LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 191 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
From David Holder of The Athletic:

"I've been under the assumption since before the season started that Hurts would win if the Eagles finished as the top seed in the NFC. His play combined with Mahomes fatigue would make the Eagles quarterback a likely winner. But Hurts' numbers aren't necessarily as eye-popping as those of the San Francisco 49ers' Brock Purdy and the Dallas Cowboys' Dak Prescott.

The Eagles hold a sizable lead in the NFC, but their schedule is tough the next few weeks. Any jostling in the standings should bring more attention to Purdy or Prescott if you're looking for someone outside the top of the leaderboard."

Two things stand out:

1. East Coast pre-season bias is still holding Hurts at the top of the list. His actual play is not as good this year as last. When the voting starts, that bias will shrink.

Same goes for Mahomes. He is still the same guy he was but the drop-off in supporting cast is causing his numbers to drop. Will that impact his vote? Maybe.

2. Brock is going to continue to be in the coversation. The MVP vote and the NFC championship is all on the line in the next three weeks. If he continues anywhere close to where he has been these past two games, he will be there in the end.
Originally posted by dj43:

"I've been under the assumption since before the season started that Hurts would win if the Eagles finished as the top seed in the NFC. His play combined with Mahomes fatigue would make the Eagles quarterback a likely winner. But Hurts' numbers aren't necessarily as eye-popping as those of the San Francisco 49ers' Brock Purdy and the Dallas Cowboys' Dak Prescott.

The Eagles hold a sizable lead in the NFC, but their schedule is tough the next few weeks. Any jostling in the standings should bring more attention to Purdy or Prescott if you're looking for someone outside the top of the leaderboard."

Two things stand out:

1. East Coast pre-season bias is still holding Hurts at the top of the list. His actual play is not as good this year as last. When the voting starts, that bias will shrink.

Same goes for Mahomes. He is still the same guy he was but the drop-off in supporting cast is causing his numbers to drop. Will that impact his vote? Maybe.

2. Brock is going to continue to be in the coversation. The MVP vote and the NFC championship is all on the line in the next three weeks. If he continues anywhere close to where he has been these past two games, he will be there in the end.

maybe CMC will split the vote so we get the most votes, but it's split between CMC and Brock
then you have NFL MVP, Dak Prescott
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
If Brock has a good game against the eagles and we win, do you think that will be enough to push him ahead in the MVP race?

Push him ahead, probably not but he'll definitely put himself in the conversation. CJ Stroud stands out to me, Texans going from picking #2 in draft to possible playoff contention. I know he's a rookie but he also deserves to be talked about.

He is already in the conversation as he has the 6th best odds.

Two weeks ago he was at 6,000. Now at 1,800. Of course, that is just the bookies' view. How the actual voters respond may be quite different.

Personally, when I compare the way the KS offense operated under JG to the way it is operating now with Purdy, I am ready to hand the award to Purdy right now.

The problem is the talking heads didn't even watch our games then, let alone now. They have no idea that Jimmy was much more carried by this team than Brock is. They don't know about the "Jimmy gimmies," or if they do, they ASSume that's still our offense (see Shannon Sharpe, and a few Jimmy Cultists who were holding out for a bit before they finally realized that Shanahan's offense is NOT dink and dunk offense, he was just adapting to the QB he had).
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The problem is the talking heads didn't even watch our games then, let alone now. They have no idea that Jimmy was much more carried by this team than Brock is. They don't know about the "Jimmy gimmies," or if they do, they ASSume that's still our offense (see Shannon Sharpe, and a few Jimmy Cultists who were holding out for a bit before they finally realized that Shanahan's offense is NOT dink and dunk offense, he was just adapting to the QB he had).

Adapting to the QB he hand picked and paid, would that be a fair statement?
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
If Brock has a good game against the eagles and we win, do you think that will be enough to push him ahead in the MVP race?

Push him ahead, probably not but he'll definitely put himself in the conversation. CJ Stroud stands out to me, Texans going from picking #2 in draft to possible playoff contention. I know he's a rookie but he also deserves to be talked about.

He is already in the conversation as he has the 6th best odds.

Two weeks ago he was at 6,000. Now at 1,800. Of course, that is just the bookies' view. How the actual voters respond may be quite different.

Personally, when I compare the way the KS offense operated under JG to the way it is operating now with Purdy, I am ready to hand the award to Purdy right now.

