There are 234 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope it doesn't rain when we play on Sunday. Purdy seemed to not grip the ball well last time we played in the rain. That is my only concern for him so far.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Nov 27, 2023 at 7:40 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I'm curious what percentage of Purdy's yards are YAC as compared to previous Shanahan QBs.

It appears that Purdy is doing more of the heavy lifting in this offense, which makes me feel he's adding to the system, not just a product of the system.

2019- 60.9% or 2,453 YAC out of 4,029 total passing yards.

2020- 53.4% or 2,306 YAC out of 4,320 total passing yards.

2021- 59.0% or 2,617 YAC out of 4,437 total passing yards.

2022- 64.1% or 2,597 YAC out of 4,049 total passing yards.

2023- 45.8% or 1,319 YAC out of 2,878 total passing yards.

YAC bro is like the local statistician. Lmao I love it.

that's actually a really cool data point regarding how much more aggressive Brock is, IMO. I feel like it demonstrates how he throws it further down the field than jimmy/previous QBs.

I know this is only one stat, but it goes to show why I think the system QB narrative fit the previous QBs we've had here, not Brock though.

Thanks Yac BTW.

The wider data sets we've got of other QBs in our system, besides jimmy, really proves that narrative - IMO. I supported jimmy but in hindsight, I was giving him too much credit. I didn't think he was a top 5 qb or anything but I thought he was doing a pretty good job (within reason and understanding he was also limited). Now, I just think Kyle was doing an excellent coaching job that I was under appreciating.

the eye test will tell you that Jimmy was being a system qb and that Brock Is elevating the system - he's taking advantage of what the system provided and maximizing it. It's really cool to watch. It's nice to genuinely feel like I'm watching elite qb play by a qb in a 49ers uniform.

His insane accuracy is elite, for sure. That Aiyuk dot pass was Joe/Steve-esque.

I think Brock has played at an elite level, for sure. He's had a few hiccups here and there but I'd say at least 90% of his play this season has been in the elite category. His efficiency, with this o line, is special. Lol makes me wonder what he will look like when we somehow build up a top 5 o line.

I wish we had a top OLine right now, and maybe 5 trent williams on that line. Yeah, unrealistic I know. The cap limits how much talent we can retain on this team, unfortunately. Brock will never have a full compliment of weapons (offensive and defensive), due to the cap. Unlike back in the 80's when Eddie pretty much had two deep starters at every position.

I think one approach is that once Brock is paid his market value, the OLine *has* to be a priority because good OLinemen, I think (and I'll defer to AB81 on this) are cheaper than all star WR's, TE's and Rb's. In other words, a top flight OLine can make very good players (Wr's, RB's, TE's,) look like All pros. That may be a the way the 49ers can fit as much talent as they can under the salary cap.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope it doesn't rain when we play on Sunday. Purdy seemed to not grip the ball well last time we played in the rain. That is my only concern for him so far.

Agree, and he and the equipment manager may need to talk about some sort of rain gloves to help his grip and improve his passing in the rain.

So invest in o-line?

dunk that ball in water this week for practice
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

dunk that ball in water this week for practice

or practice with the sprinklers on.
Originally posted by Alfienator:

So invest in o-line?

one day we will get a serviceable right tackle, one day
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Agree, and he and the equipment manager may need to talk about some sort of rain gloves to help his grip and improve his passing in the rain.

Cutters
Originally posted by Alfienator:

So invest in o-line?

Im sure it will be a big priority this offseason. Especially now that we have first round picks again. Idc if it's IOL or T, take bpa at one those positions..
Going in to week 12, Brock Purdy is ranked as the #1 QB in these categories:

• QBR
  • NFL
  • Y/A
  • AY/A
  • Y/C
  • NY/A
  • ANY/A
  • COMP%

He is #2 in TD%.

We're not talking "Top 5." We're not talking "Top 10."

We're talking #1. The best.

And, this is with pass pro performance that everyone agrees is pretty average.

Is there a precedent for this? I don't think so.

We'll see as the tape keeps rolling in. But so far, it's a historic performance.

Someone forgot to tell the NFL he's a system quarterback with a noodle arm.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/passing.htm

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

tired of the is it Brock or is it the system debate. It's both. System means coaching, playcalling, talent around, we are elite in all those respects. That helps Brock be who he is. obviously he has game, or the results would be whatever Trey Lance was doing

I have never in my life...including the Montana and Young years, seen so many layered throws

Sure Montana dominated with Slants and Young was a better Post thrower.....but Brock has very rare (from my perspective) accuracy and anticipation to throw layered passes.

Besides that.... I have not watched a ballgame in years that did not run some version of a timing offense.

System QB came into vogue in the 80s to explain what Montana was doing with the WCO. All it meant at that time was the QB had a simplified read on the defense. You took one read at a time....mostly off of time, some times off of area. Roll right...you had an A read and a B read. Or the QB had Read 1 and 4 at step 3 and read 2 and 3 at step 5 based on the choice the QB made dropping back (time based). That was in contrast to say Dan Marino that had 4 reads simultaneously.

