Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
System QB

Suck it Shannon
Passer rating leaders

1) Brock Purdy 115
2) Tua 106
3) Wilson 104

Purdy has a comfortable lead and if the season ended now he would be top 10 in NFL history for passer rating in a single season

The NFL record is 122.5
Originally posted by 49erKing:
System QB

Suck it Shannon

Cant wait to see what Nick the dick Wright has to say about Brock this week.
System QB

Suck it Shannon

Cant wait to see what Nick the dick Wright has to say about Brock this week.

If the man actually watches baker play and thinks he's better then Brock, then he has no credibility. Baker has been on STACKED teams and had limited success.

the Bucs actually have a lot of talent too. Awesome WR group, some top o lineman, a top LB, good corners, really solid d line. It isn't like he's on the bears or something. His conservative play style and lack of dependability to make big plays consistently is holding them back. That and no run game.

baker NEEDS a strong run game to be at his best. He isn't good enough to help carry a team if they don't. That can be said about a lot of guys but they're typically all game managers. Notice how we set up the run game with a strong pass game this week? Even with having awesome skill players to throw to, baker can't do that.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
I think Purdy can get 50 TD elsewhere. I love Kyle but Purdy is playing with Kyle. If he was on a Reid offense he would be eating. Just like if he was in Cincy too. Of course I hope he stays successful for us his entire career.

it took the 3 game skid to unleash Brock. I still think there is more potential for RPO stuff but after the elbow injury it's naw.

He looked like trash here without Deebo. I don't think Purdy would be good anywhere else. He's in the right system with a butt load of talent around him. Nothing wrong with that. If he's a baller here with Shanny that's all we can ask for.

3-0 last year without him. Please don't execute me as this is a super anti-jinx but I think we'd need to see how he does without CMC tbh. With this said, Brock is obviously perfect for Shanny's system at this time and the more he runs the better he's going to get and he'll be able to transfer this experience and an improved skillset to other teams IMO. He has a lot of great QB attributes, vision, pocket awareness, accuracy, always looking downfield, takes his craft seriously. Physically he is a surprisingly very good scrambler who can pick up 1st downs with his legs, he's built rather tough with a very strong lower base. The only "knocks" on him are his height and arm strength? Ability to play in inclement weather?
I think Purdy can get 50 TD elsewhere. I love Kyle but Purdy is playing with Kyle. If he was on a Reid offense he would be eating. Just like if he was in Cincy too. Of course I hope he stays successful for us his entire career.

it took the 3 game skid to unleash Brock. I still think there is more potential for RPO stuff but after the elbow injury it's naw.

He looked like trash here without Deebo. I don't think Purdy would be good anywhere else. He's in the right system with a butt load of talent around him. Nothing wrong with that. If he's a baller here with Shanny that's all we can ask for.

3-0 last year without him. Please don't execute me as this is a super anti-jinx but I think we'd need to see how he does without CMC tbh. With this said, Brock is obviously perfect for Shanny's system at this time and the more he runs the better he's going to get and he'll be able to transfer this experience and an improved skillset to other teams IMO. He has a lot of great QB attributes, vision, pocket awareness, accuracy, always looking downfield, takes his craft seriously. Physically he is a surprisingly very good scrambler who can pick up 1st downs with his legs, he's built rather tough with a very strong lower base. The only "knocks" on him are his height and arm strength? Ability to play in inclement weather?

He had no CMC, Deebo, Trent, Defense, kicker etc at times during that three game stretch - which resulted in no run game and poor pass protection - he still played really well outside a couple of plays where he turned it over. He was even playing in poor weather in Cleveland. It's just part of a long season.

i just think some people on here are over dramatic and expect everything to always be perfect and easy and it's just not that way.

brock has been amazing outside of a few plays during a three game stretch. I was more frustrated with the defense who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
Brock is 5-1 in his career vs #1 overall picked QB's.
Brock should be an mvp favorite at this point. Even non homers have to admit that.

