LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 169 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
I don't think that was an unfair point of view to have taken. Dude is surpassing all expectations.

Jury has come back. He's something special.

Maybe not an unfair view, but it was a pretty pointless one in the context of those arguments.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
The problem here is that people are comparing different moments in time as if the same level of information was available in each moment and opinions are static.

Just because he might have been skeptical of a trade for Jimmy in '17, as was reported, didn't mean he felt the same way in the '19 offseason. It would be nonsensical to not reevaluate things with new information. Same thing from the 19 offseason to the 20 offseason, where he did finally move to replace him.

Not just that but Miami was punished for tampering and it seems Vegas was also all in outside of Gruden. The assumption was always Brady wanted to come back but there were never any substantiated reports like with Vegas and Miami.

Unless he was gonna magically prevent injuries though I don't see how he makes a difference in 2020.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 22, 2023 at 5:01 PM ]
Not just that but Miami was punished for tampering and it seems Vegas was also all in outside of Gruden. The assumption was always Brady wanted to come back but there were never any substantiated reports like with Vegas and Miami.

Unless he was gonna magically prevent injuries though I don't see how he makes a difference in 2020.

Even forgetting the possibility of signing Brady it stands to reason that Kyle wouldn't have necessarily been out on Jimmy G at that time. The team almost won the SB with him, he had stayed healthy and played fairly well for the bulk of the season, and it was his first full year playing for the team coming off a major injury. It's reasonable to assume you could build on that performance. Another year showed us he couldn't stay healthy and when he did play it would be easy to argue that not only did he not improve, but he may have regressed.
Even forgetting the possibility of signing Brady it stands to reason that Kyle wouldn't have necessarily been out on Jimmy G at that time. The team almost won the SB with him, he had stayed healthy and played fairly well for the bulk of the season, and it was his first full year playing for the team coming off a major injury. It's reasonable to assume you could build on that performance. Another year showed us he couldn't stay healthy and when he did play it would be easy to argue that not only did he not improve, but he may have regressed.

Absolutely. His confidence clearly regressed. That Arizona performance week 1 was abysmal.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 22, 2023 at 5:06 PM ]
Absolutely. His confidence clearly regressed. That Arizona performance week 1 was abysmal.

That AZ game started off so well too, lol. He hit that huge RAC TD to Mostert IIRC.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Nov 22, 2023 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
What's wild is some where saying that Brock's TD% would come down to earth but it's leading the league 11 weeks into the season. Lol insane.

I don't think that was an unfair point of view to have taken. Dude is surpassing all expectations.

I don't either, I expected it to come down some. I thought it would still be high (relatively) but not where it is. It's really impressive, speaks volumes about his efficiency executing the offense, IMO.

Maybe not an unfair view, but it was a pretty pointless one in the context of those arguments.

If I remember correctly, some where using it as a way to say he won't maintain what we saw and will "come back to earth". Which is weird because even if he was a whole point lower, it would be really good.

is the TD% stat calculated of "completed passes" or "overall pass attempts"? Because fields led the league in that stat last year, which we all know he wasn't great, specifically accuracy - 60%.

so to me, it's impressive that Brock has that league leading TD% AND is leading the league in completion. That really defines his efficiency, IMO. There's more you can add, like leading the league in YPA etc.

to me, that's when stats like TD% because useful, have to use it within the context of the entire performance.

it's like fields this year has 12 passing TDs, not bad but not great, what's really not good is that they've all come in like 3 games. Lol - not efficient or consistent at all.
If I remember correctly, some where using it as a way to say he won't maintain what we saw and will "come back to earth". Which is weird because even if he was a whole point lower, it would be really good.

is the TD% stat calculated of "completed passes" or "overall pass attempts"? Because fields led the league in that stat last year, which we all know he wasn't great, specifically accuracy - 60%.

so to me, it's impressive that Brock has that league leading TD% AND is leading the league in completion. That really defines his efficiency, IMO. There's more you can add, like leading the league in YPA etc.

to me, that's when stats like TD% because useful, have to use it within the context of the entire performance.

it's like fields this year has 12 passing TDs, not bad but not great, what's really not good is that they've all come in like 3 games. Lol - not efficient or consistent at all.

I was alluding to the point that his TD percentage could come down and it wouldn't necessarily indicate much about how well he's playing the position. Obviously a good QB is going to put a team in position to score touchdowns but it's also going to depend on circumstances in games and be impacted by the performance of teammates as well as play selection.

I was alluding to the point that his TD percentage could come down and it wouldn't necessarily indicate much about how well he's playing the position. Obviously a good QB is going to put a team in position to score touchdowns but it's also going to depend on circumstances in games and be impacted by the performance of teammates as well as play selection.

