There are 241 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You take away a handful of bad throws and his numbers were still elite in those games. Not having Deebo was a lot less of an issue than not having his starting LT. He played damn well in 3 games last season when Deebo was out.

17 points, 17 points, and 17 points. Not elite performances. Cincy he was good up until the 4th, but he sucked against Clv, and Min was just OK.

But we didn't have the whole squad so it's fine. I'm not trying to hate on Purdy just saying you put him elsewhere it's not going to go well. He's great here where he has everything you could ever ask for.
He didn't suck against any of those three. He was just a bit inconsistent / middle level. These aren't binary situations. A player can be more middle ground / average and not to their top level without being terrible.

Mayfield yesterday is a good example of a QB playing okay but not great and not terrible.
[ Edited by captveg on Nov 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You take away a handful of bad throws and his numbers were still elite in those games. Not having Deebo was a lot less of an issue than not having his starting LT. He played damn well in 3 games last season when Deebo was out.

17 points, 17 points, and 17 points. Not elite performances. Cincy he was good up until the 4th, but he sucked against Clv, and Min was just OK.

But we didn't have the whole squad so it's fine. I'm not trying to hate on Purdy just saying you put him elsewhere it's not going to go well. He's great here where he has everything you could ever ask for.

He was 19 of 24 for 250+ yards and a TD before suffering that head injury late in the 4th quarter of the Vikings game. The only poor game he actually has had in his 18 game career was against a top 5 defense on the road in bad weather and he still put the team in position to win it at the end.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 20, 2023 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
I think Purdy can get 50 TD elsewhere. I love Kyle but Purdy is playing with Kyle. If he was on a Reid offense he would be eating. Just like if he was in Cincy too. Of course I hope he stays successful for us his entire career.

it took the 3 game skid to unleash Brock. I still think there is more potential for RPO stuff but after the elbow injury it's naw.

He looked like trash here without Deebo. I don't think Purdy would be good anywhere else. He's in the right system with a butt load of talent around him. Nothing wrong with that. If he's a baller here with Shanny that's all we can ask for.

The problem was Trent Williams. Our offensive line is awful without him. It's suspect even with him.

No he wasn't terrible in those games. He even made some dime throws to Aiyuk. The processing was still pretty good. The accuracy was still there. There were fumbles and missed FG's. Zero blitzes with seconds on the clock. If not for those you are looking at 1 loss instead of 3. Watch the Chase Daniel videos. He wasn't really awful in those games. There was good play too.

Having Ray Ray instead of Deebo is a completely ridiculous replacement. Put the Michigan kid in. Ray Ray is a return man. Nothing more.

I might add a lot of Brock's game is based on timing and anticipation. Before the receiver makes his break. He's expecting the player to be somewhere. If they are not or don't get to there that can really mess things up. He's not on the same page with all the backups that he is with say Aiyuk.

If it's all system why can't Jimmy G, Trey or Sam Darnold do it? Because they can't and don't.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 20, 2023 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Unfortunately, I doubt he'll ever get to credit he deserves until he's won a super bowl.

I must admit, I had a few doubts after that 3 game losing streak, but he sure bounced back with back-to-back stellar performances.

Even winning the SB won't get the critics off Purdy's back. Brady had to win THREE SBs and still didn't lose the "he's a game manager" stigma until 2007 when he threw a ton of TDs.

If you're a QB drafted late the only thing the media considers elite is 40+ TDs in a season. Anything else isn't enough for them. It's that simple.
Are the braindead hot take pundits still calling Purdy trash?
How can anyone be critical of Purdy after a 300 yard, 3TD, perfect passer rating game? He may have his flaws like every QB does but they weren't on display in this game. Nothing but good. He makes up for his flaws by continuing to find the open receiver and putting the ball where they can catch it instead of forcing passes into areas where they have a low chance of completion. Other than growing 3 inches and adding 20 lbs I don't know what else he can do.

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Originally posted by miked1978:

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Justin Herbert has been awful. Josh Allen has had some terrible games. I don't think these guys watch the other games. They think every QB is perfect in every game. That's simply not true. Heck even Montana and Young lost games. They hold him to a very unrealistic standard. The body of work says extremely good.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 20, 2023 at 9:04 AM ]
waiting on that Steve Ruiz ranks update

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Justin Herbert has been awful. Josh Allen has had some terrible games. I don't think these guys watch the other games. They think every QB is perfect in every game. That's simply not true. Heck even Montana and Young lost games. They hold him to a very unrealistic standard. The body of work says extremely good.

You are right. I keep watching others games and I am so happy with what we have.

You are hating
I stand by what I said weeks ago. I'm not worried about Purdy at all.

In fact, it feels good to not even care about the qb thread because we finally have one.

All we are waiting on is how he plays from behind and in those key moments etc. Those opportunities will naturally happen, so it's wait and see.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Purdy is an absolute baller. The only critique I have is he needs to start sliding feet first and protect himself more. He's diving head first on scrambles right into the area where dudes are trying to tackle him, and he's almost taken a couple errant shins to the head. Just not worth the risk to pick up an extra 1/4 yard. Other than that, he's ridiculous.
  • thl408
So nice to be able to punish defenses that don't play a safety over the top of a 1on1 on the outside that the 49ers have the advantage on. Last week it was Kittle versus a Jags LB. Yesterday it's the Bucs RCB versus Aiyuk.
Share 49ersWebzone