There are 251 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Just watched CJ Stroud have 6+ seconds to survey the field in the redzone and throw a touchdown . I can't think a of time when Brock Purdy had all day to survey the field and throw, especially in the redzone.

Texans O line is top 5 in pass pro this season.

I remember a bunch of people talking about how Trey was a much better prospect than stroud this last off season - nuts. Lol. I always liked stroud, especially after watching him in the playoffs against Georgia. I liked Bryce young but his size worries me.

i don't believe you need to have a cannon and be 6'5 but I do think there is a minimum you'd like to see a guy have physically, which Brock does. 6'0-1/2 to 6'1 Is about as short as id want my qb. Young is not only short (relatively speaking) but isn't muscular and has a very lean frame.

im happy for stroud. One of the best things you can give a young qb is a really good o line. I'm happy for him and demeco
[ Edited by tankle104 on Nov 26, 2023 at 11:58 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Just watched CJ Stroud have 6+ seconds to survey the field in the redzone and throw a touchdown . I can't think a of time when Brock Purdy had all day to survey the field and throw, especially in the redzone.

Brock doesn't need 6+ seconds, I don't think he'd know what to do if he had that much time 😆. He is get that football out of his hand on time QB, Perfect for our west coast
Originally posted by titan:

Brock doesn't need 6+ seconds, I don't think he'd know what to do if he had that much time 😆. He is get that football out of his hand on time QB, Perfect for our west coast

I actually Broke down Brocks pressure stats. Believe it or not, he actually throws less INT's when under pressure when he is given 3.20 seconds or less to throw.

I actually Broke down Brocks pressure stats. Believe it or not, he actually throws less INT's when under pressure when he is given 3.20 seconds or less to throw.

Not surprised by that at all, calm cool processor. Put a gap in the coverage and more often than not he'll exploit it. IMO that's great QB vs some of the other QBs that miss that read and can scramble and make a play…

Make the play that's there don't create one!

Not surprised by that at all, calm cool processor. Put a gap in the coverage and more often than not he'll exploit it. IMO that's great QB vs some of the other QBs that miss that read and can scramble and make a play…

Make the play that's there don't create one!

Yea. If Brock is holding the ball longer than 3.20 seconds than the coverage must be good. Atleast that is the way I see it.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Nov 26, 2023 at 12:27 PM ]
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Montana:
The reason ppl have doubted BP: they are stupid

No it's because most of his critics still look at physical traits rather than actual play. No question the talent and coaching have helped him but he was also way more prepared than many QBs. He didn't come out after one or two seasons. Of course he still had to adapt to the NFL speed and defenses but he's obviously really smart and learned quickly.

NFL GMs need to start looking more at these guys that played well for 3 or 4 seasons for one team and stop focusing on the combine numbers. The failure rate for some of the really gifted QBs is way too high.

Hopefully, whatever process used to evaluate Lance was thrown out. Not that he still couldn't be successful, but taking him where we did is a lesson I hope we've learned well!

GMs will continue to fall in love with athletic guys at the combine. I lost track of how often there were only one or two guys expected to go in the first rond but then after the combine the GMs start drooling and they end up drafting 5 QBs in the first 20 picks. It seems like it's gotten worse since they changed the salary structure. Every team is desperately trying to find a QB that can play right away so they can get 4 or 5 cheap years from that position instead of shelling out $35-$50 mil.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Lol Grant Cohn says Brock struggled against the Seahawks and all opposing teams have to do is cover the top 2 receivers Aiyuk and Kittle.

Luckily we still have Debo and CMC.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-49ers-qb-brock-purdy-struggled-against-the-seahawks

Wasn't he saying that Brock wasn't good because Deebo and Williams were out? Take away any team's good players on offense and see how well they perform. Hurts would be doo-doo without Swift and Brown.

Yah takeaway Jason Kelce and AJ Brown then see how well they do!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Agree💯%. Joe and Steve wouldn't be where they are (wearing yellow jackets) if not for Jerry.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Montana:
The reason ppl have doubted BP: they are stupid

No it's because most of his critics still look at physical traits rather than actual play. No question the talent and coaching have helped him but he was also way more prepared than many QBs. He didn't come out after one or two seasons. Of course he still had to adapt to the NFL speed and defenses but he's obviously really smart and learned quickly.

NFL GMs need to start looking more at these guys that played well for 3 or 4 seasons for one team and stop focusing on the combine numbers. The failure rate for some of the really gifted QBs is way too high.

Hopefully, whatever process used to evaluate Lance was thrown out. Not that he still couldn't be successful, but taking him where we did is a lesson I hope we've learned well!

It's hard to separate the success of a QB vs his surrounding talent. CJ Stroud is an example. 15 QB's were taken in the 2023 draft, and only CJ is doing well. Keep in mind this is the draft *after* Brock was drafted, so a lot of GM's have had *one year* to tweak their evaluation systems for the 2023 draft and still - 1 out 15 is doing well.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I remember a bunch of people talking about how Trey was a much better prospect than stroud this last off season - nuts. Lol. I always liked stroud, especially after watching him in the playoffs against Georgia. I liked Bryce young but his size worries me.

i don't believe you need to have a cannon and be 6'5 but I do think there is a minimum you'd like to see a guy have physically, which Brock does. 6'0-1/2 to 6'1 Is about as short as id want my qb. Young is not only short (relatively speaking) but isn't muscular and has a very lean frame.

im happy for stroud. One of the best things you can give a young qb is a really good o line. I'm happy for him and demeco

My lady is a huge Texans fan and she was sooo distraught when they ended up with the 2nd pick because the majority of their fanbase had their hearts set on Young. I kept assuring her that getting the #2 pick was probably the best thing to happen to them because Stroud was the guy they wanted. Slowik is bringing him along nicely.
I'll tell you what: I'm glad Seattle didn't get the chance to draft Stroud.

I expect them to target a QB in the next draft tho
[ Edited by Young2Owens on Nov 26, 2023 at 1:44 PM ]

Originally posted by Young2Owens:

For sure, they know where they'll go with Geno
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

AGree. He looks good. Almost as good as Purdy.

Whoever moves up to try and grab Williams will have to make a massive trade with Carolina, assuming Carolina doesn't take him.

if I was Carolina, I'd take Williams instead of rock with Bryce - then trade him. Or keep them as backup for a year or so.
Originally posted by Giedi:

AGree. He looks good. Almost as good as Purdy.

Originally posted by tankle104:

Whoever moves up to try and grab Williams will have to make a massive trade with Carolina, assuming Carolina doesn't take him.

if I was Carolina, I'd take Williams instead of rock with Bryce - then trade him. Or keep them as backup for a year or so.

Chicago owns Carolina's 2024 1st rd pick.
Share 49ersWebzone