LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 242 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lame that there even has to be an article defending BP. I can't listen to these idiot "analysts" cause most of what they say is just word vomit and I lose brain cells as soon as I hear them open their mouths. Lol. I have no idea how they get viewers.
Originally posted by Montana:
Lame that there even has to be an article defending BP. I can't listen to these idiot "analysts" cause most of what they say is just word vomit and I lose brain cells as soon as I hear them open their mouths. Lol. I have no idea how they get viewers.

I agree it's annoying but I don't fully fault them for two reasons

1. It's impossible for them to digest in detail all the games that occur. There's too much information generated on a week to week basis.

2. Reputation and clout is paramount. Being wrong on the public narrative costs nothing.

If I was in that role I would pick and choose when to seperate from the general narrative. Probably on topics I had time to fully evaluate and be an expert on. Being bold and wrong too often makes it so no one will listen.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
notice NY taking a victory lap on something that hasn't even come to fruition

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

And of course here you are gravitating to one part of my comment to argue. Typical. Grrr NY being right about something I didn't agree with last yr

since when is 2.0 INT % good lol? Same % as Zach Wilson right now. Same passes that weren't getting INTed last yr did through that 3 game losing stretch. He's gotta be better in those situations, gotta be better when we're playing from behind (teams know we're throwing). He's gotta know it's okay to throw the ball away on those early downs too. He's smart and I expect him to learn from those mistakes the more he plays.

Don't you dare turn this into a b******t fest about me not liking Brock or whatever dumb excuse you always make to get off tack.

that's the thing tho, you weren't right, you were wrong then, and you have the audacity to claim you are right now, but you are not
it's a victory lap, while just flat out wrong
you get one of these
your energy should be giving NC one of those also, if you want to criticize others by these type of actions

But NC was right. That's the downs difference.

The most comical part of this conversation is that 2.0 is bad

Joe Montana only had less then a 2.4 interception ratio 3 times in his career....he NEVER had a 2.0 ratio in his career. He finishes his career at 2.6
Nor did Brett Farve, he finished his Career over 3.0.

Guys like Drew Brees ended their career with a 2.3 interception ratio,Peyton Manning finished his career at 2.7, even Tom Brady ended his at 1.9 or very close to what Brock is pulling off this year.

Basically 2.0 would tie Peyton Manning's 3rd best season in interception ratio...

2.0 is only bad when compared to say someone like Aaron Rodgers( 1.4 ratio) who is a unicorn and had a long career and only 4 seasons over 2.0.

INT ratios are all mostly better today because of th way the passing game has evolved. More short passes thst allow the QB to get the ball out quicker and fewer really deep passes designed for the home run. Look at the completion percentages for QBs today vs the greats of 30 or 40 years ago. Different era and different game.
Originally posted by Montana:

Only our local media talks about how good Purdy is. In the beginning of the year before the losing streak it was all they talked about, how did the last pick become so great lol. Then its all "we knew he was just a product of the system", nothing about how well he overcame the test of adversity blah blah. Nothing about him after the loses. Were they expecting him to never lose a game haha.
Originally posted by bud49:
I was listening to KNBR today and Maiocco was on and he stated he would like to know how strong Brocks arm is, reason media has stated time and again that Brocks has a weak arm but Maiocco stated which is true that Brock can make every throw and has. He believes Brocks arm strength is more than capable and thinks it is a topic that is overplayed.

He leads the league in a few deep ball categories, including completion percentage.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/11/16/23964008/brock-purdy-49ers-houston-texans-cj-stroud-nfl-stats
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I can't understand how so many QBs are getting injured even though the league has them bubble wrapped. For the last 20 years or so they have kept adding rules that protect the QB, No hitting high. No hitting low. No hitting late. No driving him into the ground with your full weight. The slide when they run. Many of thees rules are over enforced by the officials because the league wants to keep the QBs on the field.

It's not working. QBs are getting injured as much or more than ever. Players are bigger now but their size hasn't changed much in that 20 year period. Something else is at play here. It seems a fairly large number of these injuries aren't the result of contact. Are the QBs just not in the same shape they used to be because they see so little contact in camp and pre season? I don't know. I'm just baffled by all these starting QBs that can't even make it past the mid season point. With all the rules that have been added the number of injuries should be going down.

I genuinely think that these guys not getting as many reps and physical practices throughout the off season, is creating more injuries. Players bodies are not getting those calluses and then getting throttled - shocking the body and all that. That's my thought on it.

I understand that players health and all of that ties into this but I think they need a better physical balance in the off season. Idk the exact data but it seems to me that ever since the new off season/practice rules - injuries have gone up.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I can't understand how so many QBs are getting injured even though the league has them bubble wrapped. For the last 20 years or so they have kept adding rules that protect the QB, No hitting high. No hitting low. No hitting late. No driving him into the ground with your full weight. The slide when they run. Many of thees rules are over enforced by the officials because the league wants to keep the QBs on the field.

It's not working. QBs are getting injured as much or more than ever. Players are bigger now but their size hasn't changed much in that 20 year period. Something else is at play here. It seems a fairly large number of these injuries aren't the result of contact. Are the QBs just not in the same shape they used to be because they see so little contact in camp and pre season? I don't know. I'm just baffled by all these starting QBs that can't even make it past the mid season point. With all the rules that have been added the number of injuries should be going down.

I genuinely think that these guys not getting as many reps and physical practices throughout the off season, is creating more injuries. Players bodies are not getting those calluses and then getting throttled - shocking the body and all that. That's my thought on it.

I understand that players health and all of that ties into this but I think they need a better physical balance in the off season. Idk the exact data but it seems to me that ever since the new off season/practice rules - injuries have gone up.

