Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
notice NY taking a victory lap on something that hasn't even come to fruition

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

And of course here you are gravitating to one part of my comment to argue. Typical. Grrr NY being right about something I didn't agree with last yr

since when is 2.0 INT % good lol? Same % as Zach Wilson right now. Same passes that weren't getting INTed last yr did through that 3 game losing stretch. He's gotta be better in those situations, gotta be better when we're playing from behind (teams know we're throwing). He's gotta know it's okay to throw the ball away on those early downs too. He's smart and I expect him to learn from those mistakes the more he plays.

Don't you dare turn this into a b******t fest about me not liking Brock or whatever dumb excuse you always make to get off tack.

that's the thing tho, you weren't right, you were wrong then, and you have the audacity to claim you are right now, but you are not
it's a victory lap, while just flat out wrong
you get one of these
your energy should be giving NC one of those also, if you want to criticize others by these type of actions

But NC was right. That's the big difference here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2023 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I just think he has a philosophical belief that a QB has next to zero chance to be elite in today's NFL unless they have elite physical talent… and much of the arguments made were products of that belief, and probably also the idea that a team has to have an elite QB to win the SB.

That's why there was a seeming willingness to live with growing pains of one individual guy on our roster over another.

It's not that unique an argument, other than there was a lot of bad smaller arguments that were made as a part of the overall argument and an inability to see that the specific argument for Trey as a Niner was already over.

Perfectly said. Lol it was a wild off season lmao. Thank god it's over.

between us losing to Philly and Brock's injury, uncertainty around Lance, Brock's timetable for return, Darnold signing m, lances trade etc. lmao what an exhausting off season. That isn't including hargrave signing, loving demeco etc.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I think this is a close to a fair summary(I wouldn't say no chance but he values tools more), and it describes my disagreement with NY on the subject as well. Maybe NY disagrees with that I'm not sure.

We talked about ceilings, and I didn't think Trey had a higher ceiling than Brock solely because he had more physical tools, your brain should be a factor in that. So while I'm still not 100% confident Brock has a higher ceiling, he's still the better option for this team and it's highly highly likely he does have the higher ceiling based off of his football intelligence.

At times, there was also an added component that a person can learn and become elite at any trait that a QB needs (mentally - it can all be learned. Which I think is nonsense. I'm from the school of thought that some things a person either has or doesn't in the mental dept). And as long as they have elite physical tools, they just need experience and they have a great chance to be great. Which I think is wildly inaccurate.

also, when I say some players don't naturally have certain mental capabilities to play the QB position at a high level - I'm not saying that person is dumb. It has little to nothing to do with if someone is intelligent or not.

there are like a thousand little things that Brock does well to elite. When you add those up - it's a huge huge reason why he's so successful. There isn't just one or two traits a qb needs to have to be great. Which is also why it's so hard to find a high end QB in this league. All of them are smart guys.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Nov 17, 2023 at 6:07 PM ]
  • bud49
  • Veteran
I was listening to KNBR today and Maiocco was on and he stated he would like to know how strong Brocks arm is, reason media has stated time and again that Brocks has a weak arm but Maiocco stated which is true that Brock can make every throw and has. He believes Brocks arm strength is more than capable and thinks it is a topic that is overplayed.
Originally posted by bud49:
I was listening to KNBR today and Maiocco was on and he stated he would like to know how strong Brocks arm is, reason media has stated time and again that Brocks has a weak arm but Maiocco stated which is true that Brock can make every throw and has. He believes Brocks arm strength is more than capable and thinks it is a topic that is overplayed.

Yeah it is. He makes all the throws.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Strong arm, big c*ck

I think arm strength topic is overplayed too. Way overplayed.

His arm looks even better than last season
Throw to Aiyuk on 3rd down from opposite hash along sideline shows the arm is fine.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Throw to Aiyuk on 3rd down from opposite hash along sideline shows the arm is fine.

This is Brock Purdy
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

This is Brock Purdy

Gorgeous processing and throw.

I believe it's his technique. Throwing isn't just in the arms..it's the feet, hips, rotation, shoulders etc… JTO talks about it all the time.

around the 12min when he talks about the Kittle TD, he talks about how much torque Purdy generates.
Brock throwing grenades out of the bunker. Kyle's words lol

He makes all the throws that are required in Kyle's offense. There are some throws he can't make like the 40 yard frozen rope between 2 defenders. That's okay because this offense doesn't require throws like that. He fits what Kyle needs.

My only concerns are staying healthy and fumbles. He seems to fumble a lot when hit or when trying to run out of the pocket. Even on some snaps from center. He has rather small hands so that may be why. So far the fumbles haven't really cost the team since most were recovered by Brock or a team mate. The fumbles aren't a major issue just a concern. The health is. The way QBs are going down (7 out for the year already) makes me nervous because the O line is average at best.
I can't understand how so many QBs are getting injured even though the league has them bubble wrapped. For the last 20 years or so they have kept adding rules that protect the QB, No hitting high. No hitting low. No hitting late. No driving him into the ground with your full weight. The slide when they run. Many of thees rules are over enforced by the officials because the league wants to keep the QBs on the field.

It's not working. QBs are getting injured as much or more than ever. Players are bigger now but their size hasn't changed much in that 20 year period. Something else is at play here. It seems a fairly large number of these injuries aren't the result of contact. Are the QBs just not in the same shape they used to be because they see so little contact in camp and pre season? I don't know. I'm just baffled by all these starting QBs that can't even make it past the mid season point. With all the rules that have been added the number of injuries should be going down.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
notice NY taking a victory lap on something that hasn't even come to fruition

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

And of course here you are gravitating to one part of my comment to argue. Typical. Grrr NY being right about something I didn't agree with last yr

since when is 2.0 INT % good lol? Same % as Zach Wilson right now. Same passes that weren't getting INTed last yr did through that 3 game losing stretch. He's gotta be better in those situations, gotta be better when we're playing from behind (teams know we're throwing). He's gotta know it's okay to throw the ball away on those early downs too. He's smart and I expect him to learn from those mistakes the more he plays.

Don't you dare turn this into a b******t fest about me not liking Brock or whatever dumb excuse you always make to get off tack.

that's the thing tho, you weren't right, you were wrong then, and you have the audacity to claim you are right now, but you are not
it's a victory lap, while just flat out wrong
you get one of these
your energy should be giving NC one of those also, if you want to criticize others by these type of actions

But NC was right. That's the downs difference.

The most comical part of this conversation is that 2.0 is bad

Joe Montana only had less then a 2.4 interception ratio 3 times in his career....he NEVER had a 2.0 ratio in his career. He finishes his career at 2.6
Nor did Brett Farve, he finished his Career over 3.0.

Guys like Drew Brees ended their career with a 2.3 interception ratio,Peyton Manning finished his career at 2.7, even Tom Brady ended his at 1.9 or very close to what Brock is pulling off this year.

Basically 2.0 would tie Peyton Manning's 3rd best season in interception ratio...

2.0 is only bad when compared to say someone like Aaron Rodgers( 1.4 ratio) who is a unicorn and had a long career and only 4 seasons over 2.0.
Share 49ersWebzone