LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 144 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ritz126:
i wouldnt say that

Their D is one of the best . They have just whiffed on Wrs

This. They have a good young defense. On offense they have one of the best OLs in the league and as long as they have Mahomes and to a somewhat lesser extent Kelce, they'll always be in the running for a SB.
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
No.

Mahomes have done enough to be compared to this year's best or next year's best. A lot of times Tom Brady wasn't the best QB in the league. Heck, half of his career he wasn't the best QB in the league because those years went to Rodgers. With that said, Mahomes can be compared to Brock, who I view as the best in the league this year.

Unless you think Mahomes is better than Purdy this year which I beg to differ. You can just look at the stats and what he is doing with the 49ers.

Mahomes is better than Purdy in every year. Mahomes is just ridiculous and by far the best QB in football right now. Let Purdy win a couple SBs before we start getting nuts. He's had a great start but he still has a lot to prove.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

Meanwhile, Purdy's career regular season passer rating is 112.2 over 445 pass attempts (need 1500 pass attempts to make the list above).

I agree that most people with a sense of rational thought would still take Mahomes over Purdy. But at this point, would you take anyone else? Maybe Joe Burrow, though he's injury prone? Herbert and Allen are good but just not consistent enough.
Let's slow down a bit. Purdy Boy Brock has just, in terms of games played, completed a full season worth of games. He is 14-3. In those games, and playoff games, he has excited this fan base. A lot of you have a pretty good idea of what a good QB looks like. You like Brock. You've seen play from Brock which has made you forget about Jimmy G and given you hope for #6. Let this young man play and learn. He is not the highly touted player coming out of college football with a National Championship hanging on his back and the next savior for a downtrodden NFL team. He is Mr. Irrelevant no less!!! Be patient
Gip just interviewed said BP is a quiet, humble guy, yet when he has the ball in his hands, he expects the O to score
baller, he said
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
What if you swapped Mahomes and Purdy? Do you belive Purdy on this Chiefs team would be operating at a higher level than Mahomes is currently? Mahomes does get a lot of leeway....mostly from the refs/league, because they desperately want him to get Bowls, but the fact of the matter is, he's probably still the best QB in the NFL. I don't think stats at face value changes much. At least, it doesn't to me.

Having said that, I can't expect anything more from Purdy except what Steve Young said in regards to leading his team to victories when defeat seems likely - the down late in game scenarios where he's got to lead a comeback to win.

Superstar treatment is common...and unfair. Michael Jordan gets it. LeBron gets it. Mahomes gets it. It is a business deal. In the end, it puts him on a pedestal that he hasn't truly earned although he does have the best physical package at the position. EDIT: His body of work does give him Jordan consideration.

As to Purdy, if he continues to play at this level he will begin to receive it as well. The league is always looking for storylines that will sell ad time. BP will get his because he is a top storyline this season...and his play supports it.

I think we all get what Steve Young is saying, however, that should not take away from what he has accomplished in his short career. The only time he has had a chance to bring his team back, he did. The fact Moody missed the kick should not take away from the fact that even in his worst game to date, he did put his team in a position to win the game. That deserves notice.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 21, 2023 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Meanwhile, Purdy's career regular season passer rating is 112.2 over 445 pass attempts (need 1500 pass attempts to make the list above).

I agree that most people with a sense of rational thought would still take Mahomes over Purdy. But at this point, would you take anyone else? Maybe Joe Burrow, though he's injury prone? Herbert and Allen are good but just not consistent enough.

Honestly, the only QBs I'd take (assuming healthy) over Brock would be burrow or Mahommes. The way Brock plays the game is about exactly as I think the position should be played. I think Josh allen is awesome but not consistent.

Although it's still early with Brock and we will see how he looks ina year or two but I'm confident he will be even better. I just like the classy, methodical, accurate, surgeon type QBs. Just my preference.
Originally posted by dj43:
What if you swapped Mahomes and Purdy? Do you belive Purdy on this Chiefs team would be operating at a higher level than Mahomes is currently? Mahomes does get a lot of leeway....mostly from the refs/league, because they desperately want him to get Bowls, but the fact of the matter is, he's probably still the best QB in the NFL. I don't think stats at face value changes much. At least, it doesn't to me.

Having said that, I can't expect anything more from Purdy except what Steve Young said in regards to leading his team to victories when defeat seems likely - the down late in game scenarios where he's got to lead a comeback to win.

Superstar treatment is common...and unfair. Michael Jordan gets it. LeBron gets it. Mahomes gets it. It is a business deal. In the end, it puts him on a pedestal that he hasn't truly earned although he does have the best physical package at the position.

