LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 160 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Our boy won NFC offensive player of the week!

And FedEx Air NFL Player of the week.

I mean, how could he not win it with that performance?

He should've been at the very least a nominee last week.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

I think getting so clearly called out last week by head ball coach, took away any last week honors,
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I think getting so clearly called out last week by head ball coach, took away any last week honors,

Beating a top tier team, on a 5 game winning streak, in their house. Putting up 296 yds, 3 tds, 148.9 rating
Overshadowed by Kyles comments

Beating a top tier team, on a 5 game winning streak, in their house. Putting up 296 yds, 3 tds, 148.9 rating

let the other guys have a week or so, BP won it this more recent game, which was a better game, probably his best yet

let the other guys have a week or so, BP won it this more recent game, which was a better game, probably his best yet
Still think he should've been at the very least nominated. Threw for 37 less yards but against a tougher team and environment.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

Excuse me for joining this part of the discussion late. (turkey prep)

I don't think we should be quite so quick to say KS can't pick a QB. I believe Kyle has always had an image in his mind of the type of QB he wants. The problem was, he hadn't found the guy that fit his mental image. It reminds me of that saying about looking for a perfect wife, "I don't really know what she will look like but I will know her when I see her."

In each one of the QBs he has had since he has been here, KS had a specific reason for choosing that guy. We've talked about all that ad nauseum. In the end, none of them fit the eye test for Kyle. Now Purdy comes in and from the beginning of training camp last year, Purdy was passing the eye test in performance. He doesn't have Lance's arm, or Beathard's durability, or Jimmy's lightning fast release, but he does all the things Kyle has dreamed about a QB doing. Kyle knew it when he saw it.

Now we know it also.
Fed Ex Air Player of the week.

143. 4 rating (or close) 2 games ago
154.3 rating (or close) last game vs Bucs…a perfect qB rating score
Fed Ex player of the week
Led team to 7-3 going into game 11.
Playing after UCL surgery following NFCCG last yr
Has rapidly become one of team's leaders and is respected by vets like #71 and #97 , plus Aiyuk, #85, MCC, Juaun, #44 et al.

So why does Brock seem so "ordinary", so effortless (seems that way), and is leading all QBs (or at the top) in QBR, % completions, few INTs, and so on? What exactly is going on that he just doesn't seem to get rattled, is calm, and brother can he ever read a D?

Probably is a combination of started 48 games (or thereabouts) over 4 yrs in Big 10 at Iowa State, making him comfortable in big games before huge crowds, with great collegiate coaching, has terrific hand-eye coordination, is fearless in midst of a collapsing pocket, only looks downfield and not at the pack of guys trying to pummel him. He definitely has some of that Joe-second-sense, when he can feel somebody about to nail him from blind spot, and has played enough big boy football to know when to take off and usually finds that 1st down marker.

Still, altho the above may be true, he also has that laid back demeanor (meant in a good way), so that it appears nothing seems to bother him, and altho nobody will ever match Joe Cool, Purdy is making us think about it…a bit, anyway. I'll ask this: Does anybody among 49er fans when watching him, start thinking…maybe a tiny bit…about #16? I'm not there yet because as has been said multiple times, "Hey he's only played a season so far…let's see where he is 2 yrs from now." There's a lot of truth in that, but when i watch Brock, he just doesn't stand out like Joe did. But he is playing lites out and that's what we all care about. There is commonality between # 16 and #13 in that neither is/was a show boat, neither was a rah rah guy, but both were/ are great leaders (yes, it's only been almost 17 games but still, the guy is a leader).

We were blessed with Joe, and to have another cast from the same mold…that would be hard to believe. But the more we watch, the more one could sort of imagine not a carbon copy of Joe, but certainly Joe-like. The fact he is affable, doesn't brag or showboat…that part is definitely Montana like. As for reading Ds…for a kid with only a season under his belt, he definitely has the Montana D reading ability. He can't throw it 90 yards while on his knees, but who the heck wants that? He throws a really nice ball, and is not a dip and dunk thrower. Sure he can throw quick outs or slants but he has a really nice long ball which we have seen 3x in last two games, so now Opponents have to worry about the deep ball also. In short, we were stumble down lucky to snag Brock at #262 after passing on him 6 times. But 31 other teams passed on him 7 times and there are 31 other F.Os wondering just How in the world they passed on him…in every round? Brock's ability to play at the highest level , yet at the end of the game, not seem like one of the top QBs in the NFL… that is his remarkable trait. Effortless…altho we all know it is anything but that.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 22, 2023 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
143. 4 rating (or close) 2 games ago
154.3 rating (or close) last game vs Bucs…a perfect qB rating score
Fed Ex player of the week
Led team to 7-3 going into game 11.
Playing after UCL surgery following NFCCG last yr
Has rapidly become one of team's leaders and is respected by vets like #71 and #97 , plus Aiyuk, #85, MCC, Juaun, #44 et al.

So why does Brock seem so "ordinary", so effortless (seems that way), and is leading all QBs (or at the top) in QBR, % completions, few INTs, and so on? What exactly is going on that he just doesn't seem to get rattled, is calm, and brother can he ever read a D?

Probably is a combination of started 48 games (or thereabouts) over 4 yrs in Big 10 at Iowa State, making him comfortable in big games before huge crowds, with great collegiate coaching, has terrific hand-eye coordination, is fearless in midst of a collapsing pocket, only looks downfield and not at the pack of guys trying to pummel him. He definitely has some of that Joe-second-sense, when he can feel somebody about to nail him from blind spot, and has played enough big boy football to know when to take off and usually finds that 1st down marker.

