LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 201 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Heroism:
"In the past, like we might call a play, and you had no chance of getting the football. But when you're playing with a guy like Purdy, you have the oppurtunity to get the ball on any play."

Aiyuk said this about Purdy on Arik Armstead's podcast. He also talked about how Purdy finds a way to get the ball to guys on clear outs. It's a good listen:

Do think he means this outside of the primary and/or off schedule?

It's a Trip that Alabama tried to recruit Aiyuk, Armstead, and Brock but they all said no. Aiyuk & Armstread didn't want to switch positions - Brock felt disrespected. Obviously not a big deal but those stories are always fun

Damn! Aiyuk has longer arms than armstead and he's 6 foot and armstead is 6'8 lmao wild af
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It's one thing to hear it from retired greats but to see Brock's teammates break that down, explain it, and give credit like that - incredible. That's as real as it gets. Aiyuk is a stud too, I always argue that he's a top 5 complete Wr in this league (when you factor in his selflessness, run blocking, pass blocking when the ball isn't in his hands etc).

i hope we get more play breakdowns from the players as these podcasts go on because that is the ultimate spank bank material for me.

Poor Deebo. With any other qb he would've gotten a bunch of catches because he's so physical and so good with RAC on the underneath--- but Brock ain't usually with the underneath unless he has to. It's Kyle's dream and all the fans.

Deebo is 4th on the team in targets but he did miss the large majority of 3 games. He is also the 2nd best RB on the team.

I think Brock still should lean on Deebo and Kittle when the going gets tough and they need a completion.

Rate of First downs per target

Aiyuk- 63.3%
Kittle- 50.9%
CMC- 45.8%
Deebo- 36.8%

When we need a first down, we going to Aiyuk.

Yeah, I've been noticing that the last few games lol

I just want Brock not to neglect the other guys , cause they've been making tough catches for years.

Its been a loooong time since we have had a true WR1 and fans probably just aren't used to it. The receivers who lead the league in receiving stats every year are typically the WR's who have a top 10 passer and get a lot of targets thrown their way.

Both. Go to 40:35 in the interview. Aiyuk talks about the fade TD in Pittsburgh. That play was designed to go to Deebo and Aiyuk was just clearing things out. Purdy said f**k that and dropped a dime to BA.

Don't forget that last year there was that one deep shot that went incomplete because Aiyuk stopped running his route, and Purdy chewed Aiyuk out for it. Aiyuk almost certainly stopped that route because other QBs would never have thrown it to him on that play, but Purdy did. With Purdy a WR can't assume their route is just a decoy even if it's designed as a decoy. Aiyuk learned that lesson last year.
Originally posted by captveg:
Don't forget that last year there was that one deep shot that went incomplete because Aiyuk stopped running his route, and Purdy chewed Aiyuk out for it. Aiyuk almost certainly stopped that route because other QBs would never have thrown it to him on that play, but Purdy did. With Purdy a WR can't assume their route is just a decoy even if it's designed as a decoy. Aiyuk learned that lesson last year.

True, true.
Originally posted by captveg:

True, true.

Yeah. There is also the badass pass Purdy three for a touchdown in the playoffs that Aiyuk dropped. Different situation but man that would of been one of the best highlights ever
"In the past, like we might call a play, and you had no chance of getting the football. But when you're playing with a guy like Purdy, you have the oppurtunity to get the ball on any play."

Aiyuk said this about Purdy on Arik Armstead's podcast. He also talked about how Purdy finds a way to get the ball to guys on clear outs. It's a good listen:

It's a Trip that Alabama tried to recruit Aiyuk, Armstead, and Brock but they all said no. Aiyuk & Armstread didn't want to switch positions - Brock felt disrespected. Obviously not a big deal but those stories are always fun

Damn! Aiyuk has longer arms than armstead and he's 6 foot and armstead is 6'8 lmao wild af

He's the only human to be able to tie his own shoes standing up.
Maybe if Purdy has a game tonight like he did last week with a national audience he'll start getting more appreciation.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Maybe if Purdy has a game tonight like he did last week with a national audience he'll start getting more appreciation.
Who cares about appreciation, just keep doing your thing Purdy
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Montana:

good watch regarding Brock and the pass protection

Imagine if he had a top 10 (hell top 15) pass pro OL??? Like Philly or KC it would be easily #6 for the niners. Hopefully Feliciano at RG and Banks at LG works out. If McKivitz struggles then throw in Ilm Manning

Where in the results has it shown that PHI & KC's O line have been better in pass pro? Because I have ran the numbers myself and I can confidently tell you that they are not.