Hard disagree. Purdy has elite level attributes that would translate very well elsewhere. His anticipation is described as world class by people who have played the position. His accuracy is off the charts. He progresses through his reads with lightning quickness. His pocket awareness is super high while always maintaining eyes downfield. Are you kidding calling him a system QB? He's a baller, homie, and would be balling in many situations out there.
Originally posted by joeknows:
Originally posted by tankle104:
The niners said they had a 4th or 5th round grade on him, can't remember which. QB just wasn't a need so they kept not selecting him as BPA, which I get.

it's similar to Brady, the patriots had him rated higher but had drew Bledsoe and then eventually just took him cause they'd passed him up so many times and he was still on the board.

the draft is a lot of luck, tons of variables that are out of anyones control that help determine how a player will be.

brock also massively improved his arm between his senior year and rookie year, I think thay played a huge part in the miss.

I think there is also a misconception around frequency success at round 1 compared to lower rounds.

Obviously 1st round picks are more likely to succeed in the NFL, but I think it's probably less front-heavy than people think.

The first info I find on this (I have not looked into this super deeply) -

1st round picks are less than 3 times more likely to become starters than 4th round picks.

1 round picks are 7 times more likely than 4th rounders to become All Pro players.

I think the 49ers have leveraged this quite well by playing the numbers game in the lower rounds. If you have multiple lower round picks you have a similar chance of unearthing a gem as if you have a single solid first round pick.

Giving Purdy his 4th round pre-draft prospect status, it's not that crazy that he has turned out to be really good (like Kittle, like Brady, etc.). I think the fact that he dropped so far, landed at a contending team, and has played so very well at the marquee position has made it all seem more perplexing than it really is.

There's a difference between QBs and non QBs becoming all-pros. QBs selected in rounds 4 or later are what, like 1 out of many hundreds becoming all-pros (Brady). QBs picked late finding even moderate NFL success, let alone elite play, is a f**king unicorn named Tom Brady, and now perhaps Brock Purdy.

Originally posted by Chance:
There's a difference between QBs and non QBs becoming all-pros. QBs selected in rounds 4 or later are what, like 1 out of many hundreds becoming all-pros (Brady). QBs picked late finding even moderate NFL success, let alone elite play, is a f**king unicorn named Tom Brady, and now perhaps Brock Purdy.

tony romo i would include in there as well. Honestly after seeing Garrett without Romo he was holding him back.

But the list is small what is interesting though if Purdy came out the year before (Lanc's year) he was seen as a 1st-2nd round player
Purdy is not good until he gets 2 perfect passing games in a row. So he needs to do it again on Thursday....
He had no CMC, Deebo, Trent, Defense, kicker etc at times during that three game stretch - which resulted in no run game and poor pass protection - he still played really well outside a couple of plays where he turned it over. He was even playing in poor weather in Cleveland. It's just part of a long season.

i just think some people on here are over dramatic and expect everything to always be perfect and easy and it's just not that way.

brock has been amazing outside of a few plays during a three game stretch. I was more frustrated with the defense who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Most other teams don't have an elite lt, an elite rb, an elite wr oh yeah and Purdy still plenty of talent to work with including an elite tight end + plus another very good receiver. Those weeks we saw what Purdy would be without the butt load of riches he has. Nothing wrong with admitting that we're stupidly talented and that makes the game easier for Brock.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 20, 2023 at 8:09 AM ]

Most other teams don't have an elite lt, an elite rb, an elite wr oh yeah and Purdy still plenty of talent to work with including an elite tight end + plus another very good receiver. Those weeks we saw what Purdy would be without the butt load of riches he has. Nothing wrong with admitting that we're stupidly talented and that makes the game easier for Brock.

You take away a handful of bad throws and his numbers were still elite in those games. Not having Deebo was a lot less of an issue than not having his starting LT. He played damn well in 3 games last season when Deebo was out.
Unfortunately, I doubt he'll ever get to credit he deserves until he's won a super bowl.

I must admit, I had a few doubts after that 3 game losing streak, but he sure bounced back with back-to-back stellar performances.
Share 49ersWebzone