Still, altho the above may be true, he also has that laid back demeanor (meant in a good way), so that it appears nothing seems to bother him, and altho nobody will ever match Joe Cool, Purdy is making us think about it…a bit, anyway. I'll ask this: Does anybody among 49er fans when watching him, start thinking…maybe a tiny bit…about #16? I'm not there yet because as has been said multiple times, "Hey he's only played a season so far…let's see where he is 2 yrs from now." There's a lot of truth in that, but when i watch Brock, he just doesn't stand out like Joe did. But he is playing lites out and that's what we all care about. There is commonality between # 16 and #13 in that neither is/was a show boat, neither was a rah rah guy, but both were/ are great leaders (yes, it's only been almost 17 games but still, the guy is a leader).

We were blessed with Joe, and to have another cast from the same mold…that would be hard to believe. But the more we watch, the more one could sort of imagine not a carbon copy of Joe, but certainly Joe-like. The fact he is affable, doesn't brag or showboat…that part is definitely Montana like. As for reading Ds…for a kid with only a season under his belt, he definitely has the Montana D reading ability. He can't throw it 90 yards while on his knees, but who the heck wants that? He throws a really nice ball, and is not a dip and dunk thrower. Sure he can throw quick outs or slants but he has a really nice long ball which we have seen 3x in last two games, so now Opponents have to worry about the deep ball also. In short, we were stumble down lucky to snag Brock at #262 after passing on him 6 times. But 31 other teams passed on him 7 times and there are 31 other F.Os wondering just How in the world they passed on him…in every round? Brock's ability to play at the highest level , yet at the end of the game, not seem like one of the top QBs in the NFL… that is his remarkable trait. Effortless…altho we all know it is anything but that.

now this is a post
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Yep

the bunny hop dropback
now this is a post

What he say?
Originally posted by dj43:
Oh so you're just saying "I told you so" one more time? All good lol. I don't think anyone is still holding onto the "Kyle is holding the offense back" mantra anymore. But I say again what I've been saying, which is that it's not just ability, but willingness on the QB's part to push the envelope and do things that the coach/playcaller may not exactly want. Especially with a control freak like Kyle. Jimmy was physically limited AND too "nice" to do that. His best stints in SF were in 2017 when he didn't know the playbook and was just letting it fly, and last year when he finally go mad and said F this and started letting it fly again.

Purdy has the perfect mindset and aggressiveness for a conservative and controlling coach like Kyle. Add in superior athletic and throwing ability, and the results speak for themselves.

The thing was, if you say JG was 'holding us back' well where did JG come from, he didn't just show up and name himself the QB1, Kyle traded for him, and paid him the record bucks.. so if you feel JG was holding us back, that's a reflection on who selects the QBs, and we saw that also with TL. Kyle's elite with the playsheet, he's not a QB evaluator or whisperer, imo. This is pretty clear. He did hire Griese to fix that blind spot, and Griese played a big role in the scouting, development of BP. That's another KS strength, surrounding himself with great ppl.

I don't think we should be quite so quick to say KS can't pick a QB. I believe Kyle has always had an image in his mind of the type of QB he wants. The problem was, he hadn't found the guy that fit his mental image. It reminds me of that saying about looking for a perfect wife, "I don't really know what she will look like but I will know her when I see her."

In each one of the QBs he has had since he has been here, KS had a specific reason for choosing that guy. We've talked about all that ad nauseum. In the end, none of them fit the eye test for Kyle. Now Purdy comes in and from the beginning of training camp last year, Purdy was passing the eye test in performance. He doesn't have Lance's arm, or Beathard's durability, or Jimmy's lightning fast release, but he does all the things Kyle has dreamed about a QB doing. Kyle knew it when he saw it.

Now we know it also.

I'll post this again since a few people want to forget

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/john-lynch-kyle-shanahan-was-initially-in-mourning-after-jimmy-garoppolo-trade

49ers General Manager John Lynch said in an interview with ESPN Radio that Shanahan was initially "in mourning" following the trade.

"For Kyle, I think the thing I would tell people is we made the trade and then there were some days that Kyle Shanahan was like in mourning, because I think everybody knows his master plan was to have Kirk Cousins come in eventually," Lynch said, via WEEI.

They have an actual press conference as well where this is discussed, and this was all Lynch's idea and had to talk Kyle into it. People need to stop with this bs that Kyle chose Jimmy
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Nov 22, 2023 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the bunny hop dropback

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by dj43:

Now we know it also.

I'll post this again since a few people want to forget

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/john-lynch-kyle-shanahan-was-initially-in-mourning-after-jimmy-garoppolo-trade

49ers General Manager John Lynch said in an interview with ESPN Radio that Shanahan was initially "in mourning" following the trade.

"For Kyle, I think the thing I would tell people is we made the trade and then there were some days that Kyle Shanahan was like in mourning, because I think everybody knows his master plan was to have Kirk Cousins come in eventually," Lynch said, via WEEI.

They have an actual press conference as well where this is discussed, and this was all Lynch's idea and had to talk Kyle into it. People need to stop with this bs that Kyle chose Jimmy

Kyle accepted the reality that Cousins wouldn't be coming for at least a year, if then. If he truly did not want Jimmy and was willing to live a year with Mullins/Beathard, he would have vetoed the deal. After all, Kyle hired Lynch, not the other way around. Nothing happens the KS does not approve.
Share 49ersWebzone