LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 300 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean I think it's partially bock and a lot of kyle and this elite roster.

No I don't think Brock would be Brock in Chicago or NY. I think that goes for a lot of good QBs in the league.

I knew a lot of those turn-over-worthy throws from last yr would actually become INTs this yr. That's just statistics and the law of avgs.

Brock has a lot of traits to be damn good here and end of the day that's all that matters. I do think a lot of QBs could be successful here too. More than happy with Brock at this point.

notice NY taking a victory lap on something that hasn't even come to fruition

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean I think it's partially bock and a lot of kyle and this elite roster.

No I don't think Brock would be Brock in Chicago or NY. I think that goes for a lot of good QBs in the league.

I knew a lot of those turn-over-worthy throws from last yr would actually become INTs this yr. That's just statistics and the law of avgs.

Brock has a lot of traits to be damn good here and end of the day that's all that matters. I do think a lot of QBs could be successful here too. More than happy with Brock at this point.

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

He's always trying to knock Brock. How is Trey doing? LOL.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel like fans outside the 49ers can't seem to fathom how a QB without great size and a rocket arm can be this successful. So their immediate conclusion is -- he can't, it has to be everyone else around him. Purdy also still moved the ball without Deebo and Trent, we just were in bad spots playing from behind and unfortunately he forced a few things as a 2nd year guy.

None of it makes any sense though. Not the size size, the arm stuff, or the weapons stuff.

Every QB needs at least one weapon. We saw how Mahomes was without Kelce. Hurts has Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, and weapons all over the field on offense. Dak has weapons everywhere. Tua has weapons everywhere. So does Lamar and Burrow. I mean shoot, the Bengals probably have best WR trio in the NFL. I don't think there's a single QB in the top 15 that are out there playing with scrubs across the board at WR/TE/RB.

However, Brock is playing with average OL outside of Trent. Dude is special. On another note, I do think Stroud looks like a real special talent too, over there in Houston.

It's really no different in general when it comes to any fanbase and their viewpoints towards other teams. Purdy is just a glaring example given his draft status and NFL success, and people get off on tearing down players put on pedestals. Had he been a top 10 pick, there wouldn't be anywhere near the negative discussions.

A lot of it's draft status. He's similar in size and playing style to Drew Brees. Even 1 inch taller. He's fine for size. His processing, reads and progressions, throwing with timing and anticipation and throwing accuracy remind me of Brees. He's a little more athletic moving around. He's not really that tiny. It's ridiculous. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson are 5'10". He's 6'1" 215 - 220 lbs. He's listed at 220 lbs. but may have lost a few from that. Anyway he's pretty sturdy and strong for his size. Look at his legs. He's very strong. In some ways because he has strong, stocky legs it actually makes him look shorter on TV and film. Because the proportions are different from normal. The same thing happens with Hurts by appearance. He's not that strong but his legs are strong and he has a stocky build for a QB. Even his arms are a little stocky for his size. He has enough strength.

To me, the biggest part is Kyle.

Fans around the league know what Matt Ryan looked like with Kyle, and without.

Now that Jimmy G struggled in Vegas, fans around the league probably think Purdy's success is only due to Kyle.

But unlike Jimmy, Purdy makes plays outside of structure. Which is why I believe he's a start for many teams and have success.

I think it is spot-on that it has a lot more to do with Kyle's history. Kyle has a history of taking mediocre QBs and making them look a lot better than they are. Looking at all of the QBs that have played significant time with Kyle and without him, their QB ratings all dropped significantly without him.

The most glaring examples being Matt Ryan and Jimmy. Matt Ryan's career QB rating is 91 and 102 in the two years with Kyle (117 in the MVP year). He only had one other year in his career with a QB rating higher than 100. Jimmy had nearly a 100 QB rating over 6 years with Kyle before reverting to what is likely his true level this year with the Raiders (76.2). Even Nick Mullens looked competent for a year under Kyle despite being a fringe third-stringer.

Whether Purdy is the exception to Kyle's history remains to be seen. He's probably the best of the QBs Kyle has ever coached, but I doubt he's getting the same results without Kyle or this team around him. He's not going to Houston and having the same success as CJ Stroud is this year or to Buffalo and doing more than Josh Allen, even if Allen is having a down year.

Even if he the exception, it's no surprise a lot of the media might be slow to recognize it after years of being harassed by deranged 49er fans who were convinced that Jimmy was a top-15 or even top-10 QB. A notion that felt absurd even then and only more absurd now.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Nov 17, 2023 at 11:35 AM ]
greg jennings said the niners would be undefeated if baker mayfield was the niners qb
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
greg jennings said the niners would be undefeated if baker mayfield was the niners qb

lol

CTE is a hell of an injury
Originally posted by Waterbear:
To me, the biggest part is Kyle.

Fans around the league know what Matt Ryan looked like with Kyle, and without.

Now that Jimmy G struggled in Vegas, fans around the league probably think Purdy's success is only due to Kyle.

But unlike Jimmy, Purdy makes plays outside of structure. Which is why I believe he's a start for many teams and have success.

Matt Ryan was a darn good QB, coming out of Boston College
We can recall ATL torching us to start that NFCCG, he was making insane throws
course he had some real WR talent also
hard to say KS made Ryan, now KS maybe took it up a notch
JG, that's the JG thread, so neither here nor there..
it's all the variables, ppl want to say it's BP or it's KS or it's the talent, it's all of it

It's not that Kyle made Ryan or Jimmy G, it's that they get a serious boost to their performance by playing under him.

I think Ryan was a pro bowl level player from the jump, but he became an MVP under Kyle, and I don't think it's possible he would have done that without him.

Brock is a little different than both Jimmy G and Matt Ryan, because he creates more than both of them combined IMO. That's why I don't think the same rules apply to Brock, although I do think he wouldn't be first in QBR or QB rating on an average team, but he would still be a top 15 QB.

Like I said before, Jimmy had seasons where his statistics warranted a pro bowl nod, top 5-10 in the NFL, but it was clear to me most of that production was due to scheme.

Brock is different to me. He's adding more to the offense, making more throws down the field, and not solely relying on YAC for most of his production.

he's just sharing his madden franchise results,
baker putting the team on his back!
I'm intrigued by the fact we went through ALL of our QBs last year, now this year the rest of the league is all losing their starters…
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I'm intrigued by the fact we went through ALL of our QBs last year, now this year the rest of the league is all losing their starters…

crazy man, very tough to win in this league, on QB2 or QB3. having a plan, for when a free rusher is on, having hot options, having that mentality of live to see a next down, and a whole lotta luck, that's the ticket, imo

crazy man, very tough to win in this league, on QB2 or QB3. having a plan, for when a free rusher is on, having hot options, having that mentality of live to see a next down, and a whole lotta luck, that's the ticket, imo

That or just taking the Brady approach and falling down when a defender is coming at them.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

It's still way early in the season to be saying that. Have we even had a starting QB play every game since Kaepernick?

That or just taking the Brady approach and falling down when a defender is coming at them.

If you can count on the flag why not...

I've noticed Brock is not getting the benefit of the doubt like mahomes does on roughing calls or forward passes. It's crap imo. Like on that stupid underhanded fling pass.

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

And of course here you are gravitating to one part of my comment to argue. Typical. Grrr NY being right about something I didn't agree with last yr

since when is 2.0 INT % good lol? Same % as Zach Wilson right now. Same passes that weren't getting INTed last yr did through that 3 game losing stretch. He's gotta be better in those situations, gotta be better when we're playing from behind (teams know we're throwing). He's gotta know it's okay to throw the ball away on those early downs too. He's smart and I expect him to learn from those mistakes the more he plays.

Don't you dare turn this into a b******t fest about me not liking Brock or whatever dumb excuse you always make to get off tack.

Daboll really showing that Coach of the Year ability with his 2nd and 3rd string QBs, too. Totally easy thing to do to win with your backup QBs like Shanahan did.
Share 49ersWebzone