations.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
On the parts related to passing, yes. He was right about Not on his athleticism part. I'm sorry, but Lance is more mobile than the common fullback.

This stuff:

Originally posted by Mike Martz
He's not a great passer. Doesn't have good skills. takes him a long time to set himself and throw the football.
Yeah, that's accurate. He's got a slow motion from start to finish (he cleaned that up a bit but it's still not where it needs to be). I can't say that is wrong because I literally said the same stuff: he doesn't know how to pass and his total passing motion is slower than a taking a crap after eating a gallon of cheese.

And this stuff:
Originally posted by Mike Martz
The speed of the game, handling information and retaining it, and then being able to apply it on the field instantly -- like Purdy does -- it's just not there for Lance.

It's the hardest thing to do for a quarterback in the NFL. And then how calm is he under the gun? Some guys just aren't able to do it, they buckle under pressure, even with good players around them.

That's what I see in Lance.

Yeah, he's right in that respect, too. The speed of the game was a big part of BOTH Lance's issues with passing and running, in that he wasn't processing it fast enough.

And, again, as I myself repeatedly said, his total throwing motion (from starting his feet to the final release) is slower than molasses in January.

But if Martz actually said Lance has the athletic ability of the common fullback, I have to say I disagree. I've posted clips here several times of him juking people behind the line, and juking a safety. Maybe the likes of Juice can do that, but not the average fullback.

EDIT: Brock Purdy.

Here is my thing, 5GR....

Yes, Trey Lance had problems processing what he sees quickly enough. But you know who else does? Almost every rookie QB who has ever played the game. One of the biggest things for rookies to really establish themselves as NFL players is to get to the point where the game slows down for them. Trey didnt play enough for the game to slow down for him, but thats not even the point.

The point is, that is the same analysis that he gives to every running QB that has ever come out of college. He follows a script. Even if we are to put aside the fact that you could say that almost every QB is a slow processer when they first get NFL playing time, he literally only says it if the QB fits the mold of a QB he doesnt like. He said it about Trey Lance, about Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, etc. Doesnt matter who the QB who can run is. He says the same thing. He didnt say that about Burrow, Lawrence, Zack Wilson, etc., when it absolutely can be said about almost anyone.

Not everyone is Brock Purdy!
Share 49ersWebzone