There are 224 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:
Losing THREE first round picks on a failed QB pick has all but been forgotten. That in and of itself speaks volumes on how legit this dude is playing.

As others have said, those three first round picks, the last two are more like 2nd round picks considering Brock's play. Its not a big loss - in a sense.

The *nice* thing about the Brock pick is that - to a certain extent - its not depending on draft order, like the Trey Lance pick. One of Kyle's reasons for the Lance trade up was that he thought the 49ers wouldn't have another top 10 pick in the 1st round for a long time. So he went for the gusto.

The Brock pick and many other low round picks that do well on the team are sustainable despite being basically last in the draft order. I always see teams fade after their initial high draft players ger old. Two examples- Jim Harbaugh's team under Baalke, and the Legion of Boom. Both teams faded after their initial draft success.

If Kyle can just keep drafting well in the later rounds, the super bowl window will be open for a long time.
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Maybe even stronger than pre-surgery. Recall early in the season he was missing those open deep throws. Clearly he's been working on improving that and it shows! Whatever perceived weakness haters have tried to pin on him, he's been quieting those doubters

Yea it's funny how "people" found time to post during that 3 game skid. Not so much now that he's Purdy good again. But there was no agendas.

People doubt Purdy's abilities mainly because he was the last pick in the draft. They point out that he's lucky to be on a team with a good offensive coach and lot's of talent around him. Even Brock's biggest supporters can't deny that much of his success is tied to the team he's on. The Niners are one of the top 2 or 3 teams when it comes to talent. We saw how the team dropped off when 2 of those talented pieces were missing. Some of his critics say that he wouldn't be as good if he was on the Broncos or the Cards for example. I agree. No QB would be as good with those teams or virtually any other team as they would be on the Niners. Kyle runs a QB friendly offense so what QB wouldn't want to play here.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
People doubt Purdy's abilities mainly because he was the last pick in the draft. They point out that he's lucky to be on a team with a good offensive coach and lot's of talent around him. Even Brock's biggest supporters can't deny that much of his success is tied to the team he's on. The Niners are one of the top 2 or 3 teams when it comes to talent. We saw how the team dropped off when 2 of those talented pieces were missing. Some of his critics say that he wouldn't be as good if he was on the Broncos or the Cards for example. I agree. No QB would be as good with those teams or virtually any other team as they would be on the Niners. Kyle runs a QB friendly offense so what QB wouldn't want to play here.

Dafuq, when the team lost two of its key starters, Brock was still completing 70% of his passes for 637 yards. Against Cleveland he still engineered a game winning drive and if Moody doesn't miss or if Shanahan called one or two more plays to get closer, the 49ers would be looking at 9-2 right now. Sure Brock Purdy has made some bad decisions and thrown some INT's but every QB does and he's got the least amount of INT's out of Mahomes, Goff, Tua and Hurts. Sure coaching and talent on the team have something to do with his success, but you can't deny that Brock has made them look good too, for instance he doesn't have nowhere near a top 10 O-line.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Dafuq, when the team lost two of its key starters, Brock was still completing 70% of his passes for 637 yards. Against Cleveland he still engineered a game winning drive and if Moody doesn't miss or if Shanahan called one or two more plays to get closer, the 49ers would be looking at 9-2 right now. Sure Brock Purdy has made some bad decisions and thrown some INT's but every QB does and he's got the least amount of INT's out of Mahomes, Goff, Tua and Hurts. Sure coaching and talent on the team have something to do with his success, but you can't deny that Brock has made them look good too, for instance he doesn't have nowhere near a top 10 O-line.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Tman:
Losing THREE first round picks on a failed QB pick has all but been forgotten. That in and of itself speaks volumes on how legit this dude is playing.

As others have said, those three first round picks, the last two are more like 2nd round picks considering Brock's play. Its not a big loss - in a sense.

The *nice* thing about the Brock pick is that - to a certain extent - its not depending on draft order, like the Trey Lance pick. One of Kyle's reasons for the Lance trade up was that he thought the 49ers wouldn't have another top 10 pick in the 1st round for a long time. So he went for the gusto.

The Brock pick and many other low round picks that do well on the team are sustainable despite being basically last in the draft order. I always see teams fade after their initial high draft players ger old. Two examples- Jim Harbaugh's team under Baalke, and the Legion of Boom. Both teams faded after their initial draft success.

If Kyle can just keep drafting well in the later rounds, the super bowl window will be open for a long time.