As to Purdy, if he continues to play at this level he will begin to receive it as well. The league is always looking for storylines that will sell ad time. BP will get his because he is a top storyline this season...and his play supports it.

I think we all get what Steve Young is saying, however, that should not take away from what he has accomplished in his short career. The only time he has had a chance to bring his team back, he did. The fact Moody missed the kick should not take away from the fact that even in his worst game to date, he did put his team in a position to win the game. That deserves notice.

Very well put.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Honestly, the only QBs I'd take (assuming healthy) over Brock would be burrow or Mahommes. The way Brock plays the game is about exactly as I think the position should be played. I think Josh allen is awesome but not consistent.

Although it's still early with Brock and we will see how he looks ina year or two but I'm confident he will be even better. I just like the classy, methodical, accurate, surgeon type QBs. Just my preference.

what about Lamar Jackson, he's good
then we would get some of the mythical KS 11 v 11, Lamar with CMC next to him, defend that
but when you factor the contract, give me BP, we have a cheat code enabled, when it comes to the salary cap, BP from his ability should be making $50-60m

Brock making 'quarterbacking' great again. He is actually a real prototypical QB before the obsession with running QB's.

Brock can run too if Kyle would just let him. Brock seems smart enough to avoid damage as a running QB. I would like to see Kyle unleash Brock like what he drafted Lance for.

RPO Brock could be pretty good.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Eddie_D:
No.

Mahomes have done enough to be compared to this year's best or next year's best. A lot of times Tom Brady wasn't the best QB in the league. Heck, half of his career he wasn't the best QB in the league because those years went to Rodgers. With that said, Mahomes can be compared to Brock, who I view as the best in the league this year.

Unless you think Mahomes is better than Purdy this year which I beg to differ. You can just look at the stats and what he is doing with the 49ers.

Mahomes is better than Purdy in every year. Mahomes is just ridiculous and by far the best QB in football right now. Let Purdy win a couple SBs before we start getting nuts. He's had a great start but he still has a lot to prove.

Purdy is having a better year but Mahomes has no offensive help. Terrible WRs and he doesn't have a RB close to CMC. Kittle is having a better year than Kelce who seems pre occupied with Taylor Swift. His O line is playing very poorly as well. Lot's of holding and false start penalties.

Nothing wrong with Mahomes. They just don't have the weapons.

Superstar treatment is common...and unfair. Michael Jordan gets it. LeBron gets it. Mahomes gets it. It is a business deal. In the end, it puts him on a pedestal that he hasn't truly earned although he does have the best physical package at the position.

How come steph never gets superstar treatment tho. Feels like this doesn't apply to Bay Area sports stars
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

what about Lamar Jackson, he's good
then we would get some of the mythical KS 11 v 11, Lamar with CMC next to him, defend that
but when you factor the contract, give me BP, we have a cheat code enabled, when it comes to the salary cap, BP from his ability should be making $50-60m

Lamar jackson is good but he isn't the type of qb I ideally like. I think if he played here and we tried to do 11 on 11 - it would last a couple of games and then he would just be nagging injuries all year.

i like QBs who can dissect the field with their arm and enough mobility to buy time to make a good throw. I just don't think Lamar is consistently a great passer. His stats look good this year but so does Russell Wilson. Lol stats are decieving. Lamar has such dynamic mobility though.

i just imagine he would get instantly injured with the way Kyle would want to play 11-11 ball. Lol just like what happened with Lance.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

How come steph never gets superstar treatment tho. Feels like this doesn't apply to Bay Area sports stars

Good point.

Bay Area players have never received the recognition they deserve. Look how long it took some of the 49er superstars from the 60s and 70s to receive HOF mention.

Curry is a curious case to me. It is almost like the writers consider his enormous talent and accomplishment as a cheat code that does not deserve honor.
Good point.

Bay Area players have never received the recognition they deserve. Look how long it took some of the 49er superstars from the 60s and 70s to receive HOF mention.

Curry is a curious case to me. It is almost like the writers consider his enormous talent and accomplishment as a cheat code that does not deserve honor.

you have superstar treatment, sure, fouls are also a product of getting beat
so if you are a LT, and you get beat all day, you are gonna be holding on for dear life, and flagged a lot
in NBA, if someone is blowing by you all game, you are gonna grab there too, or attacking the rim, there may be contact
now Steph has a lightning release and is jacking up shots from near halfcourt, where is the foul on that?
Share 49ersWebzone