There are 272 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't care where anyone ranks Brock. It has no effect on the outcome of the games and that's all that matters. As long as he continues to play well enough for the Niners to keep winning I'm okay if you want to rank him last.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't care where anyone ranks Brock. It has no effect on the outcome of the games and that's all that matters. As long as he continues to play well enough for the Niners to keep winning I'm okay if you want to rank him last.

yup it is what it is

everything will play out in the end
Originally posted by 49erKing:
Kyler Murray has the shortest arms of any starting QB in the league at 28.5. Purdy is next at 29.0. Everyone else is like 30/31+. Maybe this is one of the reasons why his release is so compact, smooth, and quick?

short arms, BC
like a T Rex
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

tired of the is it Brock or is it the system debate. It's both. System means coaching, playcalling, talent around, we are elite in all those respects. That helps Brock be who he is. obviously he has game, or the results would be whatever Trey Lance was doing
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

tired of the is it Brock or is it the system debate. It's both. System means coaching, playcalling, talent around, we are elite in all those respects. That helps Brock be who he is. obviously he has game, or the results would be whatever Trey Lance was doing

Yep the other Players and Coaches are elevating Brock, and Brock is elevating them in return.

That's what you want as a TEAM!
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
The only reason the 'Is Purdy a system QB' conversation is still happening is because pundit hacks know they can say it and get the massive Niners fan base riled up and boom- clicks. Before this year, I had never even heard of Nick Wright and now he is everywhere. It doesn't matter to him if Purdy is good or not or why, he will say whatever he can to get a headline. Seriously, we are the reason for our own downfall here. Just don't fall for the clickbait.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:

Yep the other Players and Coaches are elevating Brock, and Brock is elevating them in return.

That's what you want as a TEAM!

Exactly, it takes a team to win the chip. Lot of elite QBs, heck LAC has an elite QB, how is that going for them. Takes coaching, talent in all 3 phases. The dif in the SB winner is what team surrounds their elite QB with the most.

"The arm arrogance"

Never heard that one before.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
"The arm arrogance"

ol arrogant noodle arm

"The arm arrogance"

ol arrogant noodle arm

That was Shaun Hill in the Mike Martz offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
All true. If I was to rank Brock I would put him below the elite tier of QBs at this point. His numbers and performance pass the smell test for sure, but the reality is that he hasn't won anything yet. Brock's status as elite will be written by his performance in the playoffs and his performance against elite opposition. Using a boxing analogy, a contender doesn't become the champ until he beats the champ. Patrick Mahomes earned his respect on the field, Purdy has a shot now.

I love Brock Purdy. It's obvious that he's got that leader mojo on the field. We're all waiting to see Brock against the elite QBs and teams and how he does in the playoffs. Looking forward to it. Can he engineer comebacks? Can we beat the eagles, bengals, and Chiefs?
What have Josh and Lamar won?
Has Lamar won a playoff game?

Great point! Brock's 2-0 in the playoffs when healthy. 👀

I haven't watched anyone else's analysis yet because I'm still finishing mine up and try and avoid any accidental plagiarism, so I'm ignorant as to what people have seen.

But, I am so freaking impressed with Brock Purdy. He's showing everything you could want from a QB in spades. He's on time, so freaking often. Disguise, post-snap shift of the defense, doesn't matter. He made so many high level plays this game.
I'm going to show a couple as teasers this morning on my pod at 7 AM PST. But there were 2 plays to open the game that were so high level from the neck up QB play.
His anticipation and timing on his throws is something we haven't seen since Young. It's been what I've been clamoring for, pretty much my whole time here.

It's why I wasn't as high on Kaepernick because he was always a tick slow on the timing - there was always an extra hitch in there. It's why I backed Jimmy because he was on time more than anyone else we'd had. Purdy is on another level from all the QB's we've had since I've been watching film, from an on-time perspective. The offense is running with the kind of timing and precision we used to see from Young/Montana. I really hate to say things like that and make comparisons like that so young in a guys career but it's true.

The stuff he's doing and in this offense is what got me interested in the scheme of offensive football in the first place and to see it run at this high level is just so fun to watch. Then, he's able to do the off-schedule stuff and make something out of nothing.
For real, the guy is showing everything you'd want from a QB. It's really something and kind of hard to believe for a 2nd year, 7th round pick.

If ANY of the first round QB's from 2021 were even playing like him this year, people would be talking about the next great, elite level signal caller on the block.

Agree 💯%, JD - his anticipation and timing are up there with the 49ers legendary players of old. Add in the 7th round cap effect of a very small cap salary and you get the cap benefits from Brock for the next few years. That cap effect may be even more important (in some senses) than his QB skills.

He's the perfect QB for a timing and rhythm system and - as you said - has the escapability when the play call is covered. One thing about arm strength. I think he has a lot stronger arm than most people realize. His anticipation and accuracy is so high that he doesn't need to use the full power of his arm 90% of the time, so his soft timing and touch passes misleads a lot of casual viewers to think his arm isn't very strong.

I still remember Phil Simms saying that Walsh (in his passing tryout before the draft) was asking him to throw with so much touch that he was tempted to throw the pass under hand.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Literally every QB on every football team in America is dependent upon the system, weapons around him, OL, and play calling. It's such a lazy and ignorant argument.
Originally posted by Furlow:

Literally every QB on every football team in America is dependent upon the system, weapons around him, OL, and play calling. It's such a lazy and ignorant argument.

Yup. I think the discussion only gets real along those lines, when it's 2nd contract time, then you are trying to evaluate the player, independent of the situation,

one of the disconnects I see with the fanbase, fans are eager to say he's elite in his game, yet when you suggest he's a $60m+ aav player, fans will do a Lee Corso, not so fast, my friend.. and start talking about him taking a discount..

"The arm arrogance"

Armdacity
Share 49ersWebzone