Having mid to late round picks turn out to be great players is awesome because they're so cheap. Only knock on it is that they don't have a fifth year option, meaning you have to pay them sooner.

another big reason kyle wanted a young qb the as because the salary was more sustainable. Brocks salary will go down as one of the best deals in nfl history, if we win a super bowl. I think right now that belongs to russ Wilson because he was a third round pick making like $4-500k (have to factor in inflation etc).

homestly, the key to us having an awesome roster the last handful of years has largely to do with our mid-late/UDFA picks. They've been huge huge contributors, something most teams almost always miss on.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

All true. If I was to rank Brock I would put him below the elite tier of QBs at this point. His numbers and performance pass the smell test for sure, but the reality is that he hasn't won anything yet. Brock's status as elite will be written by his performance in the playoffs and his performance against elite opposition. Using a boxing analogy, a contender doesn't become the champ until he beats the champ. Patrick Mahomes earned his respect on the field, Purdy has a shot now.

I love Brock Purdy. It's obvious that he's got that leader mojo on the field. We're all waiting to see Brock against the elite QBs and teams and how he does in the playoffs. Looking forward to it. Can he engineer comebacks? Can we beat the eagles, bengals, and Chiefs?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM ]
Lol Grant Cohn says Brock struggled against the Seahawks and all opposing teams have to do is cover the top 2 receivers Aiyuk and Kittle.

Luckily we still have Debo and CMC.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-qb-brock-purdy-struggled-against-the-seahawks

Honestly that goes for a lot of QBs. Do people really think Mahomes or Hurts would be as good as they are on the commanders or bears teams? Coaching matters in the NFL, teams matter. Mahomes is a great QB but it's not surprising that his numbers are lower this year, he doesnt have the talent he's had in years past.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
All true. If I was to rank Brock I would put him below the elite tier of QBs at this point. His numbers and performance pass the smell test for sure, but the reality is that he hasn't won anything yet. Brock's status as elite will be written by his performance in the playoffs and his performance against elite opposition. Using a boxing analogy, a contender doesn't become the champ until he beats the champ. Patrick Mahomes earned his respect on the field, Purdy has a shot now.

What's your definition of elite? Winning WHAT exactly?

You realize that the only active qbs (not counting Rodgers) to have won a superbowl are Mahomes, Wilson, and Stafford, right?

Is that your elite tier?

What pisses me off the most is Sharpe, Bayless, & Stephen A. Smith saying the reason Brock's not elite or a superstar is because he has great weapons around him, like Young, Montana, Elway, Hurts, Allen, Dak, etc.... don't or didn't have those kind of weapons? Just BS, sick of the narrative of Brock is a system QB they even said how Shanny elevated Mullens, Beathard, Jimmy G, I seriously LMAO, elevated Mullens & Beathard, like they didn't do the research, Purdy is doing things that Jimmy wishes he could have when he was the starter at QB for us.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
What pisses me off the most is Sharpe, Bayless, & Stephen A. Smith saying the reason Brock's not elite or a superstar is because he has great weapons around him, like Young, Montana, Elway, Hurts, Allen, Dak, etc.... don't or didn't have those kind of weapons? Just BS, sick of the narrative of Brock is a system QB they even said how Shanny elevated Mullens, Beathard, Jimmy G, I seriously LMAO, elevated Mullens & Beathard, like they didn't do the research, Purdy is doing things that Jimmy wishes he could have when he was the starter at QB for us.

They're just saying it to get people riled up because if they said nice things, it wouldn't get ratings outside of 49ers fans. No way in hell they've watched Brock and actually think that.

tons of respected offensive coaches, HOF players, and current players/coaches have talked about how great of a job he is doing. I trust their analysis instead of someone that lives off of getting views/clicks.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Lol Grant Cohn says Brock struggled against the Seahawks and all opposing teams have to do is cover the top 2 receivers Aiyuk and Kittle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-qb-brock-purdy-struggled-against-the-seahawks

Wasn't he saying that Brock wasn't good because Deebo and Williams were out? Take away any team's good players on offense and see how well they perform. Hurts would be doo-doo without Swift and Brown.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

They're just saying it to get people riled up because if they said nice things, it wouldn't get ratings outside of 49ers fans. No way in hell they've watched Brock and actually think that.

tons of respected offensive coaches, HOF players, and current players/coaches have talked about how great of a job he is doing. I trust their analysis instead of someone that lives off of getting views/clicks.

I really think it's just an easy sell to make that people will easily accept. If you don't believe in Purdy or not ready to accept his success you have to make some argument against him and that one is just easy because it disqualifies the mountain of stats he's compiled.
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Originally posted by mitpdub:

Wasn't he saying that Brock wasn't good because Deebo and Williams were out? Take away any team's good players on offense and see how well they perform. Hurts would be doo-doo without Swift and Brown.

Hurts would be worse with a bottom tier OL. SF is 28th in pass block and they have the best LT in the game. So when he goes out…. The OL might rank 50th out of 32 teams 😂

Purdy also won 3 games last season with out Deebo and he had broken ribs, so it's not just Deebo.

the real reasons for the 3 game skid was

1. schedule / player fatigue
2. rookie kicker
3. concussion
4. Trent Williams injury
Share 49ersWebzone