LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 138 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I'm just happy we finally got a qb that processes so quickly and decisively the oline doesn't have to pass pro perfectly everytime for him to be successful. Just a question of how much more successful he can be if they do give him more time.

#262 lol We're all just giddy

Imagine if defenses didn't blitz him on almost half of his dropbacks (most in NFL) how much more time he would have in the pocket.

Yeah, the Bucs seemed to rush 5 a lot, Brock still good with a 158.2 lol

On that TD to Aiyuk, the Bucs brought an extra guy. I think the pendulum might swing back to defense put more guys in coverage see if Brock holds the ball longer for their rushers to get there.

I am pretty sure we have seen that already. Brock was the 15th highest blitzed QB last season and that was with the blitz heavy dolphins and bucs games. I think defenses have had enough of giving him time in the pocket. Hence the ridiculously high blitz rate this season. Defenses just cannot win.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
purdy said that he wants to take a shot deep even if it doesnt work, it shows the defense they can stretch the field

i think we've been asking this for YEARS

To think that those of us who were pushing for the threat of a deep ball got a lot of push back from some really credible posters on the zone. The threat of the deep ball changes how defenses defend you. Period.

Actually what we said was you don't throw deep just to throw deep. It needs to be with purpose and to complete the pass. Many said we should just chuck it deep just to do it.

Now just imagine what this offense could look like with an actual #1 WR who can consistently win deep.

Well when you have defenses cheating by crowding the LOS and playing press man which we faced a lot of with Jimmy at QB, you have to be able to take advantage in order to get them to back off. That was the actual argument.

ya i never advocated to just keep throwing deep every down, but take a calculated shot at some point to stretch the defense and maybe complete am explosive. i think that's pretty reasonable

Well an explosive pass play is 20+ yards and Brock has the 2nd most in the NFL. Being able to threaten deep AKA 20+ yard explosives opens up the run game. The bucs have the #6 run defense in the league and were giving up 86 yards per game before Sunday. We ran for a buck fifteen and had 3 explosives on the ground.

But throwing deep simply to "take a shot" doesn't get a defense to back off. You have to be able to convert. Whether Kyle wasn't calling for deep passes or Jimmy was refusing to throw them - it's because they knew they had little chance of converting.

I think it's more of jimmy's refusing to throw them. Maybe one of the major reasons the team got rid of him, he's too one dimensional. With Purdy, it seems he's done what most QB's haven't really been doing with their career in football- the ultimate commitment of working your as$ off to reach perfection. Purdy, seems to be spending the most hours in studying, preparing, creating and discovering more possibilities on how improve and maximize his strengths and potential. Also, I'm not discounting the possibility that Purdy has probably higher IQ and more mentally matured and developed football wise than the most. So that and his commitment and sacrifice produces positive results.

The major reason is he missed 2 of 3 seasons, and the team suffered when out, made the SB when active. Missing 2 of 3 years is unacceptable. Need reliability at that spot.
I'm just happy we finally got a qb that processes so quickly and decisively the oline doesn't have to pass pro perfectly everytime for him to be successful. Just a question of how much more successful he can be if they do give him more time.

Imagine if defenses didn't blitz him on almost half of his dropbacks (most in NFL) how much more time he would have in the pocket.

Blitzing plays right into the hands of a QB that can recognize the blitz and process quickly. Blitzes leave someone open and good QBs always seem to know where that open man is. If you don't disguise the blitz well the offense can see it coming and pick it up. In the end all you're doing is taking one pass defender out of the picture.
thankful for #13
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Blitzing plays right into the hands of a QB that can recognize the blitz and process quickly. Blitzes leave someone open and good QBs always seem to know where that open man is. If you don't disguise the blitz well the offense can see it coming and pick it up. In the end all you're doing is taking one pass defender out of the picture.

Yes. I understand the schematical advantage of it. But 12 of our 20 sacks have come on the blitz and only 9 of our 20 sacks have been charged to an O lineman. Which tells me that the sacks have been more about scheme than they have been about the quality of pass pro by our O lineman.
purdy said that he wants to take a shot deep even if it doesnt work, it shows the defense they can stretch the field

To think that those of us who were pushing for the threat of a deep ball got a lot of push back from some really credible posters on the zone. The threat of the deep ball changes how defenses defend you. Period.

Actually what we said was you don't throw deep just to throw deep. It needs to be with purpose and to complete the pass. Many said we should just chuck it deep just to do it.

Now just imagine what this offense could look like with an actual #1 WR who can consistently win deep.

Well when you have defenses cheating by crowding the LOS and playing press man which we faced a lot of with Jimmy at QB, you have to be able to take advantage in order to get them to back off. That was the actual argument.

ya i never advocated to just keep throwing deep every down, but take a calculated shot at some point to stretch the defense and maybe complete am explosive. i think that's pretty reasonable

Well an explosive pass play is 20+ yards and Brock has the 2nd most in the NFL. Being able to threaten deep AKA 20+ yard explosives opens up the run game. The bucs have the #6 run defense in the league and were giving up 86 yards per game before Sunday. We ran for a buck fifteen and had 3 explosives on the ground.

But throwing deep simply to "take a shot" doesn't get a defense to back off. You have to be able to convert. Whether Kyle wasn't calling for deep passes or Jimmy was refusing to throw them - it's because they knew they had little chance of converting.

A lot of posters claimed the lack of deep shots was either by design/how kyle wanted his scheme to look or due to lack of personnel. Purdy comes in and immediately shows neither of those answers were correct IMO.

Aiyuk may not be a top deep threat in the league, but he's always been capable of running deeper routes. Which is something I argued repeatedly and last week showed that that he's perfectly capable.

I always believed that if Kyle had no trust in Jimmy to throw deep, that was hurting the offense. Which is why I pounded the table for his replacement. If he did have confidence, he would have thrown those types of passes more and we wouldn't have needed an upgrade because Jimmy was very good at throwing the short to intermediate routes.

I'm glad we have a QB now that can make a variety of throws.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Yes. I understand the schematical advantage of it. But 12 of our 20 sacks have come on the blitz and only 9 of our 20 sacks have been charged to an O lineman. Which tells me that the sacks have been more about scheme than they have been about the quality of pass pro by our O lineman.

That makes sense. The D makes plays too. You aren't going to pick every blitz and make eery block. There are just some QBs that recognize them quickly and word gets around eventually that you don't want to blitz them. I suspect that may happen with Purdy. He wins more with his eyes and brain than he does with his arm and legs.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

greatest noodle armed cog of All Time, bar none

Originally posted by Montana:

Preach, preach. Also, this guy made me laugh a few times haha. "Couldn't catch a cold? Frying pan hands?"

Yeah that's true of course.
Originally posted by tankle104:

He throws touchdowns and wins games.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

Well one variable has changed and now we have that connection in spades. That one variable isn't Kyle Shanahan. Which brings this all back to the original point. This offense was limited with Jimmy at QB and Brock has made that abundantly clear.

Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.
Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

Why stop there though? Jimmy G's parents birthed him, so isn't it their fault? Come on dude lol. We get it, Jimmy didn't "ask" to be the Niners QB. I'm also not laying all of the blame on him. I have said numerous times that a QB and coach have to mesh and complement each other. Clearly Kyle and Jimmy did not. It's amazing we had as much success as we did, with as bad of a pair that they were. That's a testament to both of them. But it wasn't enough.
Share 49ersWebzone