LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 247 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Career interception percentage of 2.0 or lower would place a QB in the top 10 all time FYI.

It would be top 15 through effectively half a season this year.

Dude is dug in on his position because of Trey.
#3 is at 1.5% and Brock is in the middle at 2%.

M
E
H
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean I think it's partially bock and a lot of kyle and this elite roster.

No I don't think Brock would be Brock in Chicago or NY. I think that goes for a lot of good QBs in the league.

I knew a lot of those turn-over-worthy throws from last yr would actually become INTs this yr. That's just statistics and the law of avgs.

Brock has a lot of traits to be damn good here and end of the day that's all that matters. I do think a lot of QBs could be successful here too. More than happy with Brock at this point.

But they didn't and the statistics show they didn't.

You also claimed that Brock was destined to "regress to the mean of all NFL QBs".

The statistics are what prove you wrong in both cases.

You should be eating crow instead of pretending you were right.

He also said things like Brock played well for his draft position. He constantly used JAG QBs like Heinecke when talking Brock. He incrssintly questioned his arm strength. He also shared a video of every one of Brock's incompletions as evidence to support his claim that Brock was a turnover machine waiting to happen. Bad faith and bad takes, and Brock playing better than last year only proves that NY was wrong for many months. I still see him saying he's a product of his system and weapons. No, he is the last guy that should be taking a victory lap on BP.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
#3 is at 1.5% and Brock is in the middle at 2%.

M
E
H

dude had 0 picks up until week 6 and the only way his critics could take shots at him were "tuRNoVer WoRthY pLaYs"
I love Brock.
Originally posted by Chance:
He also said things like Brock played well for his draft position. He constantly used JAG QBs like Heinecke when talking Brock. He incrssintly questioned his arm strength. He also shared a video of every one of Brock's incompletions as evidence to support his claim that Brock was a turnover machine waiting to happen. Bad faith and bad takes, and Brock playing better than last year only proves that NY was wrong for many months. I still see him saying he's a product of his system and weapons. No, he is the last guy that should be taking a victory lap on BP.

I just think he has a philosophical belief that a QB has next to zero chance to be elite in today's NFL unless they have elite physical talent… and much of the arguments made were products of that belief, and probably also the idea that a team has to have an elite QB to win the SB.

That's why there was a seeming willingness to live with growing pains of one individual guy on our roster over another.

It's not that unique an argument, other than there was a lot of bad smaller arguments that were made as a part of the overall argument and an inability to see that the specific argument for Trey as a Niner was already over.

I just think he has a philosophical belief that a QB has next to zero chance to be elite in today's NFL unless they have elite physical talent… and much of the arguments made were products of that belief, and probably also the idea that a team has to have an elite QB to win the SB.

That's why there was a seeming willingness to live with growing pains of one individual guy on our roster over another.

It's not that unique an argument, other than there was a lot of bad smaller arguments that were made as a part of the overall argument and an inability to see that the specific argument for Trey as a Niner was already over.

brock's processing, anticipation, pocket awareness, accuracy, etc. allows him to be a top qb in this league without looking like josh allen. i don't know why that is so hard for fans to comprehend.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/11/16/23964008/brock-purdy-49ers-houston-texans-cj-stroud-nfl-stats

On the season, Purdy has 37 attempts behind the line of scrimmage. He's thrown the ball over 20 yards 30 times.

He's completed 20 of those 30 attempts, and two of those have been drops.

That 66 percent completion percentage is six points higher than the quarterback in second place. When you adjust for the drops, that number jumps to 73 percent. He's also thrown the second most touchdown passes over 20 yards and has the second-highest passer rating.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
brock's processing, anticipation, pocket awareness, accuracy, etc. allows him to be a top qb in this league without looking like josh allen. i don't know why that is so hard for fans to comprehend.

Probably because it's not as flashy or because those tools make everything easier.

Either way, I agree with you. If Brock can't become an elite QB it won't be because he doesn't have those tools in his belt.

I think this is a close to a fair summary(I wouldn't say no chance but he values tools more), and it describes my disagreement with NY on the subject as well. Maybe NY disagrees with that I'm not sure.

We talked about ceilings, and I didn't think Trey had a higher ceiling than Brock solely because he had more physical tools, your brain should be a factor in that. So while I'm still not 100% confident Brock has a higher ceiling, he's still the better option for this team and it's highly highly likely he does have the higher ceiling based off of his football intelligence.

Probably because it's not as flashy or because those tools make everything easier.

Either way, I agree with you. If Brock can't become an elite QB it won't be because he doesn't have those tools in his belt.

its funny too because josh allen's insane arm talent is what also gets him in trouble. he thinks he can fit in a 25 yard out pattern with two defenders lurking and he gets it picked off. purdy wouldn't even attempt that or he'd throw with anticipation.
its funny too because josh allen's insane arm talent is what also gets him in trouble. he thinks he can fit in a 25 yard out pattern with two defenders lurking and he gets it picked off. purdy wouldn't even attempt that or he'd throw with anticipation.

The one point I would make is that Josh Allen probably feels that he has to make those plays for his team to be successful and he overall has a much larger burden on his shoulders because the situation around him is considerably less favorable. Does that make his mistakes good? Not at all… but they are common for QBs who carry their offenses. They press more out of seeming necessity. His entire career with the Bills is comparable to Brock's position in those 3 games we lost.
The one point I would make is that Josh Allen probably feels that he has to make those plays for his team to be successful and he overall has a much larger burden on his shoulders because the situation around him is considerably less favorable. Does that make his mistakes good? Not at all… but they are common for QBs who carry their offenses. They press more out of seeming necessity. His entire career with the Bills is comparable to Brock's position in those 3 games we lost.

Thing is if they can get a OC in there that will commit to the run that team CAN actually run the ball. What they don't have is a great pass blocking line. So then Josh is forced to play Superman.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean I think it's partially bock and a lot of kyle and this elite roster.

No I don't think Brock would be Brock in Chicago or NY. I think that goes for a lot of good QBs in the league.

I knew a lot of those turn-over-worthy throws from last yr would actually become INTs this yr. That's just statistics and the law of avgs.

Brock has a lot of traits to be damn good here and end of the day that's all that matters. I do think a lot of QBs could be successful here too. More than happy with Brock at this point.

You also claimed that Brock was destined to "regress to the mean of all NFL QBs".

Some fans on this forum are just the way they are. They rarely change, but at least we are all in agreement that Brock is playing at a top five elite level, even if he is not your typical elite quarterback.
Share 49ersWebzone