There are 267 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I thought I saw a defender right on top of him about 10yds off ready make a tackle should he get the ball. Theoretically it should a first down but maybe not much more.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/highlights/play/type/san-francisco-49ers/2023/12/PUR243289/2023112302/3514
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I thought I saw a defender right on top of him about 10yds off ready make a tackle should he get the ball. Theoretically it should a first down but maybe not much more.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/highlights/play/type/san-francisco-49ers/2023/12/PUR243289/2023112302/3514

I want to know what happened on the 1st qtr scramble that he launched to Jennings. Never got a replay on that one.
What impresses me is when he had a tough game on the road and he had to grind and didn't play his best he still won. After the pick 6 he was still aggressive and fighting. Throwing down the field. The throw down the field to Aiyuk was fabulous between 4 defenders. Probably could have had another TD to Aiyuk but the back of the defenders arms luckily knocked it away. Statistically it was average and not great or terrible for Brock. But he showed a lot of grit and guile. He stuck with it and kept competing to the win. There was a lot of good in that IMO.
Originally posted by picklejuice:
i want to believe mckivitz is really really good but just isn't used to opposite side footwork cause he's an LT so maybe he can be our future LT option when trent retires--or go back to swing tackle backup guy.. :)

Let's give McKivitz a little slack for playing beside a guy he has never played with before, and who had a poor game himself. That stuff matters.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Regardless it was a risky throw, but (a) it was also a risky CALL, and (b) Brock threw another risky throw that won us the game (deep touchdown to Aiyuk). I've said it before: if you're not throwing any interceptions, you're probably not scoring a lot of points either. Taking chances is part of great quarterbacking.

Every QB occasionally has throws like that the end in disaster. The difference is the great QBs don't fold. Brock didn't fold.

The fact Kyle was willing to make a risky call speaks volumes about how he views his QB. Quantum difference in philosophy over the past two years.
Originally posted by dj43:
The fact Kyle was willing to make a risky call speaks volumes about how he views his QB. Quantum difference in philosophy over the past two years.

Because his QB now can execute everything.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by tankle104:
The pass was ripped by DL reed and that made it go off course and behind CMC, who tried to get it and tipped it again. That's how it happened from the angle I saw.

TThat happens a lot against us. At least one deflection a game from the line. I think it's just cuz our guys are smaller it's easier to disengage and jump when the time is right

Hmm idk if it happens "a lot". I feel like
jt happens but I'd like to see the data on how much it happens to other QBs. Especially similar sized guys.

to me, anyones pass can be deflected but it just depends on if it's a good heads up d lineman. They're so tall and lengthy (usually).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What impresses me is when he had a tough game on the road and he had to grind and didn't play his best he still won. After the pick 6 he was still aggressive and fighting. Throwing down the field. The throw down the field to Aiyuk was fabulous between 4 defenders. Probably could have had another TD to Aiyuk but the back of the defenders arms luckily knocked it away. Statistically it was average and not great or terrible for Brock. But he showed a lot of grit and guile. He stuck with it and kept competing to the win. There was a lot of good in that IMO.

Brock has that unique ability to remain stupidly confident. Lmao which I think all great qbs do. Not saying Brock is great, just saying it's a commonly shared characteristic amongst plays who become/are great.

when Brock has a play like the pick 6, he doesn't think "oh man, this is too much for me. I can't do it at this level. I'm not capable". Instead, he thinks "okay, eff you. I'll get you next time. Nice play".
Originally posted by tankle104:

Brock has that unique ability to remain stupidly confident. Lmao which I think all great qbs do. Not saying Brock is great, just saying it's a commonly shared characteristic amongst plays who become/are great.

when Brock has a play like the pick 6, he doesn't think "oh man, this is too much for me. I can't do it at this level. I'm not capable". Instead, he thinks "okay, eff you. I'll get you next time. Nice play".

Alex Smith would get scared and go into a shell and throw 1 - 3 yard check downs, audible to hand offs and would want no part of throwing medium to deep the rest of the game. We saw it for years after a bad play especially. Purdy keeps playing. Like Aaron Rodgers. Not saying he's that. But he keeps playing aggressive an puts it out of his mind. That's the great part. It's kind of a unique QB who puts the bad play away and just keeps playing his game including taking some big shots.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Passing COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT QBR
21 30 70% 209 1 1 93.28

I love it when people say Brock had a bad game. One Int on a tipped ball. Another possible TD to if not for a great reach back no look pass break up by the DB. Not exactly ideal play calling after both takeaways as well. But yes, Brock sucked and barely got it done and we scored 31 points.