Shannon Sharpe in particular made the asinine claim that Brock throws five yard passes that go for 85 yards, when he's literally first in the entire NFL in completed AIR YARDS per pass attempt. He's even high in intended air yards per pass attempt, at 12th. What are these dudes even doing? Should they not be watching the games? smdh.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The QB he handpicked was Kirk Cousins. He just agreed to the Jimmy trade because Jimmy's release and upper body throws are ungodly looking. But NO ONE knew that Jimmy didn't read defenses post-snap well, and is probably a big part of why there were so many easy, predetermined screen throws when he was here. So no, I'd not agree to that statement. There were things about Jimmy's game that were unknown at the time of that trade. All that could be seen were that he was accurate, he had a lightning release, he ignored the rush, and he fearlessly fired into tight windows even when his feet weren't set. He has a lot of physical tools, in other words. But a linebacker brain, unfortunately.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Two things stand out:

maybe CMC will split the vote so we get the most votes, but it's split between CMC and Brock

Basically what happened in 1987 when Rice and Montana got over 50% of the total votes, but Elway won it with 43% of the votes. Even though both Rice and Montana had far better seasons than Elway did.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Two things stand out:

Basically what happened in 1987 when Rice and Montana got over 50% of the total votes, but Elway won it with 43% of the votes. Even though both Rice and Montana had far better seasons than Elway did.

that's the season that ruined NFL MVP, Rice had 23 tds in 12 games, and they gave it to a Qb with 19 pass TDs, what a joke
look at now, they are playing 17 game seasons, no one has 23 TDs, no one.. except Moss with prime Brady, and some RBs, no receiver does that..

The QB he handpicked was Kirk Cousins. He just agreed to the Jimmy trade because Jimmy's release and upper body throws are ungodly looking. But NO ONE knew that Jimmy didn't read defenses post-snap well, and is probably a big part of why there were so many easy, predetermined screen throws when he was here. So no, I'd not agree to that statement. There were things about Jimmy's game that were unknown at the time of that trade. All that could be seen were that he was accurate, he had a lightning release, he ignored the rush, and he fearlessly fired into tight windows even when his feet weren't set. He has a lot of physical tools, in other words. But a linebacker brain, unfortunately.

Okay, I'll go with your version, he adapted to the QB he closed his eyes and took a swing on, like it was a pinata..

Okay, I'll go with your version, he adapted to the QB he closed his eyes and took a swing on, like it was a pinata..

He was a first time HC early in his tenoir. Everyone makes mistakes.

i knew his arm looked better

It wasn't a mistake, we nearly won 2 SBs (19 and 21), I just don't think you can paint it as him being saddled with that QB, he chose em, and paid em the big dollars, that's part of the reality. Kind of a silly point to say KS had to adapt to the QB he hand picked, and paid record dollars to.. but this is convo, for another thread
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i knew his arm looked better

and it will keep getting stronger, as he is in the league, and getting a lot of passing reps, developing his body and fitness over the years, you work on technique also, always
Brady was throwing harder at 40 than he was in his early days
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
We need to stop being such a sensitive fan base and reacting to clowns like wright and Cohn. That's their schtick, just don't pay them any mind

Yeah, I never watch/read Cohn or Wright. That's the best way to get them to change their ways. They love it when we talk/b***h about the non sense they spout.

think of it this way. Everytime any of us say their name or watch/read their stuff, they make money. If you want them to change, stop reading/watching/talking about their takes - hit them in the wallet. Once that happens, they'll stop.

No, I mean we can react.

I mean, honestly do you think either one of them even know we exist, screen name or real name?

Possibly Cohn checks this place out or reads stuff since he covers the team. Almost guarantee Nick Wright does not.

If anything, reacting to them lets others know that they are idiots. What they do to that is on them.

I don't spend time on either one of them in terms of watching or reading. Every once in a while I'll click on something on here from Sports Illustrated knowing it's from Grant Cohn. I just typically marvel at the fact that Sports Illustrated pays this guy to write pieces at a grade school level.

But personally, if they say or do something stupid, I'll say it's stupid.

Large scale, you guys are correct for the most part. Small scale, individual level, point out that they're constantly dumb and move on.

For me anyway
I'm just saying it makes them more famous. More views. More clicks. Name recognition. Stuff like that. It's like that old saying "any publicity is good publicity".

for example, I know a lot of s**t Cohn says because of people b***hing about him in here and what he's doing. Otherwise, he isn't in my world orbit at all. Doesn't exist. Same with nick Wright. I don't watch him, read him, I purposely dknt watch his stuff - but I know his take cause people bringing them up. That's what I mean - they win, because as long as their names being mentioned and gains more recognition - it's better for them and their employer.

overall, I get what you're saying. Im just saying I think it plays on a small scale too. A lot of a little is still a lot

Maybe

Personally I'd be tempted to walk up to them and public and call them a total moron. And I'm nonconfrontational and a nice guy.

But sometimes a little "Why are you such a moron" is good for the soul. Or one can say so anyway.

I mean, I legitimately don't get why someone would want to make a living being that way. But, different strokes I suppose.

It wasn't a mistake, we nearly won 2 SBs (19 and 21), I just don't think you can paint it as him being saddled with that QB, he chose em, and paid em the big dollars, that's part of the reality. Kind of a silly point to say KS had to adapt to the QB he hand picked, and paid record dollars to.. but this is convo, for another thread

I don't hate Jimmy and I don't think he was a mistake. I thought he had some really great traits and came with a good bit of potential. We obviously won alot of games with him. Over time I just lost faith that he had developed enough of those important traits to put us over the top. Kyle being the offensive guru he is, did what any great coach would do. That is to mold an offense around your QB's strengths and try to limit the exposure of his limitations. Again, it won us alot of games. But somewhere down the line Kyle realized Jimmy hit his ceiling and it wasn't enough.
Share 49ersWebzone