Yeah, it would be like Brock dominating all the way down the field and then we run it in with a RB, his TD% goes down but does it mean he's worse because he didn't get the TD? Even though he's playing well and the offense is scoring, right?

Yeah, it would be like Brock dominating all the way down the field and then we run it in with a RB, his TD% goes down but does it mean he's worse because he didn't get the TD? Even though he's playing well and the offense is scoring, right?

ya that's why i have a problem with people using QB TD as an indicator for QB success

i remember on ESPN someone was saying Lamar only had like 10 or something at the time and he isn't looking good but they lead the league in rushing TDs and are right behind us in ppg so they are clearly scoring and moving the ball well despite Lamar not having as may passing TDs

Originally posted by ritz126:
ya that's why i have a problem with people using QB TD as an indicator for QB success

i remember on ESPN someone was saying Lamar only had like 10 or something at the time and he isn't looking good but they lead the league in rushing TDs and are right behind us in ppg so they are clearly scoring and moving the ball well despite Lamar not having as may passing TDs

Yea it's a good example. Stats need context if someone is going to use them to better understand what is happening.

Lol
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the bunny hop dropback

Still look better than Phillip Rivers on his best drop back days
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Boom!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
143. 4 rating (or close) 2 games ago
154.3 rating (or close) last game vs Bucs…a perfect qB rating score
Fed Ex player of the week
Led team to 7-3 going into game 11.
Playing after UCL surgery following NFCCG last yr
Has rapidly become one of team's leaders and is respected by vets like #71 and #97 , plus Aiyuk, #85, MCC, Juaun, #44 et al.

So why does Brock seem so "ordinary", so effortless (seems that way), and is leading all QBs (or at the top) in QBR, % completions, few INTs, and so on? What exactly is going on that he just doesn't seem to get rattled, is calm, and brother can he ever read a D?

Probably is a combination of started 48 games (or thereabouts) over 4 yrs in Big 10 at Iowa State, making him comfortable in big games before huge crowds, with great collegiate coaching, has terrific hand-eye coordination, is fearless in midst of a collapsing pocket, only looks downfield and not at the pack of guys trying to pummel him. He definitely has some of that Joe-second-sense, when he can feel somebody about to nail him from blind spot, and has played enough big boy football to know when to take off and usually finds that 1st down marker.

Still, altho the above may be true, he also has that laid back demeanor (meant in a good way), so that it appears nothing seems to bother him, and altho nobody will ever match Joe Cool, Purdy is making us think about it…a bit, anyway. I'll ask this: Does anybody among 49er fans when watching him, start thinking…maybe a tiny bit…about #16? I'm not there yet because as has been said multiple times, "Hey he's only played a season so far…let's see where he is 2 yrs from now." There's a lot of truth in that, but when i watch Brock, he just doesn't stand out like Joe did. But he is playing lites out and that's what we all care about. There is commonality between # 16 and #13 in that neither is/was a show boat, neither was a rah rah guy, but both were/ are great leaders (yes, it's only been almost 17 games but still, the guy is a leader).

We were blessed with Joe, and to have another cast from the same mold…that would be hard to believe. But the more we watch, the more one could sort of imagine not a carbon copy of Joe, but certainly Joe-like. The fact he is affable, doesn't brag or showboat…that part is definitely Montana like. As for reading Ds…for a kid with only a season under his belt, he definitely has the Montana D reading ability. He can't throw it 90 yards while on his knees, but who the heck wants that? He throws a really nice ball, and is not a dip and dunk thrower. Sure he can throw quick outs or slants but he has a really nice long ball which we have seen 3x in last two games, so now Opponents have to worry about the deep ball also. In short, we were stumble down lucky to snag Brock at #262 after passing on him 6 times. But 31 other teams passed on him 7 times and there are 31 other F.Os wondering just How in the world they passed on him…in every round? Brock's ability to play at the highest level , yet at the end of the game, not seem like one of the top QBs in the NFL… that is his remarkable trait. Effortless…altho we all know it is anything but that.

now this is a post

Sure is!

*quietly adding it to my spank bank*
Good insightful post on Purdy. The only thing he needs to show us is to lead a game winning drive. He has come close but has yet to do it. With Joe it was almost a given. Other than that, Brock has a calmness and awareness that does remind me of Joe and I am glad he plays for the Crimson & Gold!!!! Who knows what the future holds but I sure am happy to watch him play and look forward to where he can take the Niners. The kid is fun to watch play!!!!!!! Go 49ers!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone