LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 212 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
purdy said that he wants to take a shot deep even if it doesnt work, it shows the defense they can stretch the field

i think we've been asking this for YEARS

To think that those of us who were pushing for the threat of a deep ball got a lot of push back from some really credible posters on the zone. The threat of the deep ball changes how defenses defend you. Period.

Actually what we said was you don't throw deep just to throw deep. It needs to be with purpose and to complete the pass. Many said we should just chuck it deep just to do it.

Now just imagine what this offense could look like with an actual #1 WR who can consistently win deep.

Well when you have defenses cheating by crowding the LOS and playing press man which we faced a lot of with Jimmy at QB, you have to be able to take advantage in order to get them to back off. That was the actual argument.
purdy said that he wants to take a shot deep even if it doesnt work, it shows the defense they can stretch the field

To think that those of us who were pushing for the threat of a deep ball got a lot of push back from some really credible posters on the zone. The threat of the deep ball changes how defenses defend you. Period.

Actually what we said was you don't throw deep just to throw deep. It needs to be with purpose and to complete the pass. Many said we should just chuck it deep just to do it.

Now just imagine what this offense could look like with an actual #1 WR who can consistently win deep.

Well when you have defenses cheating by crowding the LOS and playing press man which we faced a lot of with Jimmy at QB, you have to be able to take advantage in order to get them to back off. That was the actual argument.

ya i never advocated to just keep throwing deep every down, but take a calculated shot at some point to stretch the defense and maybe complete am explosive. i think that's pretty reasonable

ya i never advocated to just keep throwing deep every down, but take a calculated shot at some point to stretch the defense and maybe complete am explosive. i think that's pretty reasonable

Well an explosive pass play is 20+ yards and Brock has the 2nd most in the NFL. Being able to threaten deep AKA 20+ yard explosives opens up the run game. The bucs have the #6 run defense in the league and were giving up 86 yards per game before Sunday. We ran for a buck fifteen and had 3 explosives on the ground.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Well an explosive pass play is 20+ yards and Brock has the 2nd most in the NFL. Being able to threaten deep AKA 20+ yard explosives opens up the run game. The bucs have the #6 run defense in the league and were giving up 86 yards per game before Sunday. We ran for a buck fifteen and had 3 explosives on the ground.

But throwing deep simply to "take a shot" doesn't get a defense to back off. You have to be able to convert. Whether Kyle wasn't calling for deep passes or Jimmy was refusing to throw them - it's because they knew they had little chance of converting.
They can convert with Brock_STAR Montana Purdy.

Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Cohns such a douche lol. If he wanted to make money being a contrarian, why the s**t did he pick the 49ers to write about?

Hasn't said anything worth merit in…. Has he ever said anything worth merit?

Probably because of his dad Lowell.

🤣🤣🤣 that checks out

Bad case of nepotism. My dad was a sports editor/ reporter and I'm not the writer he was. I'm an engineer wth math silks, the opposite. At least I know my limitations, Grant did not. His father was a pretty good writer in the 80's.

Everyone asks me if I am sports writer like my dad, I just say, I wish.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Bad case of nepotism. My dad was a sports editor/ reporter and I'm not the writer he was. I'm an engineer wth math silks, the opposite. At least I know my limitations, Grant did not. His father was a pretty good writer in the 80's.

Everyone asks me if I am sports writer like my dad, I just say, I wish.

whats your dads name
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They can convert with Brock_STAR Montana Purdy.

Big, deep and dirty, thirty Purdy

Preach, preach. Also, this guy made me laugh a few times haha. "Couldn't catch a cold? Frying pan hands?"

But throwing deep simply to "take a shot" doesn't get a defense to back off. You have to be able to convert. Whether Kyle wasn't calling for deep passes or Jimmy was refusing to throw them - it's because they knew they had little chance of converting.

Well one variable has changed and now we have that connection in spades. That one variable isn't Kyle Shanahan. Which brings this all back to the original point. This offense was limited with Jimmy at QB and Brock has made that abundantly clear.
Originally posted by Montana:

Preach, preach. Also, this guy made me laugh a few times haha. "Couldn't catch a cold? Frying pan hands?"

Frying pan hands was funny as hell. 🤣
Originally posted by Montana:

Frying pan hands was funny as hell. 🤣

I enjoy the show he does with krueg. I didn't realize the chiefs have averaged only 13 ppg the last three games and shut out all three second halves.

makes me feel better about our three game skid. Now we are about to go on a three game bender of finger blasting our opponents, Riley Reid style.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I just finished watching this about an hour ago. He kept bringing up how well the offensive line was holding up vs their 1v1's on those 5 man rushes and there seemed to be a lot of them in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone