There are 157 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock is 8th in the league in intermediate pass attempt %, 13th in deep pass attempt %, 33rd in short pass attempt % and 29th in passes behind the line of scrimmage.

what is pass attempt % ?

it's looking at distribution of the football to areas of the field, and normalizing for attempts
so what percentage of his passes are intermediate, deep, etc. you can define by various yard markers, usually intermediate is 10-20 yds
Brock is 8th in the league in intermediate pass attempt %, 13th in deep pass attempt %, 33rd in short pass attempt % and 29th in passes behind the line of scrimmage.

what is pass attempt % ?

I assume how often he throws to that part of the field.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

what is pass attempt % ?

it's looking at distribution of the football to areas of the field, and normalizing for attempts
so what percentage of his passes are intermediate, deep, etc. you can define by various yard markers, usually intermediate is 10-20 yds

gotcha
Originally posted by BrockIsHim:
We need to take over the Link and after crushing the Eagles chant "Brocky! Brocky"!

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'm curious what percentage of Purdy's yards are YAC as compared to previous Shanahan QBs.

It appears that Purdy is doing more of the heavy lifting in this offense, which makes me feel he's adding to the system, not just a product of the system.

2019- 60.9% or 2,453 YAC out of 4,029 total passing yards.

2020- 53.4% or 2,306 YAC out of 4,320 total passing yards.

2021- 59.0% or 2,617 YAC out of 4,437 total passing yards.

2022- 64.1% or 2,597 YAC out of 4,049 total passing yards.

2023- 45.8% or 1,319 YAC out of 2,878 total passing yards.

YAC bro is like the local statistician. Lmao I love it.

that's actually a really cool data point regarding how much more aggressive Brock is, IMO. I feel like it demonstrates how he throws it further down the field than jimmy/previous QBs.

I know this is only one stat, but it goes to show why I think the system QB narrative fit the previous QBs we've had here, not Brock though.

Thanks Yac BTW.

The wider data sets we've got of other QBs in our system, besides jimmy, really proves that narrative - IMO. I supported jimmy but in hindsight, I was giving him too much credit. I didn't think he was a top 5 qb or anything but I thought he was doing a pretty good job (within reason and understanding he was also limited). Now, I just think Kyle was doing an excellent coaching job that I was under appreciating.

the eye test will tell you that Jimmy was being a system qb and that Brock Is elevating the system - he's taking advantage of what the system provided and maximizing it. It's really cool to watch. It's nice to genuinely feel like I'm watching elite qb play by a qb in a 49ers uniform.
Most of us have been using the Joe and Steve comparison to Purdy, not their greatness but the similarities of they're playing style. And sometimes, if it's someone not a 49er, it's Drew Brees. But in my opinion, Purdy resembles more of Brett Favre's. His connection with Aiyuk reminds me of Favre to Freeman.
Originally posted by Montana:
The reason ppl have doubted BP: they are stupid

And strongarmsexuals

Steve had some words on this. He essentially said not having a super strong arm forces the QB to be right earlier, to be a quicker processor, and because he can't be "right" when he's wrong, he has to be right more.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Most of us have been using the Joe and Steve comparison to Purdy, not their greatness but the similarities of they're playing style. And sometimes, if it's someone not a 49er, it's Drew Brees. But in my opinion, Purdy resembles more of Brett Favre's. His connection with Aiyuk reminds me of Favre to Freeman.

I still see a combo of brees & romo

what about Mahomes and Romo
put those 2 together
Doug Flutie

Originally posted by thl408:
Brocky Balboa gonna knock them out.

Brockzilla
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by bud49:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
All true. If I was to rank Brock I would put him below the elite tier of QBs at this point. His numbers and performance pass the smell test for sure, but the reality is that he hasn't won anything yet. Brock's status as elite will be written by his performance in the playoffs and his performance against elite opposition. Using a boxing analogy, a contender doesn't become the champ until he beats the champ. Patrick Mahomes earned his respect on the field, Purdy has a shot now.

I love Brock Purdy. It's obvious that he's got that leader mojo on the field. We're all waiting to see Brock against the elite QBs and teams and how he does in the playoffs. Looking forward to it. Can he engineer comebacks? Can we beat the eagles, bengals, and Chiefs?
What have Josh and Lamar won?
Has Lamar won a playoff game?

Great point! Brock's 2-0 in the playoffs when healthy. 👀

I haven't watched anyone else's analysis yet because I'm still finishing mine up and try and avoid any accidental plagiarism, so I'm ignorant as to what people have seen.

But, I am so freaking impressed with Brock Purdy. He's showing everything you could want from a QB in spades. He's on time, so freaking often. Disguise, post-snap shift of the defense, doesn't matter. He made so many high level plays this game.
I'm going to show a couple as teasers this morning on my pod at 7 AM PST. But there were 2 plays to open the game that were so high level from the neck up QB play.
His anticipation and timing on his throws is something we haven't seen since Young. It's been what I've been clamoring for, pretty much my whole time here.

It's why I wasn't as high on Kaepernick because he was always a tick slow on the timing - there was always an extra hitch in there. It's why I backed Jimmy because he was on time more than anyone else we'd had. Purdy is on another level from all the QB's we've had since I've been watching film, from an on-time perspective. The offense is running with the kind of timing and precision we used to see from Young/Montana. I really hate to say things like that and make comparisons like that so young in a guys career but it's true.

The stuff he's doing and in this offense is what got me interested in the scheme of offensive football in the first place and to see it run at this high level is just so fun to watch. Then, he's able to do the off-schedule stuff and make something out of nothing.
For real, the guy is showing everything you'd want from a QB. It's really something and kind of hard to believe for a 2nd year, 7th round pick.

If ANY of the first round QB's from 2021 were even playing like him this year, people would be talking about the next great, elite level signal caller on the block.

Yeah it's weird that dudes who played professional football don't see this (Sharp for example). But, surprise surprise, almost all the former NFL QUARTERBACKS who evaluate him are singing his praises.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

what about Mahomes and Romo
put those 2 together

He has some Mahomes in him for sure. That's not a terrible comp I think. But he's got some Peyton Manning too, the way he diagnosis coverages.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The reason ppl have doubted BP: they are stupid

And strongarmsexuals

Steve had some words on this. He essentially said not having a super strong arm forces the QB to be right earlier, to be a quicker processor, and because he can't be "right" when he's wrong, he has to be right more.

Yeah, the main benefit of having a cannon is that you have more room for error to make up for mistakes. A majority of QBs in the nfl have the arm strength to make all the throws, just likely Purdy can. So it doesn't add an element to the passing game that can't be found without a cannon. It really just provides the qb a bigger room for error. You can be later on what you're supposed to be doing and just gun it in there.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

"The arm arrogance"

Never heard that one before.

Armdacity

That is now officially part of the lexicon.
Share 49ersWebzone