It use to mean how many balls can the QB keep in the air as he was juggling reads, ie mental power and does he have the arm to be a threat on all those reads. Marino could threaten any part of the field at any time, Joe had his skill players routed back to the middle of the field to counter act his weaker arm.

when "system QB" was coined....WRs did not go over the middle of the field. The 49ers having 2 WRs over 6 foot 200 pounds was a REALLY big deal. It would be the equivalent of the current 49ers having 2 6-5 250 pounds guys today. The 49er WRs were approaching TE size for some teams. The 49ers had lineman that were 6-3 250 pounds compared to Dwight Clark at 6-4 220 pounds. Could you imagine a WR 30-40 pounds lighter than a current lineman? dude would massive.

So yeah, "system" QB had pre snap reads, easy progression, and WRs willing to work with his arm strength by going over the middle.

We all see it every week, there is no team that does not throw in the middle of the field now. There is no team that does not run timing routs with rout trees.

System QB does not mean anything these days.

Great points! I agree about big WR's. Deebo is almost a small TE at around 220 lbs. Then, of course, you have actual tight ends in Kittle and Juszczyk. To me, the longer Brock plays with Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle etc... the more they can grow their game, some would call it a system. I.e. those Purdy-Deebo-Aiyuk choice routes can become unstoppable if the WR and QB are reading the same defensive coverages and on the same page with the choice or option routes. The only way to mess with the timing and synchronicity of those option read routes is via some type of zone blitz that is designed to mess up a QB's reads. Then if that's the case, you just line up and run the ball against a zone blitzing team.

Reminds me of in the America's Game episode on SB23 and the drive, Rodger Craig and Brent Jones both said "we are all extensions of each other". A great QB is a part of a bigger system of guys all moving in sync with each other towards a championship. The WCO then and now is poetry in motion when you have all the guys you need to execute it.

Agree and I think Kyle has the players to run his version of a precision and timing offense. On top of that, he has his own read options with the multiple widebacks he has in Deebo and CMC. I think those flea flickers are an example of how Kyle can fake teams out of their socks, which is essentially what an eagle RPO kind of does. Tough to defend two runners (Hurts and Swift) even tougher to defend three (CMC, Deebo, and Brock).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm curious what percentage of Purdy's yards are YAC as compared to previous Shanahan QBs.

It appears that Purdy is doing more of the heavy lifting in this offense, which makes me feel he's adding to the system, not just a product of the system.

that's actually a really cool data point regarding how much more aggressive Brock is, IMO. I feel like it demonstrates how he throws it further down the field than jimmy/previous QBs.

I know this is only one stat, but it goes to show why I think the system QB narrative fit the previous QBs we've had here, not Brock though.

Thanks Yac BTW.

The wider data sets we've got of other QBs in our system, besides jimmy, really proves that narrative - IMO. I supported jimmy but in hindsight, I was giving him too much credit. I didn't think he was a top 5 qb or anything but I thought he was doing a pretty good job (within reason and understanding he was also limited). Now, I just think Kyle was doing an excellent coaching job that I was under appreciating.

the eye test will tell you that Jimmy was being a system qb and that Brock Is elevating the system - he's taking advantage of what the system provided and maximizing it. It's really cool to watch. It's nice to genuinely feel like I'm watching elite qb play by a qb in a 49ers uniform.

His insane accuracy is elite, for sure. That Aiyuk dot pass was Joe/Steve-esque.

I think Brock has played at an elite level, for sure. He's had a few hiccups here and there but I'd say at least 90% of his play this season has been in the elite category. His efficiency, with this o line, is special. Lol makes me wonder what he will look like when we somehow build up a top 5 o line.

I'm hoping it will look a bit like the Redskin Hogs OLine. They will need to find another Trent Williams, but what I like about the Hog line was they could man block with the best, they had good enough mobility to run the zone blocking, and they ran my favorite run blocking formation - the Counter Trey. If they get *two* good mobile offensive tackles, they can run the counter trey to either side!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Thanks Yac BTW.

I think he's doing more than taking advantage- he's developing another dimension to the Shanahan offense. Those clear out routes are now viable pass routes with Brock Purdy back there. Kyle can design pass routs for all available receivers that attack the whole field- not just a section or a area. The short passing game will always be a part of Kyle's offense, but those deeper dotAiyuk throws might become a bigger part of his offense as time goes on, and as the offensive line gets (hopefully) upgraded in the future.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Some people don't realize that's Charlie Woerner at the checkdown. Wideopen for a 1st down for sure but thinking it's a TD, they just don't know how slow Woerner is.

From jonnydel and JTO's breakdown of this play, we now know Aiyuk adjusted his route to Brock throwing him open, all within a nano second. Good s**t between Brock and Aiyuk
Share 49ersWebzone