There are 417 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah I agree. It's unbelievable. It's like a young Montana or Brees. How did we get this lucky in the 7th round?
I think most people had Purdy as a 4th-round prospect going into the draft (which is in itself grossly undervalued in retrospect). 49ers had no perceived need for a QB (Lance was still the 'next big thing', Jimmy was still in the building, and Sudfeld had just been awarded a guaranteed deal).
Purdy presumably fell because other teams were in similar situations - desperately scrambling to fill other areas of need.

Niners room probably had an alarm system telling them that somehow 4th round value had ended up at the bottom of the 7th.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
I think Purdy can get 50 TD elsewhere. I love Kyle but Purdy is playing with Kyle. If he was on a Reid offense he would be eating. Just like if he was in Cincy too. Of course I hope he stays successful for us his entire career.

it took the 3 game skid to unleash Brock. I still think there is more potential for RPO stuff but after the elbow injury it's naw.

He maybe could put up bigger numbers. Who cares? It's not about numbers. You just want to win.

This team runs a lot. It somewhat limits the number of passes. It's unknown what would happen if we threw more. But who cares? We win a lot like this. With balance which is generally a good thing.

Somewhat? As always we're dead last in attempts with just 278 (here). The better the team, the least amount Kyle passes. Conversely, the worst his teams are, the more he passes. Kyle is QB1, CMC is QB2 and Brock is QB3. Haha.

Brock is making the absolute most of the very few passes he gets. Be Efficient. B-E Efficient.

Sure if you are ahead you run out the game. If you are behind you put up huge stats trying to come back. Balanced and efficient isn't the worst thing to be. Josh Allen throws 45 times a game and he throws lots of picks. Throwing 25 times a game is a good place to be. There will be times with 30+ throws. But what we are doing is fine and even good.
Haha

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
is that a no look pass?

Id like to see a breakdown of the 76 Aiyuk TD because it looked like he did throw a no look. That's why the safety bit so much to the other said and the corner had no help over the top. I could be wrong but that's how it looked to me on the tv
Originally posted by joeknows:
Yeah I agree. It's unbelievable. It's like a young Montana or Brees. How did we get this lucky in the 7th round?
I think most people had Purdy as a 4th-round prospect going into the draft (which is in itself grossly undervalued in retrospect). 49ers had no perceived need for a QB (Lance was still the 'next big thing', Jimmy was still in the building, and Sudfeld had just been awarded a guaranteed deal).
Purdy presumably fell because other teams were in similar situations - desperately scrambling to fill other areas of need.

Niners room probably had an alarm system telling them that somehow 4th round value had ended up at the bottom of the 7th.

The niners said they had a 4th or 5th round grade on him, can't remember which. QB just wasn't a need so they kept not selecting him as BPA, which I get.

it's similar to Brady, the patriots had him rated higher but had drew Bledsoe and then eventually just took him cause they'd passed him up so many times and he was still on the board.

the draft is a lot of luck, tons of variables that are out of anyones control that help determine how a player will be.

brock also massively improved his arm between his senior year and rookie year, I think thay played a huge part in the miss.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Purdy impressive

Boomer and Marino were MVPs those years and led their teams to the Super Bowl. I think Rodgers was the MVP that year.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Purdy impressive

Boomer and Marino were MVPs those years and led their teams to the Super Bowl. I think Rodgers was the MVP that year.

Rodgers was, it was like his best statistical year. They only lost like 1 game that year but lost in the playoffs.

but yeah, all three of those guys won MVP that year. The rest of that tweet actually says they all went on to win the mvp lmao
[ Edited by tankle104 on Nov 20, 2023 at 5:28 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think Purdy can get 50 TD elsewhere. I love Kyle but Purdy is playing with Kyle. If he was on a Reid offense he would be eating. Just like if he was in Cincy too. Of course I hope he stays successful for us his entire career.

it took the 3 game skid to unleash Brock. I still think there is more potential for RPO stuff but after the elbow injury it's naw.

He maybe could put up bigger numbers. Who cares? It's not about numbers. You just want to win.

This team runs a lot. It somewhat limits the number of passes. It's unknown what would happen if we threw more. But who cares? We win a lot like this. With balance which is generally a good thing.

