LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 160 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

I also stated in a previous post that Jimmy came here with a few elite attributes and a lot of potential. You have to take that and the fact that Jimmy was a top FA when asking yourself why Kyle and John signed him to a huge contract. It was up to Jimmy to develop into the QB we thought he could be. He had some glaring limitations that he never seemed to work on getting bettet at. Perhaps because of the injuries but I wouldn't blame that all on the injuries. Guess what true leaders do? They recognize their mistake, mitigate the negatives and move the hell on. I think Kyle did a good job with that. But enough about Jimmy. This is Brock's thread.
Why stop there though? Jimmy G's parents birthed him, so isn't it their fault? Come on dude lol. We get it, Jimmy didn't "ask" to be the Niners QB. I'm also not laying all of the blame on him. I have said numerous times that a QB and coach have to mesh and complement each other. Clearly Kyle and Jimmy did not. It's amazing we had as much success as we did, with as bad of a pair that they were. That's a testament to both of them. But it wasn't enough.

Lol get real, you are losing the plot here.. .
If Kyle and JG didn't compliment as you say, it's 100% on the guy who acquired, why acquire a guy who doesn't mesh with your system? It's like a common saying, let the buyer beware, if you buy the wrong part for your car, don't blame the part
Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

Why stop there though? Jimmy G's parents birthed him, so isn't it their fault? Come on dude lol. We get it, Jimmy didn't "ask" to be the Niners QB. I'm also not laying all of the blame on him. I have said numerous times that a QB and coach have to mesh and complement each other. Clearly Kyle and Jimmy did not. It's amazing we had as much success as we did, with as bad of a pair that they were. That's a testament to both of them. But it wasn't enough.

I don't think Jimmy was a bad fit here. His style with his quick release was utilized well with players like Deebo and Kittle. I just think the offense could evolve to be more well rounded. Which is what we're seeing with Purdy.

I mean, we saw glimpses of it with Mullens, except Mullens wasn't nearly the player that Purdy and Jimmy were.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Yep. No brainer
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

If Kyle and JG didn't compliment as you say, it's 100% on the guy who acquired, why acquire a guy who doesn't mesh with your system? It's like a common saying, let the buyer beware, if you buy the wrong part for your car, don't blame the part

You can't possibly know if a QB and coach are going to mesh before acquiring them. That is revealed throughout the process of developing the QB, the QB learning the system, playing in games together, etc.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I don't think Jimmy was a bad fit here. His style with his quick release was utilized well with players like Deebo and Kittle. I just think the offense could evolve to be more well rounded. Which is what we're seeing with Purdy.

I mean, we saw glimpses of it with Mullens, except Mullens wasn't nearly the player that Purdy and Jimmy were.

I agree, I think JG did good things here, and we nearly won 2 SBs, up 10 in the SB, and the NFCCG

on the talent acquisition front, go back and view who we had on O in 2017 and 2019, watch those highlights, it's some random clowns, or a 33 y/o E Sanders off an Achilles without an offseason to integrate. The talent level now is off the charts, by comparison. Now we see high end QB play with elite playcalling and all world talent, takes me back to the 90s.

It doesn't matter if he picked JG, JG still held us back.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

They made it work, but it was not a good match in my opinion. Jimmy simply wasn't willing to tell Kyle to shove it and make plays outside of structure. Didn't help that he seemed to make 1-2 bonehead throws a game.

You can't possibly know if a QB and coach are going to mesh before acquiring them. That is revealed throughout the process of developing the QB, the QB learning the system, playing in games together, etc.

I would argue it's your job to know, if you are a NFL talent evaluator, such as KS, who buys the groceries on O, that's the job (a big part of it, anyway)
sure there is no guarantees in life, or in future events, but talent evaluation is a skill, I don't know if KS has it, at the QB spot, (see Lance, Trey)
but thank goodness we landed BP and Griese played a big role there, who KS hired for that purpose, of developing and indeed scouting late round QBs
home run hire, in Griese
Like a true Jimmy fanboy. Blaming all of Jimmy's shortcomings on the guy who gave him a shot.

LOL

LOL

I would argue it's your job to know, if you are a NFL talent evaluator, such as KS, who buys the groceries on O, that's the job (a big part of it, anyway)
sure there is no guarantees in life, or in future events, but talent evaluation is a skill, I don't know if KS has it, at the QB spot, (see Lance, Trey)
but thank goodness we landed BP and Griese played a big role there, who KS hired for that purpose, of developing and indeed scouting late round QBs
home run hire, in Griese
there's no guarantees with talent evaluation either. stop acting like it's full proof because it's not.

and you can't knock him for JG and disregard he picked BP.. lol
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

LOL

I remember when you LOL'd at my KC D is legit take, in the offseason
you get one of these
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

LOL

I remember when you LOL'd at my KC D is legit take, in the offseason
you get one of these

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.

And for the record, I never disagreed that KC's defense was good. Your take was they were better than the offense. So yeah congrats. You got that one right.
Share 49ersWebzone