There are 130 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock's receivers collectively have the 8th lowest drop% in the NFL. Is that a testament to how accurate he is?

Ball comes in super softly because his arm is so weak.

You mean like Montana's lol.
Brock's receivers collectively have the 8th lowest drop% in the NFL. Is that a testament to how accurate he is?

I think this absolutely is a part of it, yes. Purdy throws a very catchable ball, and typically isnt turning WRs around or causing them to reach behind them to make a catch.

Brock was amazing yesterday but Who this guy? Is he the dude that s**t on 49er content creators a couple months ago?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Brock was amazing yesterday but Who this guy? Is he the dude that s**t on 49er content creators a couple months ago?

Tell me you're not from the bay, without telling me you're not from the bay.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Damon Bruce? he has his own sandwich

Who is Damon Bruce? You serious?

this is funny coming from a dude who hangs his hat on Fantasy Football prognosticators' opinions
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I think this absolutely is a part of it, yes. Purdy throws a very catchable ball, and typically isnt turning WRs around or causing them to reach behind them to make a catch.

I agree with SWH, Purdy helps keep the drop rate low because he throws a very catchable and accurate ball with nice touch. That contributes. The skill guys have made some awesome/tough catches and bailed him out a few times, as well. That's how it should work though, IMO, both parties doing what they can to get the job done and make each other's lives easier. That's part of the Beauty and complexity of the sport that I enjoy.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

This plus he rarely throws his WR's into big hits (eh hmm Jimmy G).
Originally posted by Waterbear:

lol seriously

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by miked1978:

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Just for comparison, here are Mahomes' three worst games this year versus Purdy's three worst.

PM -
77.5 in loss to Detroit
63.6 in a 23-20 win over the Zach Wilson Jets.
59.1 in a loss to Denver.

BP -
94.2 in loss to Cincy
81.5 in loss to Vikings
55.3 in a loss to the Browns.

Now, I'm not claiming Purdy is better than Mahomes. I'm just noting how silly it is to say he had three "bad" games and was exposed. Two of the three Purdy stinkers were better than Mahomes' best stinkers.

Draw your own conclusions...

PM was awesome vs DET, if anyone goes back and watches, just dotting ppl all over the field,
not his fault Toney has it clang off the hands over and over, including for a pick 6, hits his rating, but not his fault

so a lot of QB stats are a team reflection, and playcaller reflection, OL has to block, WRs have to separate and catch it, playcaller has to be in his bag, giving some nice layups. the important part is having a QB that can take advantage. Z Wilson has receivers cooking their matchup, and he doesn't see it or put it on em. Trey had the same issue. Anticipation and accuracy combined with vision, the keys for Brock. Along with his ability to extend

It's called "throwing them open." All the really good ones can do that. Brock, by that definition, is a really good one.
Originally posted by JC_916:
Where are those clowns Socal and ring....super quiet in game day chat. 🙄

If you mean me, I'm always mostly quiet in the game day chat, because I'm—get this—watching the game. But despite Jimmy's cousin claiming otherwise, I've never been a Purdy hater, and am the one who compared him to Mahomes in his style of play. Just because I criticize when a player makes mistakes doesn't mean I don't recognize when they have elite talent, and Brock has elite anticipation and other skills which are necessary for the QB position.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by miked1978:

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Just for comparison, here are Mahomes' three worst games this year versus Purdy's three worst.

PM -
77.5 in loss to Detroit
63.6 in a 23-20 win over the Zach Wilson Jets.
59.1 in a loss to Denver.

BP -
94.2 in loss to Cincy
81.5 in loss to Vikings
55.3 in a loss to the Browns.

Now, I'm not claiming Purdy is better than Mahomes. I'm just noting how silly it is to say he had three "bad" games and was exposed. Two of the three Purdy stinkers were better than Mahomes' best stinkers.

Draw your own conclusions...

PM was awesome vs DET, if anyone goes back and watches, just dotting ppl all over the field,
not his fault Toney has it clang off the hands over and over, including for a pick 6, hits his rating, but not his fault

so a lot of QB stats are a team reflection, and playcaller reflection, OL has to block, WRs have to separate and catch it, playcaller has to be in his bag, giving some nice layups. the important part is having a QB that can take advantage. Z Wilson has receivers cooking their matchup, and he doesn't see it or put it on em. Trey had the same issue. Anticipation and accuracy combined with vision, the keys for Brock. Along with his ability to extend

It's called "throwing them open." All the really good ones can do that. Brock, by that definition, is a really good one.

Speaking of the Lions, I'm really starting to get nervous that them beating the Chiefs might come back to haunt us. Hell, I was already nervous about that during that game and mentioned it then too. Oh well, if we take care of business the rest of the way and finish 14-3, I think we get the first seed.
Brock's stats thru his first 16 regular season games:

4,036 yds
69% Completion Percentage
31 TD
8 Int

Imagine if any other rookie threw for that? Justin Herbert rookie year was very similar and probably the best rooke season ever by a QB. He's considered a franchise QB and rightfully so.

4,336 yds
67% Completion Percentage
31 TD
10 Int

[ Edited by miked1978 on Nov 20, 2023 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

I agree with SWH, Purdy helps keep the drop rate low because he throws a very catchable and accurate ball with nice touch. That contributes. The skill guys have made some awesome/tough catches and bailed him out a few times, as well. That's how it should work though, IMO, both parties doing what they can to get the job done and make each other's lives easier. That's part of the Beauty and complexity of the sport that I enjoy.

The fact he throws such a catchable ball allows his receivers to make those tough catches on balls that are not spot-on target.

One of Josh Allen's flaws is his lack of touch on some of his throws. Last week he had a wide-open receiver but there was so much heat on the ball it went right through his hands for a pick. It was the receiver's fault for not catching it but a ball with better touch would have been an easy catch for a first down.
Share 49ersWebzone