Somewhat? As always we're dead last in attempts with just 278 (here). The better the team, the least amount Kyle passes. Conversely, the worst his teams are, the more he passes. Kyle is QB1, CMC is QB2 and Brock is QB3. Haha.

Brock is making the absolute most of the very few passes he gets. Be Efficient. B-E Efficient.

Sure if you are ahead you run out the game. If you are behind you put up huge stats trying to come back. Balanced and efficient isn't the worst thing to be. Josh Allen throws 45 times a game and he throws lots of picks. Throwing 25 times a game is a good place to be. There will be times with 30+ throws. But what we are doing is fine and even good.

Nah, as a HC, Kyle is just run-centric. That's who he really is. Everything starts with the run. The passing game is pretty pedestrian overall but Kyle's a master of setting up the pass via the run. Like you said, at the end of the days, it's one of the more balanced offenses despite the fewest passing attempts, in part, because both Kyle and Brock get the most out of those few attempts

Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Purdy impressive

Rodgers was, it was like his best statistical year. They only lost like 1 game that year but lost in the playoffs.

but yeah, all three of those guys won MVP that year. The rest of that tweet actually says they all went on to win the mvp lmao

If Brock wins an MVP with the fewest passing attempts, that would be historic!!!!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2023 at 6:43 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
The niners said they had a 4th or 5th round grade on him, can't remember which. QB just wasn't a need so they kept not selecting him as BPA, which I get.

it's similar to Brady, the patriots had him rated higher but had drew Bledsoe and then eventually just took him cause they'd passed him up so many times and he was still on the board.

the draft is a lot of luck, tons of variables that are out of anyones control that help determine how a player will be.

brock also massively improved his arm between his senior year and rookie year, I think thay played a huge part in the miss.

I think there is also a misconception around frequency success at round 1 compared to lower rounds.

Obviously 1st round picks are more likely to succeed in the NFL, but I think it's probably less front-heavy than people think.

The first info I find on this (I have not looked into this super deeply) -

1st round picks are less than 3 times more likely to become starters than 4th round picks.

1 round picks are 7 times more likely than 4th rounders to become All Pro players.

I think the 49ers have leveraged this quite well by playing the numbers game in the lower rounds. If you have multiple lower round picks you have a similar chance of unearthing a gem as if you have a single solid first round pick.

Giving Purdy his 4th round pre-draft prospect status, it's not that crazy that he has turned out to be really good (like Kittle, like Brady, etc.). I think the fact that he dropped so far, landed at a contending team, and has played so very well at the marquee position has made it all seem more perplexing than it really is.
Originally posted by joeknows:
I think there is also a misconception around frequency success at round 1 compared to lower rounds.

Obviously 1st round picks are more likely to succeed in the NFL, but I think it's probably less front-heavy than people think.

The first info I find on this (I have not looked into this super deeply) -

1st round picks are less than 3 times more likely to become starters than 4th round picks.

1 round picks are 7 times more likely than 4th rounders to become All Pro players.

I think the 49ers have leveraged this quite well by playing the numbers game in the lower rounds. If you have multiple lower round picks you have a similar chance of unearthing a gem as if you have a single solid first round pick.

Giving Purdy his 4th round pre-draft prospect status, it's not that crazy that he has turned out to be really good (like Kittle, like Brady, etc.). I think the fact that he dropped so far, landed at a contending team, and has played so very well at the marquee position has made it all seem more perplexing than it really is.

The odds of a QB being what you desire at pick #1 are the highest odds of working out, but they still aren't great. They drastically drop by each pick that goes by.

it's like the odds of a second round qb working out, or even a late first, are slim to none. Yeah it's less for a late round guy than a first round guy - but they're both super long shots. Lol

personally, everytbing about Brock has shocked me but specifically how quickly he was able to play the game at a high level. That's what idk how the pros missed - this guy didn't develop into a highly productive pro qb, he came into the league as one. So how a bunch of guys who coach pro ball for a living couldn't see a guy right in their face who can do what they desire at a high level from day one, is wild to me.

i get we missed it as fans, but not EVERY pro team and their scouts.

He looked like trash here without Deebo. I don't think Purdy would be good anywhere else. He's in the right system with a butt load of talent around him. Nothing wrong with that. If he's a baller here with Shanny that's all we can ask for.
System QB

Share 49ersWebzone