Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Sooo... back to the topic at hand.

Brock Purdy. Already the best last pick in the draft of all time?

The thing was, if you say Purdy is the best last pick of all time, well where did Purdy come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle drafted him for him, and got rid of other QBs for him.. so if you feel Brock is the best ever, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's hit or miss as a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to help fix that, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

Everyone can be considered hit or miss as an evaluator or whisperer as you put it. I think as long as you can show you can do it then you're good in my book. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you have a turd then there is only so much polishing you can do to that turd.

For example Kris Kocurek is considered a great d line coach and d line whisperer as he should be. But he couldn't get Solomon Thomas to look good.

Yeah like with Lance also, there was no magic wand for KS to make him look good, believe me, Kyle tried..
the error is in evaluation,
JG and TL were the big ticket gets for Kyle
BP more of a late round flyer, with Lynch crediting Slowik, Griese, Kubiak on their process.. Course with no KS, you have no Slowik, Griese, or Kubiak, they all go back to Papa Shanny tree..
why do you leave out the Lynch sold KS on JG and TL ?

good one!
how is it false ?
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The problem is the talking heads didn't even watch our games then, let alone now. They have no idea that Jimmy was much more carried by this team than Brock is. They don't know about the "Jimmy gimmies," or if they do, they ASSume that's still our offense (see Shannon Sharpe, and a few Jimmy Cultists who were holding out for a bit before they finally realized that Shanahan's offense is NOT dink and dunk offense, he was just adapting to the QB he had).

Adapting to the QB he hand picked and paid, would that be a fair statement?

The QB he handpicked was Kirk Cousins. He just agreed to the Jimmy trade because Jimmy's release and upper body throws are ungodly looking. But NO ONE knew that Jimmy didn't read defenses post-snap well, and is probably a big part of why there were so many easy, predetermined screen throws when he was here. So no, I'd not agree to that statement. There were things about Jimmy's game that were unknown at the time of that trade. All that could be seen were that he was accurate, he had a lightning release, he ignored the rush, and he fearlessly fired into tight windows even when his feet weren't set. He has a lot of physical tools, in other words. But a linebacker brain, unfortunately.

Okay, I'll go with your version, he adapted to the QB he closed his eyes and took a swing on, like it was a pinata..

Almost fair. It's not unreasonable to project a guy that you to improve. But yeah that's closer.

EDIT: there's always the undiscussed possibility that Jimmy just stopped caring as much after he got the bag. Or perhaps maybe after he might have felt thrown under the bus after the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Nov 22, 2023 at 11:33 AM ]

The thing was, if you say Purdy is the best last pick of all time, well where did Purdy come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle drafted him for him, and got rid of other QBs for him.. so if you feel Brock is the best ever, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's hit or miss as a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to help fix that, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

Everyone can be considered hit or miss as an evaluator or whisperer as you put it. I think as long as you can show you can do it then you're good in my book. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you have a turd then there is only so much polishing you can do to that turd.

For example Kris Kocurek is considered a great d line coach and d line whisperer as he should be. But he couldn't get Solomon Thomas to look good.

Yeah like with Lance also, there was no magic wand for KS to make him look good, believe me, Kyle tried..
BP more of a late round flyer, with Lynch crediting Slowik, Griese, Kubiak on their process.. Course with no KS, you have no Slowik, Griese, or Kubiak, they all go back to Papa Shanny tree..

good one!
how is it false ?

well, you wrote it, for starters
Always the same posters talking about Jimmy in the Purdy thread. Rehashing the same arguments that could go in the Jimmy thread.

At this point it's a disservice to compare Purdy to Jimmy. We need to compare him to upper echelon QBs.

I wonder if Texans fans are still comparing Stroud to David Mills? lol

good one!
how is it false ?

U can't be this ignorant
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Always the same posters talking about Jimmy in the Purdy thread. Rehashing the same arguments that could go in the Jimmy thread.

At this point it's a disservice to compare Purdy to Jimmy. We need to compare him to upper echelon QBs.

amen brother, we need that 10k
Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
gonna continue to lie to myself and keep with the story that we traded 3 first rounders to put us in position to draft Brock Purdy who is currently statistically the best QB playing right at this moment and took a flier on Trey Lance, a high ceiling prospect who never reached it but it ended up all working out in the end.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

x2
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

amen brother, we need that 10k

Yeah, knock yourselves out lol

good one!
how is it false ?

then you should take it as gold

good one!
how is it false ?

then you should take it as gold

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by tankle104:

I just finished watching this about an hour ago. He kept bringing up how well the offensive line was holding up vs their 1v1's on those 5 man rushes and there seemed to be a lot of them in the game.

Seems like the Bucs tried to do a lot of stunts, with the fifth man, on those rushes. They doubled teamed properly and then closed off the gap.

im still really interested in seeing Banks back at LG and then Feliciano at RG. I think burford is our weakest link. I feel like if the RG played better, it would help mckivitz and the Center a lot. But idk, I'm not a pro at the o line stuff.

There were several times in that video where it was 1v1. 5 rushers vs 5 lineman.

I know, I saw a handful of those. I wasn't saying that didn't happen. I was really just thinking out loud in here. Lol

anyone know what the avg time to throw before being pressured was for Brock last game? He was under a tremendous amount of pressure in the jags game but still balled.

He had an average of 3.20 seconds before being pressured. However, he was blitzed on 71% of his dropbacks.

Hmm I find interesting. I think if you have at least 3 seconds before you're pressured - then the O line did their job.

but I think part of the pressure numbers comes from the playaction/longer developing plays that we often run. These chunk plays take a while to develop.

I just finished watching this about an hour ago. He kept bringing up how well the offensive line was holding up vs their 1v1's on those 5 man rushes and there seemed to be a lot of them in the game.

Seems like the Bucs tried to do a lot of stunts, with the fifth man, on those rushes. They doubled teamed properly and then closed off the gap.

im still really interested in seeing Banks back at LG and then Feliciano at RG. I think burford is our weakest link. I feel like if the RG played better, it would help mckivitz and the Center a lot. But idk, I'm not a pro at the o line stuff.

There were several times in that video where it was 1v1. 5 rushers vs 5 lineman.

I know, I saw a handful of those. I wasn't saying that didn't happen. I was really just thinking out loud in here. Lol

anyone know what the avg time to throw before being pressured was for Brock last game? He was under a tremendous amount of pressure in the jags game but still balled.

He had an average of 3.20 seconds before being pressured. However, he was blitzed on 71% of his dropbacks.

Hmm I find interesting. I think if you have at least 3 seconds before you're pressured - then the O line did their job.

but I think part of the pressure numbers comes from the playaction/longer developing plays that we often run. These chunk plays take a while to develop.

That's fine since blitzes and playaction passing plays probably balance each other out when it comes to TTT.
Our boy won NFC offensive player of the week!

yessir.. onward and upward

he has a chance on a personal level, to become a Montana / Young,
put up elite performances on SEA 2x and PHI, and vault his way into MVP and us into a top seed

what a time to be a 49er

And FedEx Air NFL Player of the week.

I mean, how could he not win it with that performance?
Share 49ersWebzone