LOL. The graph Lombardi presents you in this video SHOWS you exactly that.

Then for further measure, he goes on to tell you PFF's composite PB rank is 28th, ESPN PBWR is 19th (composite, 23rd).

Imagine if we didn't have Trent Williams and a run-centric offense (lowest volume of passes) to skew the numbers up.

Pull your pants up. Your bias is showing.

YAC: 49ers OL >>>>>>>> Philly OL but Miami is #1

Our run/pass ratio is trending towards more pass centric. Brock's development is a big part of that. The last three games are at 52.57% pass percentage. Given the accuracy of Brock and that most of those pass plays are successful, it's becoming clear that our offense is now pass centric, imo, and will be as long as teams continue to stack the box.

We're still dead last in passing attempts.

What you're talking about is efficiency within those limited attempts. That's legit. In fact, that's incredible. Brock is the real deal.

I'm actually talking about the run-pass ratio leaning pass the past three weeks and trending in that direction with Brock, so quite literally pass-centric. I think a lot of it has to do with Brock's efficiency, but also that our ground game hasn't been as effective.

Imagine if he had a top 10 (hell top 15) pass pro OL??? Like Philly or KC it would be easily #6 for the niners. Hopefully Feliciano at RG and Banks at LG works out. If McKivitz struggles then throw in Ilm Manning

Where in the results has it shown that PHI & KC's O line have been better in pass pro? Because I have ran the numbers myself and I can confidently tell you that they are not.

Then for further measure, he goes on to tell you PFF's composite PB rank is 28th, ESPN PBWR is 19th (composite, 23rd).

Imagine if we didn't have Trent Williams and a run-centric offense (lowest volume of passes) to skew the numbers up.

Our run/pass ratio is trending towards more pass centric. Brock's development is a big part of that. The last three games are at 52.57% pass percentage. Given the accuracy of Brock and that most of those pass plays are successful, it's becoming clear that our offense is now pass centric, imo, and will be as long as teams continue to stack the box.

What you're talking about is efficiency within those limited attempts. That's legit. In fact, that's incredible. Brock is the real deal.

I'm actually talking about the run-pass ratio leaning pass the past three weeks and trending in that direction with Brock, so quite literally pass-centric. I think a lot of it has to do with Brock's efficiency, but also that our ground game hasn't been as effective.

I gotcha. That's a trend to keep an eye on. We typically end up bottom 5 so there's a little wiggle room to lean a bit more pass centric for a few games here and there but let's watch it to see if this is a moving needle.

How would you feel about that if we started moving towards the middle of the pack?

I gotcha. That's a trend to keep an eye on. We typically end up bottom 5 so there's a little wiggle room to lean a bit more pass centric for a few games here and there but let's watch it to see if this is a moving needle.

How would you feel about that if we started moving towards the middle of the pack?

I've always liked that we've gone against the grain. I think a lot of our previous success is attributed to being able to get pieces that other teams wouldn't value and build a successful rushing offense around them.

But I think Brock changes the math a bit. We'll want to build pieces that keep him upright and I think philosophically we may turn into a pass that sets up the run instead of the other way around. No matter what, Shanahan will want a balanced approach, so I'm good with that and the ability to keep the defense guessing.

I've always liked that we've gone against the grain. I think a lot of our previous success is attributed to being able to get pieces that other teams wouldn't value and build a successful rushing offense around them.

But I think Brock changes the math a bit. We'll want to build pieces that keep him upright and I think philosophically we may turn into a pass that sets up the run instead of the other way around. No matter what, Shanahan will want a balanced approach, so I'm good with that and the ability to keep the defense guessing.

Great take. I feel the same way.

It'll start to tweak as Kyle and Brock get more comfortable with one another. This is Brock with barely a seasons worth of starts. Come year 3 in the system it might be really scary for rest of league.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It'll start to tweak as Kyle and Brock get more comfortable with one another. This is Brock with barely a seasons worth of starts. Come year 3 in the system it might be really scary for rest of league.

It'll be interesting to watch how things change going forward for sure starting with personnel around him. That should give us some great tips on the direction starting with this off season.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 23, 2023 at 2:03 PM ]
It'll be interesting to watch how things change going forward for sure starting with personnel around him. That should give us some great tips on the direction starting with this off season.

Spoiler alert:

You're not getting your linemen, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone