There are 223 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree. Brock's passing talent is a generational talent. It's going to force Kyle to rethink some of his basic passing assumptions going into the next couple of games and into the playoffs. With CMC, you can have a *run to set up the pass* scheme. With Brock, you can have a *pass to set up the run* scheme. With Both CMC *and* Deebo available, they interchangeable and positionless wide backs. So in games going forward, I can see Kyle flex his scheme to fit the talent of the team they face.

I keeping banging on about it, but to further illustrate your point - when the 3 players you mention have played 4 quarters together they have never lost a single game, and average over 30 points per game.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
So was the ball tipped at LoS on the pick ? Still not sure whether or not that happened.

I'm pretty sure it was. I'd have to see another slowed down replay to say for sure but the replay they did show, it looked like the DLine man just barely touched it.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
So was the ball tipped at LoS on the pick ? Still not sure whether or not that happened.

I'm pretty sure it was. I'd have to see another slowed down replay to say for sure but the replay they did show, it looked like the DLine man just barely touched it.

Regardless it was a risky throw, but (a) it was also a risky CALL, and (b) Brock threw another risky throw that won us the game (deep touchdown to Aiyuk). I've said it before: if you're not throwing any interceptions, you're probably not scoring a lot of points either. Taking chances is part of great quarterbacking.

Every QB occasionally has throws like that the end in disaster. The difference is the great QBs don't fold. Brock didn't fold.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
And quote it correctly. He was talking to YOU.

GO AWAY.

Consider me gone. But #JustSayin....

Youtube: Purdy's Better Than Jimmy G. And It's Not Close.

The biggest difference between Jimmy and Brock is that Jimmy could not be aware of the pocket around him AND the receivers downfield simultaneously, and Brock can. Simple as that.

Jimmy was either trying to escape a sack while completely ignoring the receivers, or he was looking at the receivers and then getting suddenly enveloped by the pass rush. Brock keeps his eyes downfield and can feel the pocket while he does it. He has a natural ability to find the escape hatch without thinking much about it, so he is always watching the play develop.

He also anticipates where receivers and defenders are going to be very rapidly. Jimmy always threw behind his WR because he wasn't throwing to where they were going to be, he was throwing to where they were when he released the ball. Notice how Brock always hits guys in stride, while Jimmy's throws were always late, and even wide open guys had to come back to, and wait for the ball to make the catch.
You're right, vision and instincts are a big part of it. But attitude too. Brock sees the game differently. Like that touchdown to Aiyuk. There is a zero percent chance Jimmy throws that.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Really impressed with Brock today. Heads up flip to Kittle to save a sack. Command of the offense in Seattle. He's 2-0 in Seattle, and no other recent
Niner QB has more than 1 win. Seattle has very good CBs, which pushed the game plan to CMC and Deebo, but when it counted, he made multiple 3rd down conversions and a 30yd laser TD in tight coverage after throwing a pick-6 and letting them back in the game. FQB stuff.

Mahomes does that and they're on his nuts. Purdy has that Favre play-making instinct. The play's never dead, and no place on the field is safe (like the TD to Aiyuk).
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

The pass was ripped by DL reed and that made it go off course and behind CMC, who tried to get it and tipped it again. That's how it happened from the angle I saw.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Really impressed with Brock today. Heads up flip to Kittle to save a sack. Command of the offense in Seattle. He's 2-0 in Seattle, and no other recent
Niner QB has more than 1 win. Seattle has very good CBs, which pushed the game plan to CMC and Deebo, but when it counted, he made multiple 3rd down conversions and a 30yd laser TD in tight coverage after throwing a pick-6 and letting them back in the game. FQB stuff.

Mahomes does that and they're on his nuts. Purdy has that Favre play-making instinct. The play's never dead, and no place on the field is safe (like the TD to Aiyuk).

The haters are gonna have to wait out in the cold by themselves for awhile. For some, changing their mind (and admitting they were wrong / biased) can be a tough ask…
  • titan
  • Veteran
BP what a humble young man and what a leader. Let's go Niners!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Furlow:
And quote it correctly. He was talking to YOU.

GO AWAY.

Consider me gone. But #JustSayin....

Youtube: Purdy's Better Than Jimmy G. And It's Not Close.

The biggest difference between Jimmy and Brock is that Jimmy could not be aware of the pocket around him AND the receivers downfield simultaneously, and Brock can. Simple as that.

Jimmy was either trying to escape a sack while completely ignoring the receivers, or he was looking at the receivers and then getting suddenly enveloped by the pass rush. Brock keeps his eyes downfield and can feel the pocket while he does it. He has a natural ability to find the escape hatch without thinking much about it, so he is always watching the play develop.

He also anticipates where receivers and defenders are going to be very rapidly. Jimmy always threw behind his WR because he wasn't throwing to where they were going to be, he was throwing to where they were when he released the ball. Notice how Brock always hits guys in stride, while Jimmy's throws were always late, and even wide open guys had to come back to, and wait for the ball to make the catch.

Jimmy throws hospital balls.

What did it for me was an easy pass to Kittle and he threw it high and kittle got a knee injury from it. You guys know what play I'm talking about too.
Originally posted by tankle104:
The pass was ripped by DL reed and that made it go off course and behind CMC, who tried to get it and tipped it again. That's how it happened from the angle I saw.

TThat happens a lot against us. At least one deflection a game from the line. I think it's just cuz our guys are smaller it's easier to disengage and jump when the time is right
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 24, 2023 at 6:44 AM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by joeknows:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree. Brock's passing talent is a generational talent. It's going to force Kyle to rethink some of his basic passing assumptions going into the next couple of games and into the playoffs. With CMC, you can have a *run to set up the pass* scheme. With Brock, you can have a *pass to set up the run* scheme. With Both CMC *and* Deebo available, they interchangeable and positionless wide backs. So in games going forward, I can see Kyle flex his scheme to fit the talent of the team they face.

I keeping banging on about it, but to further illustrate your point - when the 3 players you mention have played 4 quarters together they have never lost a single game, and average over 30 points per game.
Agree.
Health has always been Kyle's kryptonite. As long as Kyle keeps his players healthy and playing, the scheme is fine.
Originally posted by Montana:
Lol I knew he was gunna hit BA..that foreshadowing by Collinsworth lol..I was like..that exactly what he gunna do lol

He had the wide open first on the check down too but said "YOLO!" Jimmy would have taken the check down.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/highlights/play/type/san-francisco-49ers/2023/12/PUR243289/2023112302/3514
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
You are arguing with no one bro.

Aside from the 1 guy that aggressively continues to reply? Well yea, lol.

There is no one who thinks Jimmy is better than Brock, including the "guy that aggressively continues to reply."

That was definitely not my argument. Just annoyed that a Niners "fan" would be in here trying to stir up arguments about Jimmy moments after a huge win and gutsy performance from Purdy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by tankle104:

TThat happens a lot against us. At least one deflection a game from the line. I think it's just cuz our guys are smaller it's easier to disengage and jump when the time is right

The OLine has to get those DLine hands down. It's just having the OLineman punch the DLineman in the stomach when the pass is about to be let loose. It's (I think) more of a timing and synchronization issue between the OLine and QB. Having said that, in that situation, with (I think) two straight passes already - the DLine was ready to defend the pass and was looking to tip any passes by the QB. They need a more of a run heavy attack in that kind of a situation where your goal line is located behind you, to get the DLine at least buy a possible run in that situation. After that tipped pass and interception, the 49ers began to run more than pass.
i like this qb
[ Edited by picklejuice on Nov 24, 2023 at 6:57 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone