LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 137 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel like fans outside the 49ers can't seem to fathom how a QB without great size and a rocket arm can be this successful. So their immediate conclusion is -- he can't, it has to be everyone else around him. Purdy also still moved the ball without Deebo and Trent, we just were in bad spots playing from behind and unfortunately he forced a few things as a 2nd year guy.

None of it makes any sense though. Not the size size, the arm stuff, or the weapons stuff.

Every QB needs at least one weapon. We saw how Mahomes was without Kelce. Hurts has Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, and weapons all over the field on offense. Dak has weapons everywhere. Tua has weapons everywhere. So does Lamar and Burrow. I mean shoot, the Bengals probably have best WR trio in the NFL. I don't think there's a single QB in the top 15 that are out there playing with scrubs across the board at WR/TE/RB.

However, Brock is playing with average OL outside of Trent. Dude is special. On another note, I do think Stroud looks like a real special talent too, over there in Houston.

It's really no different in general when it comes to any fanbase and their viewpoints towards other teams. Purdy is just a glaring example given his draft status and NFL success, and people get off on tearing down players put on pedestals. Had he been a top 10 pick, there wouldn't be anywhere near the negative discussions.
Brock seems elite in his mental read of the pre and post snap. Similar to Kurt Warner. Greg Cosell called it quick twitch mentally. Brock and CJ Stroud blowing up the norm at qb play.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Brock seems elite in his mental read of the pre and post snap. Similar to Kurt Warner. Greg Cosell called it quick twitch mentally. Brock and CJ Stroud blowing up the norm at qb play.

Stroud a lil more surprising tbh, I didn't see HOU cooking this soon, thought that was a multi year project to get the talent they need to succeed
i need to watch more Stroud, see what is going on there
  • thl408
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
I feel like fans outside the 49ers can't seem to fathom how a QB without great size and a rocket arm can be this successful. So their immediate conclusion is -- he can't, it has to be everyone else around him. Purdy also still moved the ball without Deebo and Trent, we just were in bad spots playing from behind and unfortunately he forced a few things as a 2nd year guy.

None of it makes any sense though. Not the size size, the arm stuff, or the weapons stuff.

Every QB needs at least one weapon. We saw how Mahomes was without Kelce. Hurts has Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, and weapons all over the field on offense. Dak has weapons everywhere. Tua has weapons everywhere. So does Lamar and Burrow. I mean shoot, the Bengals probably have best WR trio in the NFL. I don't think there's a single QB in the top 15 that are out there playing with scrubs across the board at WR/TE/RB.

However, Brock is playing with average OL outside of Trent. Dude is special. On another note, I do think Stroud looks like a real special talent too, over there in Houston.

It's really no different in general when it comes to any fanbase and their viewpoints towards other teams. Purdy is just a glaring example given his draft status and NFL success, and people get off on tearing down players put on pedestals. Had he been a top 10 pick, there wouldn't be anywhere near the negative discussions.

It's weird to me because I thought media "analysts" would want him to succeed since it'd be a great story. If anything, I thought they would overestimate him, not continue to try to discredit him. I feel like his story should still be in the honeymoon phase - Mr. Irrelevant is balling! But it's more often the opposite of that.

A lot of it's draft status. He's similar in size and playing style to Drew Brees. Even 1 inch taller. He's fine for size. His processing, reads and progressions, throwing with timing and anticipation and throwing accuracy remind me of Brees. He's a little more athletic moving around. He's not really that tiny. It's ridiculous. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson are 5'10". He's 6'1" 215 - 220 lbs. He's listed at 220 lbs. but may have lost a few from that. Anyway he's pretty sturdy and strong for his size. Look at his legs. He's very strong. In some ways because he has strong, stocky legs it actually makes him look shorter on TV and film. Because the proportions are different from normal. The same thing happens with Hurts by appearance. He's not that strong but his legs are strong and he has a stocky build for a QB. Even his arms are a little stocky for his size. He has enough strength.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

A lot of it's draft status. He's similar in size and playing style to Drew Brees. Even 1 inch taller. He's fine for size. His processing, reads and progressions, throwing with timing and anticipation and throwing accuracy remind me of Brees. He's a little more athletic moving around. He's not really that tiny. It's ridiculous. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson are 5'10". He's 6'1" 215 - 220 lbs. He's listed at 220 lbs. but may have lost a few from that. Anyway he's pretty sturdy and strong for his size. Look at his legs. He's very strong. In some ways because he has strong, stocky legs it actually makes him look shorter on TV and film. Because the proportions are different from normal. The same thing happens with Hurts by appearance. He's not that strong but his legs are strong and he has a stocky build for a QB. Even his arms are a little stocky for his size. He has enough strength.

I agree it's the draft status. People don't think it's possible for a 7th round guy to be doing what he's doing without it being everyone else.

Like you said, you have a lot of "short" QBs in the NFL right now. Murray, Wilson, Tua, Bryce Young, Sam Howell, etc.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I hope Brock makes the pro bowl this year. If he continues what he is doing, I don't see any reason why he won't, but you know he gets a lot of hate and claimed to be carried by the media.

i personally dont care what the media says, I just know it plays a factor in pro bowl/awards. I'd love to finally have a pro bowl QB. 😍

I don't. I hope Purdy misses out on the ProBowl because he is preparing to play in another game.

I agree it's the draft status. People don't think it's possible for a 7th round guy to be doing what he's doing without it being everyone else.

Like you said, you have a lot of "short" QBs in the NFL right now. Murray, Wilson, Tua, Bryce Young, Sam Howell, etc.

Yeah he's taller than a lot of those. But there is something to the stocky thing. That his proportions look slightly out of normal scale and it makes him appear shorter on TV or tape than he actually is. I actually like that he is strong and stocky for his size and think it helps him. I don't want him to change and get too skinny. That's his best football build.
Originally posted by thl408:
It's weird to me because I thought media "analysts" would want him to succeed since it'd be a great story. If anything, I thought they would overestimate him, not continue to try to discredit him. I feel like his story should still be in the honeymoon phase - Mr. Irrelevant is balling! But it's more often the opposite of that.

The media who have no axe to grind or no agenda probably see it that way. I know the league and Goodell wanted "Mr. Irrelevant" in the SB last year because of the great storyline. Unfortunately, the 'media' consists of mostly ex-players who insist on screaming the loudest to make their point (largely hyping up their former teams) or mouth pieces who start online infernos with their 'hot takes.'

To me, the biggest part is Kyle.

Fans around the league know what Matt Ryan looked like with Kyle, and without.

Now that Jimmy G struggled in Vegas, fans around the league probably think Purdy's success is only due to Kyle.

But unlike Jimmy, Purdy makes plays outside of structure. Which is why I believe he's a start for many teams and have success.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Now that Jimmy G struggled in Vegas, fans around the league probably think Purdy's success is only due to Kyle.

But unlike Jimmy, Purdy makes plays outside of structure. Which is why I believe he's a start for many teams and have success.

IMO he's a very good player. People under estimate him. It's not just Kyle. Ryan I think was older and more injured and the team more depleted when he was falling down lower. So I think there were other factors there.

Matt Ryan was a darn good QB, coming out of Boston College
We can recall ATL torching us to start that NFCCG, he was making insane throws
course he had some real WR talent also
hard to say KS made Ryan, now KS maybe took it up a notch
JG, that's the JG thread, so neither here nor there..
it's all the variables, ppl want to say it's BP or it's KS or it's the talent, it's all of it

I mean I think it's partially bock and a lot of kyle and this elite roster.

No I don't think Brock would be Brock in Chicago or NY. I think that goes for a lot of good QBs in the league.

I knew a lot of those turn-over-worthy throws from last yr would actually become INTs this yr. That's just statistics and the law of avgs.

Brock has a lot of traits to be damn good here and end of the day that's all that matters. I do think a lot of QBs could be successful here too. More than happy with Brock at this point.
Originally posted by Chance:
I've been pleasantly surprised with Brock's arm strength. I think, especially after the injury, and the time it takes to ramp the strength back up, that he's made some really high level throws to the sideline and down the field. Of course no one would mistake his arm for a canon, but it's far from a handicap. It sounds like whatever work he did prior to the draft to add more velocity has carried through to his early career.

I never really questioned his arm strength but I was slightly concerned how it would look Post UCL tear. I felt confident that it would be fine but still there was a risk.

i think his arm looks really good, I like the zip. May have more zip than last year. His deep ball accuracy has been one of the best in the league - I think rn it's #1 in completion percentage and that's with two drops. I read that if those two drops are excluded, his completion percentage on throws over 20 yards would be like 72-73%, incredible.
Originally posted by thl408:

Meh most analysts are dumb af and Idk why they get paid lol. It's still in the honeymoon phase for me . But if ppl wanna discredit..may just fuel the fire for BP. Paraphrasing but I think Rodgers said, something like, 'I hope they do underestimate him some, because it keeps the chip on the shoulders' or something. BP has already gotten the praises of Marino, Montana, Young, Rodgers, Brady and other great players..I will go ahead and agree with those guys.
Share 49ersWebzone