OK, I love Purdy and am delighted at how great he looks. BUT, the interception was a horrific throw, off target and after a bad read. The tip came from CMC instinctively trying to catch a ball that was way behind him. One of the camera angles makes me think that even without the tip the ball was going straight to a defender.

Terrible decision, bad throw, bad timing to do that at that stage of the game and part of the field. But it doesn't matter, the guy's doing so much that is right and so consistently. He is human, he makes mistakes. I'm confident he's learned from it.

I do agree with you that other than that he actually played well. The Seattle D tried hard not just to pressure him but also to confuse him. They've got some savvy veterans and good coaching. We still won handily. I'll take that any day.

Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Passing COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT QBR
21 30 70% 209 1 1 93.28

I love it when people say Brock had a bad game. One Int on a tipped ball. Another possible TD to if not for a great reach back no look pass break up by the DB. Not exactly ideal play calling after both takeaways as well. But yes, Brock sucked and barely got it done and we scored 31 points.

OK, I love Purdy and am delighted at how great he looks. BUT, the interception was a horrific throw, off target and after a bad read. The tip came from CMC instinctively trying to catch a ball that was way behind him. One of the camera angles makes me think that even without the tip the ball was going straight to a defender.

Terrible decision, bad throw, bad timing to do that at that stage of the game and part of the field. But it doesn't matter, the guy's doing so much that is right and so consistently. He is human, he makes mistakes. I'm confident he's learned from it.

I do agree with you that other than that he actually played well. The Seattle D tried hard not just to pressure him but also to confuse him. They've got some savvy veterans and good coaching. We still won handily. I'll take that any day.

I thought it was an awful call by Kyle. Be backed up deep by the endzone, throw into the middle of the field, defense playing lights out. Why? The proper play with the lead was run, run some more and punt in that position. Just unnecessary. Let the defense play. Big risks down there didn't make sense. Even the play call. I thought the coach put the QB in a bad position on that one honestly.
I thought it was an awful call by Kyle. Be backed up deep by the endzone, throw into the middle of the field, defense playing lights out. Why? The proper play with the lead was run, run some more and punt in that position. Just unnecessary. Let the defense play. Big risks down there didn't make sense. Even the play call. I thought the coach put the QB in a bad position on that one honestly.

You realize that Purdy audibled out of whatever the original play was?
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I want to know what happened on the 1st qtr scramble that he launched to Jennings. Never got a replay on that one.
Looked like Jennings was being held so much he couldn't move

You realize that Purdy audibled out of whatever the original play was?

If that's the case he probably shouldn't have. A throw to the middle of the field is super dicey backed up by your endzone. Way too much traffic in there. A run or throw outside where it falls out of bounds would be fine. Run, run, run and punt was honestly a great series there if they would have done it. The defense was playing lights out. I don't know that Purdy audibled or not. But whatever the call or audible was a bad idea. It was just so unnecessary there. Wrong position on the field with a lead and a great defense to even be doing that.
Alex Smith would get scared and go into a shell and throw 1 - 3 yard check downs, audible to hand offs and would want no part of throwing medium to deep the rest of the game. We saw it for years after a bad play especially. Purdy keeps playing. Like Aaron Rodgers. Not saying he's that. But he keeps playing aggressive an puts it out of his mind. That's the great part. It's kind of a unique QB who puts the bad play away and just keeps playing his game including taking some big shots.

Not really a fair comparison. Smith played only for a year and a half with a team even remotely close to the talent level of this one (11 and 12 up to his injury). Harbaugh was (is) an extremely conservative coach who only came out of his own shell a bit during the first few games with Kaepernick, and that mostly because he surprised the league with the pistol/read option stuff. Smith showed when playing for Andy Reid that he could be decisive.

I think Purdy is better, and I love what he's doing for us. But if anything they are quite similar people in their attitude to the game, and also in their deceptive mobility. I think Purdy is the better processor, but Smith was not bad. His career was plagued by bad injuries and worse coaching, but he showed plenty of resilience and kept coming back. He's no superstar but he's also one of the good guys in the game.
Share 49ersWebzone