You can see a similar issue in baseball with pitchers. They aren't conditioned to go 9 innings so they go out and throw hard for 4or 5. It hasn't resulted in fewer arm problems. Mike Krukow is among those that think pitchers just aren't building enough arm endurance. They train for strength. It's like the difference between sprinting and distance running. You train differently and your body responds differently.

You can see a similar issue in baseball with pitchers. They aren't conditioned to go 9 innings so they go out and throw hard for 4or 5. It hasn't resulted in fewer arm problems. Mike Krukow is among those that think pitchers just aren't building enough arm endurance. They train for strength. It's like the difference between sprinting and distance running. You train differently and your body responds differently.

I'll have to look into it again but I think I saw data that there are more ACL than before, too.

it's almost like not warming your car up during a blizzard and then just flooring it as soon as it turns on. It's not ready for that and it breaks.

similar to the body. You do soft practices and then when it's game time, you max your body out physically and expect nothing to happen. Needs to be ramped up to it
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by bud49:
I was listening to KNBR today and Maiocco was on and he stated he would like to know how strong Brocks arm is, reason media has stated time and again that Brocks has a weak arm but Maiocco stated which is true that Brock can make every throw and has. He believes Brocks arm strength is more than capable and thinks it is a topic that is overplayed.

He leads the league in a few deep ball categories, including completion percentage.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/11/16/23964008/brock-purdy-49ers-houston-texans-cj-stroud-nfl-stats
"Purdy's aggressiveness and willingness to push the ball down the field is the 49ers have the best passing offense in the NFL by a comfortable margin. The Texans are second in passing DVOA at 47.9 percent. San Francisco sits at 66.6 percent. And that's going against the sixth-toughest schedule."

Good article. It doesn't surprise me that CJ and Houston are second in that category. That's a wide margin between first and second.

I agree the offseason is hurting not helping players after the collective bargaining agreement. They need more conditioning and in game football reps to prevent the soft tissue injures. It's counter intuitive however the only thing that's changed recently with the offseason conditioning programs.

Originally posted by thl408:
A lot of the article is of CMC and Brock sucking each other off, [...]
-------------------
When the session was over, the time to cram began. Running backs coach Bobby Turner stayed on the field with McCaffrey, outlining positional concepts. Meanwhile, quarterbacks coach [...]

I suppose each of them were living the dream.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Joe Montana = Augustus
Steve Young = Trajan
Jeff Garcia = Marcus Aurelius
Colin Kaepernick = Constantine
Jimmy Garoppolo = Justinian
Brock Purdy = ?

Genghis Khan
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Unfortunately since 3 of the top 6 run the Shanahan scheme, that will be what the media proclaims.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Throw to Aiyuk on 3rd down from opposite hash along sideline shows the arm is fine.

This is Brock Purdy

Gorgeous processing and throw.

Jimmy couldn't do that if he knew what the coverage was pre-snap.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
notice NY taking a victory lap on something that hasn't even come to fruition

2022 INT percent - 2.4
2023 INT percent - 2.0

And of course here you are gravitating to one part of my comment to argue. Typical. Grrr NY being right about something I didn't agree with last yr

since when is 2.0 INT % good lol? Same % as Zach Wilson right now. Same passes that weren't getting INTed last yr did through that 3 game losing stretch. He's gotta be better in those situations, gotta be better when we're playing from behind (teams know we're throwing). He's gotta know it's okay to throw the ball away on those early downs too. He's smart and I expect him to learn from those mistakes the more he plays.

Don't you dare turn this into a b******t fest about me not liking Brock or whatever dumb excuse you always make to get off tack.

that's the thing tho, you weren't right, you were wrong then, and you have the audacity to claim you are right now, but you are not
it's a victory lap, while just flat out wrong
you get one of these
your energy should be giving NC one of those also, if you want to criticize others by these type of actions

But NC was right. That's the downs difference.

The most comical part of this conversation is that 2.0 is bad

Joe Montana only had less then a 2.4 interception ratio 3 times in his career....he NEVER had a 2.0 ratio in his career. He finishes his career at 2.6
Nor did Brett Farve, he finished his Career over 3.0.

Guys like Drew Brees ended their career with a 2.3 interception ratio,Peyton Manning finished his career at 2.7, even Tom Brady ended his at 1.9 or very close to what Brock is pulling off this year.

Basically 2.0 would tie Peyton Manning's 3rd best season in interception ratio...

2.0 is only bad when compared to say someone like Aaron Rodgers( 1.4 ratio) who is a unicorn and had a long career and only 4 seasons over 2.0.

A better way to do it is to just look at the current collection of stats this season, which corrects for era. I have NOT done this as of this sentence, but I'm about to right now.

Presently he is 14th in the NFL. So middle of the pack in throwing interceptions. HOWEVER, he is 4th in the NFL at TD% (with 6.0%), and of those other top 4 guys, only one has a lower INT%. Moreover, of those 4, he is leading them all in completed air yards per pass attempt (meaning he's throwing harder to complete passes); in fact, he's leading the entire NFL in that category. Additionally, of the 13 quarterbacks with a lower INT% than him, again, none have a higher completed air yards per pass attempt.

So, Brock has a middling INT%, an elite TD%, and also an elite completed air yards per pass attempt, meaning he's completing a lot of down the field passes on his way to having a very solid TD to INT ratio.

EDIT: and just as a reminder, it should be pointed out that being too conservative is losing football. If you're not throwing any INTs, you're probably not throwing touchdowns either, and you're probably not scoring a lot of points.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Nov 18, 2023 at 3:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone