There are 475 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Here is my thing, 5GR....

Yes, Trey Lance had problems processing what he sees quickly enough. But you know who else does? Almost every rookie QB who has ever played the game. One of the biggest things for rookies to really establish themselves as NFL players is to get to the point where the game slows down for them. Trey didnt play enough for the game to slow down for him, but thats not even the point.

The point is, that is the same analysis that he gives to every running QB that has ever come out of college. He follows a script. Even if we are to put aside the fact that you could say that almost every QB is a slow processer when they first get NFL playing time, he literally only says it if the QB fits the mold of a QB he doesnt like. He said it about Trey Lance, about Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, etc. Doesnt matter who the QB who can run is. He says the same thing. He didnt say that about Burrow, Lawrence, Zack Wilson, etc., when it absolutely can be said about almost anyone.

Not everyone is Brock Purdy!

This is just too much of a general comment. While every young QB has a learning curve when it comes to game speed and processing, most young QB's can hit an open primary read consistently… just as a most basic example. Trey was absolutely horrible in this area in comparison to the average young player, not even isolating for top prospects. He could not consistently execute gimmie plays that nearly any qb would hit at the nfl level.

Yes, Trey Lance had problems processing what he sees quickly enough. But you know who else does? Almost every rookie QB who has ever played the game. One of the biggest things for rookies to really establish themselves as NFL players is to get to the point where the game slows down for them. Trey didnt play enough for the game to slow down for him, but thats not even the point.

The point is, that is the same analysis that he gives to every running QB that has ever come out of college. He follows a script. Even if we are to put aside the fact that you could say that almost every QB is a slow processer when they first get NFL playing time, he literally only says it if the QB fits the mold of a QB he doesnt like. He said it about Trey Lance, about Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, etc. Doesnt matter who the QB who can run is. He says the same thing. He didnt say that about Burrow, Lawrence, Zack Wilson, etc., when it absolutely can be said about almost anyone.

the analysis he did was of a year 2 TL, the TL given maybe 18 or so months to start,
we gave TL a NFL version of a redshirt, so he can be functional

so your opening of rooks struggling, whiffs.. he wasn't even talking or reviewing rook TL, it was year 2 TL

now I agree, BP is just balling day 1 of playing in the league, it was pretty stunning..
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Chance:
I don't think you'd agree with MM take on Brock since he seems to think Brock played much better than okay last weekend and sounds like he views him much higher than 22nd in the league at the position, which seemed to be a place in the rankings you were okay with. Unless you've changed your tune.

trying to be critical, and not just black or white, there are grays in football
in fairness, I said he did ok / good, nothing wrong with good, I think our D did better than the O,
D was great

ppl say why wasn't he elite vs JAX, imo, if your HC is saying that's the worst ball or decision of your time, maybe that means it's less than elite
also ate losses on two pretty clear blitzes, now maybe KS isn't giving him a hot option, but still ball out away at least, to avoid a negative play

this is my attempt of not getting too high or low, but just talking what I observe

The first sentence of this post is why few people take you seriously on this board.

I cant tell you how many times in the past that someone tried to tell you something similar about Jimmy, and you just werent having it. Your opinions change from QB to QB, thread to thread. You arent fooling anyone.

Brock was amazing against Jacksonville. Calling him ok/good is comically stupid. I could only imagine if Jimmy had a game like that and someone told you the game was just ok....how you would react to that.

the analysis he did was of a year 2 TL, the TL given maybe 18 or so months to start,
we gave TL a NFL version of a redshirt, so he can be functional

so your opening of rooks struggling, whiffs.. he wasn't even talking or reviewing rook TL, it was year 2 TL

now I agree, BP is just balling day 1 of playing in the league, it was pretty stunning..

Did not read. I was talking to 5GR. This was explained ad nauseam to you by multiple posters and you refused to listen.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

This is just too much of a general comment. While every young QB has a learning curve when it comes to game speed and processing, most young QB's can hit an open primary read consistently… just as a most basic example. Trey was absolutely horrible in this area in comparison to the average young player, not even isolating for top prospects. He could not consistently execute gimmie plays that nearly any qb would hit at the nfl level.

The point is, Martz would never make this comment to anyone other than a running QB. Its almost as if he followed a script. And he has never ever changed his tune about anyone. He made a comment about Lamar Jackson before the draft that basically said he couldnt process defenses to be an NFL QB. Lamar has won an MVP, and then he says this just a few months ago:

"I don't know how good (at) processing things and that's the key, how quick you can process, read and react,"

Like I said, Martz' opinions can be taken with a grain of salt. I dont care who he is talking about.
The point is, Martz would never make this comment to anyone other than a running QB. Its almost as if he followed a script. And he has never ever changed his tune about anyone. He made a comment about Lamar Jackson before the draft that basically said he couldnt process defenses to be an NFL QB. Lamar has won an MVP, and then he says this just a few months ago:

"I don't know how good (at) processing things and that's the key, how quick you can process, read and react,"

Like I said, Martz' opinions can be taken with a grain of salt. I dont care who he is talking about.

I don't really care to defend Martz in this fashion. He certainly wasn't alone in his comments about Lamar, and I would agree with an analyst who questions just how good Lamar can be as a pure passer especially when the chips are down. There's no doubt he wasn't as bad as some of the concerns coming out and has gotten better.

Martz' comments were right about Lance, as simplistic as they were IMO. I can't speak as much to the pattern you are describing… maybe it's real. Either way, I try to address arguments on their merit and pattern or not, it fit in this case.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
On the parts related to passing, yes. He was right about Not on his athleticism part. I'm sorry, but Lance is more mobile than the common fullback.

This stuff:

Originally posted by Mike Martz
He's not a great passer. Doesn't have good skills. takes him a long time to set himself and throw the football.
Yeah, that's accurate. He's got a slow motion from start to finish (he cleaned that up a bit but it's still not where it needs to be). I can't say that is wrong because I literally said the same stuff: he doesn't know how to pass and his total passing motion is slower than a taking a crap after eating a gallon of cheese.

And this stuff:
Originally posted by Mike Martz
The speed of the game, handling information and retaining it, and then being able to apply it on the field instantly -- like Purdy does -- it's just not there for Lance.

It's the hardest thing to do for a quarterback in the NFL. And then how calm is he under the gun? Some guys just aren't able to do it, they buckle under pressure, even with good players around them.

That's what I see in Lance.

Yeah, he's right in that respect, too. The speed of the game was a big part of BOTH Lance's issues with passing and running, in that he wasn't processing it fast enough.

And, again, as I myself repeatedly said, his total throwing motion (from starting his feet to the final release) is slower than molasses in January.

But if Martz actually said Lance has the athletic ability of the common fullback, I have to say I disagree. I've posted clips here several times of him juking people behind the line, and juking a safety. Maybe the likes of Juice can do that, but not the average fullback.

EDIT: Brock Purdy.

I'm not saying that Trey is inherently doomed. And I also argued that now that he improved his mechanics and accuracy, NOW was the time to learn NFL defenses to improve that mental side of it. I still think he could be a good QB. But the issue with Trey is that he was coming from weaker competition in college, so the speed and complexity of the NFL is even more of a shock, which is why he really, really needed the reps.

IMHO, all he needs now is reps. He's got the throwing the ball thing figured out (if he continues working with Christensen). But he wasn't going to get reps here, and he's not going to get reps in Dallas either. He needs to hit free agency and sign with a team that doesn't have the QB position figured out, beat out someone who is trash, and learn on the job. If he gets a year to do that, I think he will rescue his career.

EDIT: Brock Purdy.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Nov 15, 2023 at 4:31 PM ]

To be fair regarding that, however, QBs who are not super mobile have to get better at the mental side of it, or the throwing side or both. Because if they don't, they fail. While on the other hand, mobile QBs can rely on that.

However, Trey is more of a tweener. He's in the middle of the two extremes. What he needs, as it has always been, is reps.

Edit: Brock Purdy.
Martz likes a pocket QB. Not a running QB. It's not rocket science. That's his type and that's fine. Lamar doesn't process that well BTW. He makes a lot of plays running and buying time running. But stand in the pocket and just process all day is not Lamar.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Martz likes a pocket QB. Not a running QB. It's not rocket science. That's his type and that's fine. Lamar doesn't process that well BTW. He makes a lot of plays running and buying time running. But stand in the pocket and just process all day is not Lamar.

I think he's probably better at it than you think. He's definitely better than just being an elite runner. Good enough to win big games against a good defense in a playoff setting, or something along those lines… maybe not. It hasn't been the case to this point but we'll see going forward.

Originally posted by libertyforever:
Are you done? First you say a punter and now you say a guard or a fullback? LOL

There will never be a circumstance where anyone who plays those positions could be the most valuable player in the league. Period.

Right and the reality is there will be very few circumstances where a QB isn't, especially in this current version of the NFL.

That is exactly my point. And I don't believe we need any chances to the awards

Don't know why Steve Wallaces was so rude.

I am sorry if it came off as rude, but we were talking about the MVP award and you brought up a punter. Cmon man.

I was talking about why MVP is MVP. The current awards are fine, and why it doesn't make sense to have a non-QB MVP award.

If you didn't get it, it is fine. Not everyone gets it. Hopefully you are done. LOL.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Brock has 5 INT's 9 games. That's nothing.

He's been very good. The only knock on him at this point is he faltered and had those five ints in a stretch of games where the run game was non existent and the defense was struggling, requiring us to put up points almost exclusively through the passing game. Basically he had to be the elite QB we all hope he can become, and IMO it's reasonable to expect bumps in the road when that's his responsibility given how inexperienced he is… and also the fact that that type of offense is not our coach's strength. We have a great offense overall, maybe the best in the league, but not isolating for drop back passing.

you often nail it 100%,
I agree

I was going to say the same. Spot on.
Originally posted by Chance:
I don't think you'd agree with MM take on Brock since he seems to think Brock played much better than okay last weekend and sounds like he views him much higher than 22nd in the league at the position, which seemed to be a place in the rankings you were okay with. Unless you've changed your tune.

trying to be critical, and not just black or white, there are grays in football
in fairness, I said he did ok / good, nothing wrong with good, I think our D did better than the O,
D was great

ppl say why wasn't he elite vs JAX, imo, if your HC is saying that's the worst ball or decision of your time, maybe that means it's less than elite
also ate losses on two pretty clear blitzes, now maybe KS isn't giving him a hot option, but still ball out away at least, to avoid a negative play

this is my attempt of not getting too high or low, but just talking what I observe

The first sentence of this post is why few people take you seriously on this board.

I cant tell you how many times in the past that someone tried to tell you something similar about Jimmy, and you just werent having it. Your opinions change from QB to QB, thread to thread. You arent fooling anyone.

Brock was amazing against Jacksonville. Calling him ok/good is comically stupid. I could only imagine if Jimmy had a game like that and someone told you the game was just ok....how you would react to that.

I agree wth your point....He played a great game not good, great, 148.9 QBR says it all. He was 19 of 26 and 3TDs no INTs. Farve threw bad decisions into touchdowns as well. Brock is the best QB we have had in God knows how long.

I can find fault with the O line minus TW. Just think how good Brock would be if the line was over the top, like in the old days (1980s and 90s).
That's a pretty cool stat
Originally posted by bassmanr:
I agree wth your point....He played a great game not good, great, 148.9 QBR says it all. He was 19 of 26 and 3TDs no INTs. Farve threw bad decisions into touchdowns as well. Brock is the best QB we have had in God knows how long.

I can find fault with the O line minus TW. Just think how good Brock would be if the line was over the top, like in the old days (1980s and 90s).

O line wasn't special in 90s.
Share 49ersWebzone