Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
143. 4 rating (or close) 2 games ago
154.3 rating (or close) last game vs Bucs…a perfect qB rating score
Fed Ex player of the week
Led team to 7-3 going into game 11.
Playing after UCL surgery following NFCCG last yr
Has rapidly become one of team's leaders and is respected by vets like #71 and #97 , plus Aiyuk, #85, MCC, Juaun, #44 et al.

So why does Brock seem so "ordinary", so effortless (seems that way), and is leading all QBs (or at the top) in QBR, % completions, few INTs, and so on? What exactly is going on that he just doesn't seem to get rattled, is calm, and brother can he ever read a D?

Probably is a combination of started 48 games (or thereabouts) over 4 yrs in Big 10 at Iowa State, making him comfortable in big games before huge crowds, with great collegiate coaching, has terrific hand-eye coordination, is fearless in midst of a collapsing pocket, only looks downfield and not at the pack of guys trying to pummel him. He definitely has some of that Joe-second-sense, when he can feel somebody about to nail him from blind spot, and has played enough big boy football to know when to take off and usually finds that 1st down marker.

Still, altho the above may be true, he also has that laid back demeanor (meant in a good way), so that it appears nothing seems to bother him, and altho nobody will ever match Joe Cool, Purdy is making us think about it…a bit, anyway. I'll ask this: Does anybody among 49er fans when watching him, start thinking…maybe a tiny bit…about #16? I'm not there yet because as has been said multiple times, "Hey he's only played a season so far…let's see where he is 2 yrs from now." There's a lot of truth in that, but when i watch Brock, he just doesn't stand out like Joe did. But he is playing lites out and that's what we all care about. There is commonality between # 16 and #13 in that neither is/was a show boat, neither was a rah rah guy, but both were/ are great leaders (yes, it's only been almost 17 games but still, the guy is a leader).

We were blessed with Joe, and to have another cast from the same mold…that would be hard to believe. But the more we watch, the more one could sort of imagine not a carbon copy of Joe, but certainly Joe-like. The fact he is affable, doesn't brag or showboat…that part is definitely Montana like. As for reading Ds…for a kid with only a season under his belt, he definitely has the Montana D reading ability. He can't throw it 90 yards while on his knees, but who the heck wants that? He throws a really nice ball, and is not a dip and dunk thrower. Sure he can throw quick outs or slants but he has a really nice long ball which we have seen 3x in last two games, so now Opponents have to worry about the deep ball also. In short, we were stumble down lucky to snag Brock at #262 after passing on him 6 times. But 31 other teams passed on him 7 times and there are 31 other F.Os wondering just How in the world they passed on him…in every round? Brock's ability to play at the highest level , yet at the end of the game, not seem like one of the top QBs in the NFL… that is his remarkable trait. Effortless…altho we all know it is anything but that.

now this is a post

Sure is!

*quietly adding it to my spank bank*
Good insightful post on Purdy. The only thing he needs to show us is to lead a game winning drive. He has come close but has yet to do it. With Joe it was almost a given. Other than that, Brock has a calmness and awareness that does remind me of Joe and I am glad he plays for the Crimson & Gold!!!! Who knows what the future holds but I sure am happy to watch him play and look forward to where he can take the Niners. The kid is fun to watch play!!!!!!! Go 49ers!!!!!
Brocks play makes me comfortable, confident, and excited. How it should feel if you actually have a top tier qb. Feels nice and I honestly can't get enough of it.

Brocks play makes me comfortable, confident, and excited. How it should feel if you actually have a top tier qb. Feels nice and I honestly can't get enough of it.

Originally posted by Montana:
All I want is pumpkin pie and dirty Purdy slicing up some birdies

Do I think of 16 when I see Purdy play? Yep, and 8 and 9 and 18 and 12 and 4..

Who's wearing their Purdy jersey for T-day? Raise your hands (!!!) Lol

158.3 Purdy

Ya think who came up with that number was a fan of Fahrenheit over Celsius?
Who's wearing their Purdy jersey for T-day? Raise your hands (!!!) Lol

158.3 Purdy

Ya think who came up with that number was a fan of Fahrenheit over Celsius?

Darnold for me. The GOAT in waiting
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Lol u got a Darnold jersey?

[ Edited by Montana on Nov 22, 2023 at 7:57 PM ]
I would be willing to bet Jimmy G. and Trey Lance both had in their contracts a big fat bonus which kicked in if they were ever named NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Playing on a rookie contract as the last pick in the draft, I'm willing to bet Brock Purdy doesn't have a bonus like that in his contract. John Lynch is a much better GM than anyone ever suspected.

good watch regarding Brock and the pass protection
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Lol u got a Darnold jersey?

This is what I don't want to hear from Kyle.

I still think we should unleash the Brock and run the offense that they drafted Lance for. Could you imagine this offense and sprinkle in some RPO? Like Josh Allen.

I think Brock is fast enough to make it work. A lot of these QB's run straight line with the exception of Hurts. Purdy will be juking. He is quite crafty as a runner and we have seen this. Like a version of Steve Young.

he could be more like Steve than Joe.
[ Edited by Eddie_D on Nov 22, 2023 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
I would be willing to bet Jimmy G. and Trey Lance both had in their contracts a big fat bonus which kicked in if they were ever named NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

Playing on a rookie contract as the last pick in the draft, I'm willing to bet Brock Purdy doesn't have a bonus like that in his contract. John Lynch is a much better GM than anyone ever s uspected.

You don't give 3rd stringers incentives. It is an insult because they shouldn't be expected to play and can't earn their money. Teams would rather just pay him.

Here is 800k for the year or take 100k but you get incentives when you play. At the time there was no way he's playing.

Now Brock's next contract should include incentives.
Originally posted by Eddie_D:

I still think we should unleash the Brock and run the offense that they drafted Lance for. Could you imagine this offense and sprinkle in some RPO? Like Josh Allen.

I think Brock is fast enough to make it work. A lot of these QB's run straight line with the exception of Hurts. Purdy will be juking. He is quite crafty as a runner and we have seen this. Like a version of Steve Young.

i don't want Brock taking any unnecessary hits. I don't want to see running plays with Brock unless they're wide open and he slides.

whatever offense kyle was trying to run with Lance was stupid af and should never be replicated. We have enough people who can run the ball, no need to try and get 5 yards and risk Brock getting injured.

i don't want Brock taking any unnecessary hits. I don't want to see running plays with Brock unless they're wide open and he slides.

whatever offense kyle was trying to run with Lance was stupid af and should never be replicated. We have enough people who can run the ball, no need to try and get 5 yards and risk Brock getting injured.

Not exactly like lances offense but if Brock is a threat to run then the middle linebackers have to act as a spy. Which negates them. Kind of like how there was always a spy with Young and he would rip them apart.

I think the Brock would be crazy good if we did this. Kind of like how Mahomes sometimes freestyle. Can pass or take off.

Imagine if he had a top 10 (hell top 15) pass pro OL??? Like Philly or KC it would be easily #6 for the niners. Hopefully Feliciano at RG and Banks at LG works out. If McKivitz struggles then throw in Ilm Manning
We knew he was special in preseason last year. Brock looked like he belonged.
Share 49ersWebzone