QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
Brock's stats thru his first 16 regular season games:

4,036 yds
69% Completion Percentage
31 TD
8 Int

Imagine if any other rookie threw for that? Justin Herbert rookie year was very similar and probably the best rooke season ever by a QB. He's considered a franchise QB and rightfully so.

4,336 yds
67% Completion Percentage
31 TD
10 Int

shannon sharpe not impressed
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Just for comparison, here are Mahomes' three worst games this year versus Purdy's three worst.

PM -
77.5 in loss to Detroit
63.6 in a 23-20 win over the Zach Wilson Jets.
59.1 in a loss to Denver.

BP -
94.2 in loss to Cincy
81.5 in loss to Vikings
55.3 in a loss to the Browns.

Now, I'm not claiming Purdy is better than Mahomes. I'm just noting how silly it is to say he had three "bad" games and was exposed. Two of the three Purdy stinkers were better than Mahomes' best stinkers.

Draw your own conclusions...

PM was awesome vs DET, if anyone goes back and watches, just dotting ppl all over the field,
not his fault Toney has it clang off the hands over and over, including for a pick 6, hits his rating, but not his fault

so a lot of QB stats are a team reflection, and playcaller reflection, OL has to block, WRs have to separate and catch it, playcaller has to be in his bag, giving some nice layups. the important part is having a QB that can take advantage. Z Wilson has receivers cooking their matchup, and he doesn't see it or put it on em. Trey had the same issue. Anticipation and accuracy combined with vision, the keys for Brock. Along with his ability to extend

It's called "throwing them open." All the really good ones can do that. Brock, by that definition, is a really good one.

Speaking of the Lions, I'm really starting to get nervous that them beating the Chiefs might come back to haunt us. Hell, I was already nervous about that during that game and mentioned it then too. Oh well, if we take care of business the rest of the way and finish 14-3, I think we get the first seed.

The Lions are legit. Goff is playing like the draft pick he was and their OL is the best. We may have to win out to get #1.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
is that a no look pass?

He's done that sort of thing before so why not? He doesn't have Mahomes' arm strength but he does a lot of the same tricks, has the same quick twitch reflexes and reaction, has similar mobility, same cleverness, same awareness.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Chase Daniel making a case for Purdy for MVP. Starts at 3:15.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

What QBs haven't laid some duds this year? Every elite QB gas thrown multiple int games but when Brock has a couple bad games he's put in this category that he can't succeed if he wasnt on the 49ers. I think that is total BS. It takes a good system for a good QB to become great. I'm not saying Brock is elite but he sure is playing elite in most of his games and barely has a full season under his belt.

I'd argue if you put any good QB on a crap team you'd get a bad outcome.

Just for comparison, here are Mahomes' three worst games this year versus Purdy's three worst.

PM -
77.5 in loss to Detroit
63.6 in a 23-20 win over the Zach Wilson Jets.
59.1 in a loss to Denver.

BP -
94.2 in loss to Cincy
81.5 in loss to Vikings
55.3 in a loss to the Browns.

Now, I'm not claiming Purdy is better than Mahomes. I'm just noting how silly it is to say he had three "bad" games and was exposed. Two of the three Purdy stinkers were better than Mahomes' best stinkers.

Draw your own conclusions...

PM was awesome vs DET, if anyone goes back and watches, just dotting ppl all over the field,
not his fault Toney has it clang off the hands over and over, including for a pick 6, hits his rating, but not his fault

so a lot of QB stats are a team reflection, and playcaller reflection, OL has to block, WRs have to separate and catch it, playcaller has to be in his bag, giving some nice layups. the important part is having a QB that can take advantage. Z Wilson has receivers cooking their matchup, and he doesn't see it or put it on em. Trey had the same issue. Anticipation and accuracy combined with vision, the keys for Brock. Along with his ability to extend

It's called "throwing them open." All the really good ones can do that. Brock, by that definition, is a really good one.

Speaking of the Lions, I'm really starting to get nervous that them beating the Chiefs might come back to haunt us. Hell, I was already nervous about that during that game and mentioned it then too. Oh well, if we take care of business the rest of the way and finish 14-3, I think we get the first seed.

The Lions are legit. Goff is playing like the draft pick he was and their OL is the best. We may have to win out to get #1.

Very likely we need to win out to get the #1, which includes a win against the Eagles.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock's receivers collectively have the 8th lowest drop% in the NFL. Is that a testament to how accurate he is?

I think this absolutely is a part of it, yes. Purdy throws a very catchable ball, and typically isnt turning WRs around or causing them to reach behind them to make a catch.

His touch and accuracy on swing passes angling away from him are pretty remarkable. Montana told of the hours and hours he spent with Wendell Tyler, Roger Craig, and Tom Rathman to develop that touch. Walsh was a fanatic about it and it drove Joe crazy at first.
is that a no look pass?

He's done that sort of thing before so why not? He doesn't have Mahomes' arm strength but he does a lot of the same tricks, has the same quick twitch reflexes and reaction, has similar mobility, same cleverness, same awareness.

he saw John Candy in the stands
Brock's stats thru his first 16 regular season games:

4,036 yds
69% Completion Percentage
31 TD
8 Int

Imagine if any other rookie threw for that? Justin Herbert rookie year was very similar and probably the best rooke season ever by a QB. He's considered a franchise QB and rightfully so.

4,336 yds
67% Completion Percentage
31 TD
10 Int

shannon sharpe not impressed

He's f**king elite. Really impressed that he fixed his mistakes from 3 game skid, so many QBs fail off a cliff after a rough stretch of games (hell Josh Allen this year looks like a mega bust when he was supposed to be an MVP).

Easily top 5 QB in the league this year based on whatever actual f**king real metrics (QBR, Passer rating, etc) that you want to use. Definitely in running for MVP as well but I'd prefer SB MVP over that award (something Rodgers would completely disagree with). People not viewing him like a top 5 QB are biased (LOL at people quoting morons like Sharpe that can barely speak English). Sorry guys like Herbert and Allen have been f**king trash this year and aren't winning a SB and once their cap hits get larger their teams will only get s**ttier.

Should be 8-2 if Moody doesn't f**k up in Cleveland game or if Aiyuk gets the TD that was in his hands.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Brock was amazing yesterday but Who this guy? Is he the dude that s**t on 49er content creators a couple months ago?

IIRC, he was on KNBR for a couple of years.

is that a no look pass?

10x the brain of mahomes who still can't read defenses and gets bailed out routinely by refs every f**king game.
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
10x the brain of mahomes who still can't read defenses and gets bailed out routinely by refs every f**king game.

we don't need to knock Josh Allen or Mahomes to pump up BP
Where is this magical film on Brock that he NFL has?

What they are going to see is a super accurate QB who is very decisive and crafty in the pocket. Basically a very good QB.

Tampa tried to crowd the middle of the field from Brock and it didn't bother him. He was hitting guys deep in the middle towards the hash marks still. Those long crossing routes.

As a 9er fan I can sincerely say to beat Brock is to keep him and the offense off the field.

He is the best QB this year.
[ Edited by Eddie_D on Nov 20, 2023 at 1:37 PM ]
Passes of 10+ air yards

He is 67 of 97 which includes 33 20+ yard attempts. More than half of Brock's passing 1st downs have come on passes of 10+ air yards.

Completion rate- 69.1%
Yards- 1514
TD's- 12
INT's- 4
BTT- 19
TWP- 10
1STD- 66
PR- 128.0 (averaged)

Passes of 9 or less air yards

He is 126 of 155 which includes 38 passes behind los. 6 of his 9 dropped passes have come on passes 9 air yards or less.

Completion rate- 81.3
Yards- 1148
TD's- 6
INT's- 1
BTT- 0
TWP- 0
1STD- 57
PR- 111.8 (averaged)
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

People here think they're the same QB..

They don't even play with the same play-style, even if their production was the same (which it definitely is not). That's honestly one of the dumber takes about Purdy. (a) Purdy is mobile. (b) Purdy throws deep. (c) Purdy actually reads defenses post-snap. I mean come on.
Share 49ersWebzone